What's new

Want to build IB for $600 (1 Viewer)

Sreeni

Grip
I want to help my friend build an IB sub for around $600. He has a huge room (roughly 25 x 23 x 15(height)) with an attic.
What would work and would an IB work for this price?

I think I can convince him that this is for 4 speakers and not the amp. But I would like to see if I can get 4 speakers and a Parts express amp for this price.

Which speakers will work well for this? (Shiva or DVC or other)
How much power do I need?

Thank you.
Sreeni

TimForman

Supporting Actor
$600 is right in the ballpark for two drivers and an amp. Do you really think you need 4 drivers? Of course, the more the merrier (think 12 dancing Shivas) but not necessary. Lots of choices this way. DPL12, Tempest, AV15. Guess it depends are whether you want the earth to move or not. Two of those drivers and a 300 watt amp would probably work great.

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
Heck, two 15" Dayton DVC's and two 250W Plate amps from parts express along with all the wood and paint can be had for $600. That's more than enough to fill a room of that size, in my opinion anyway.

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
You could probably buy 4 Dayton IB drivers and an amp for close to $600. The only problem here is that with 4 of those drivers, you are looking at either an 8-ohm or 2-ohm load. For four drivers, you would need in the neighborhood of 500W to bottom them out.

You could buy 4 Tempests and RDO them to end up with a 4-ohm load, but then you are looking at $600 just for the drivers.

Personally, I would probably build a cube manifold, and try it with 2 drivers. Then if I felt it wasn't enough I could pull it out, cut holes in the other two faces and install another two drivers.

RG

Tom-K

Stunt Coordinator
Rick, aren't the Dayton drivers, dual 8 ohms like the Tempests? If you have four, you should be able to wire in a series/parallel config to get you a total impedence of 4 ohms. If you buy (4) drivers, I think they are $125 a piece. That is $500 in drivers, and pick up the amp for about $200, and your good to go.

Sreeni

Grip
Is that the Dayton DVC 15" driver available at Parts Express.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=295-190&DID=7
What amp can I get for $200 good enough to drive these drivers.

I have never heard an IB. I have a Hsu VTF3 in my room (12 x 22 x 8 (height)) bought before I got interested into building speakers and this forum (you guys are convincing !!) My Hsu sounds good and my friend wants something to be better than mine after I kept quoting you guys. I told him based on reputation and ease to build (no finishing required) something like qn IB will probably sound great. Was I wrong? What kind of a response can I expect.

Thanks for your responses and encouragement.
Regards,
Sreeni

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Tom,

The Dayton IB drivers have single 8 ohm coils so that wiring a pair in parallel gives you a 4 ohm load. This is perfect for using the 300-794 amp.

Sreeni,

The above mentioned amp from Parts Express (#300-794) would be perfect for a pair of the Dayton IB drivers and will only cost you around $120.

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
Yup, thats the 15" DVC. The 250W plate amp (300-794) could probably run two of those, though at about $130 each an amp and $130 each a sub, you could fit two amps in your budget. I would go this route and build two seperate subs to be placed in different locations.

I'm not personally familliar with the IB line of dayton subs, but I know the DVC's (12 and 15s) quite well, and HIGHLY recommend them.

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
I personally have a twin-Tempest IB with the VC wired to RDO at a Q of .65, This allows me to wire the other two up for a 4-ohm load on a PE -794 amp. The Dayton IB drivers are nice in that they are already built for a Q of .65, and they have only slightly less displacement than the Tempests. Plus the Dayton IB's are a bit cheaper.

RG

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
Sreeni - I suggest you take Rick's Advice:

Personally, I would probably build a cube manifold, and try it with 2 drivers. Then if I felt it wasn't enough I could pull it out, cut holes in the other two faces and install another two drivers.
Pair two 15" PE 295-455 IB drivers with a PE 300-794 amp, and I think you'll have all the bass a sane person needs for about $380 in parts. If your friend is insane, add two more drivers and another amp, and the whole neighborhood can enjoy his movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks