Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Movies that you think deserve/ need a special edition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#1 of 50 Mark Pytel

Mark Pytel

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 02:45 PM

Yes, I know that this thread is also in studio feedback, but I thought that if I put it in two areas that it will get more feedback!!1:wink:

Here are some of the movies that I think deserve to be re-released due to the fact that they deserve a good special edition with extras and possibly extended versions that have been seen on tv and online! We need new special editions of movies other than the American Pie movies
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

-Waterworld (I think that this movie really deserves a new version! I have seen the extended cut of the movie and I think that it adds so much to the movie! As you know, this movie at one point was the most expensive movie! There could be so many cool featurettes on this movie! It needs either an extended cut or deleted scenes!)

---Hard Target (John woo's Director's cut is so much better than the version that was released! We need to have it on dvd as my tape is getting worn out!! I am sure that woo would love to make a special edition dvd of this movie!)

---Ransom (I have the director's cut of this movie on LD, and I think that it would be great to have it on dvd! We already know from ed tv and beautiful mind that ron howard likes the dvd format and would be more than happy to make extras!)

-Far and Away (Here is another howard movie that needs a special edition. I have seen the longer cut of this and it add so much to this already great movie! Please release the added scenes on dvd!!)

-Backdraft (We need a better version of this on dvd possibly with the deleted scenes and maybe featurettes!)

King Kong (1976) (I love this king kong remake! I would love to see production featurettes as well as all of the extended tv footage put onto a new se dvd and in 16:9 widescreen please

Posted Image
Frightener's (Universal what happened here, you release a super cool and super expensive ld of this movie then release a bare bones dvd! Now the Jackson is hot, you need to re-release his old movies! Many people including myself would love to see the director's cut of this movie and well as the extras from the LD

Superman (I was very pleased with the se that was released, but I would have liked to see the rest of the deleted footage that has been shown on tv, unlike many tv versions this one actually adds a great deal to the movie! Please if anything just release a deleted scenes discPosted Image

Superman II & Superman III & Superman IV ( All three of this films need a special edition dvd with their extended tv cuts, especially Superman II. I have seen the 156 minute version of Superman II and I must say that it is a much better movie than the one that was released in theaters! Also, I would love to see the screener 130 minute cut of Superman IV, I am sure that that version was a lot better than what was released!:b )

Dead Poets Society (Here is another movie that had a better ld than a dvd!Posted Image We need to have the extended cut availiable to us on dvd format!)

Spinal Tap & Apocalypse Now ( Here are two movies that have very long workprints each one being over 4.5 hours in lengthPosted Image I am not suggesting that we release the 4.5 version as an extended dvd! I would like to see all of this footage availaible as extras or as deleted scenes! Please, this extra footage is really good!)

I am sure that there are other movies that deserve se's so please add them, and maybe the studio's will listen!!

#2 of 50 Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 03:24 PM

Gremlins ! A 3 disc set with D.T.S. !!Comeon Warner !Posted Image
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#3 of 50 Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 03:52 PM

All these deserve better presentations- namely 16:9 enhanced wide screen versions, in addition to supplements:

SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS(Both Versions)
BRIGADOON (Both Versions)
SCREAM (Director's Cut)
ARMAGEDDON (Director's Cut)
HALLOWEEN: H20
FROM DUSK TILL DAWN
MIMIC
TIM BURTON'S THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS
MOONSTRUCK
LIFEFORCE
THE THING
PSYCHO
VERTIGO
TOWERING INFERNO
THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE
PLANET OF THE APES
(Original)

Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
2,000-plus Blu-ray & DVD reviews now playing...
http://www.thecinemalaser.com

#4 of 50 Randy B A

Randy B A

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 03:58 PM

titanic
top gun
true lies
conan the destroyer
comando
twins
kindergarden cop
running man
mission immpossible

#5 of 50 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 04:01 PM

Titanic most definitely.

Also I would just love to see a nice 2 disk SE of Deep Impact in 16x9 of course and with some documentaries on real near misses, impacts and of course the E.L.E. 65 million years ago.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#6 of 50 Brian PB

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

• 671 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 04:39 PM

Here are my choices (all have been released previously in Region 1):

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (Almodóvar/1988/MGM/UA)
Belle de jour (Buñuel/1967/Miramax)--a huge opportunity was lost with Miramax's recent re-release/price-drop-only of this title
Faces (Cassavetes/1968/Pioneer)
Mulholland Dr. (Lynch/2001/Universal)--nahh, I'm not asking for the impossible (a Lynch commentary), but a little explication would be nice à la Blue Velvet SE (MGM/UA)
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Demy/1964/Fox Lorber)
Shoeshine (De Sica/1947/Image)
The Bicycle Thief (De Sica/1948/Image)
Bonnie and Clyde (Penn/1967/Warner)
Chinatown (Polanski/1974/Paramount)
Stagecoach (Ford/1939/Warner)
The Searchers (Ford/1956/Warner)
Open City (Rossellini/1945/Image)
The Mirror (Tarkovsky/1974/Kino)
Double Indemnity (Wilder/1944/Image/Universal)
Ju Dou (Yimou/1990/Buena Vista)

#7 of 50 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 04:43 PM

Yes, I know that this thread is also in studio feedback, but I thought that if I put it in two areas that it will get more feedback!!

And you should also know that doing such is not permitted here. I closed the thread in Feedback. Since your thread is more conversational in nature, I'm letting this one stand.

#8 of 50 Brice

Brice

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 05:42 PM

BATMAN, BATMAN, BATMAN!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image ~Brice

#9 of 50 Jefe Noche

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 06:04 PM

American Beauty
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool"--Lester Bangs

#10 of 50 Derek Lauzon

Derek Lauzon

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 08:14 PM

Shawshank Redemption
Color of Money
Titanic
Deep Impact
Seven Samurai

#11 of 50 Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter

• 1,300 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 09:05 PM

Saving Private Ryan
A r t u r M e i n i l d
People Strategy Consultant (M.Sc. Eng.)Semi-professional Composer & Musician

#12 of 50 Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 09:18 PM

Fearless
Gone With The Wind
Seven Samurai
The Shawshank Redemption
Heat
Goodfellas
Dangerous Liaisons
The Apartment
L'Appartement
Heavenly Creatures
E-Mail | Collection

#13 of 50 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 09:29 PM

Heaven's Gate - The current DVD is non-anamorphic, and as the new region 2 SE of The Deer Hunter shows, Cimino is willing to do interviews and commentaries. A region 1 SE of The Deer Hunter is also needed.

Apocalypse Now - This is such a tricky one. Both versions? DTS? Hearts Of Darkness documentary? New documentary? Commentary by Coppola and cast and crew? I was surprised to see a SE of One From The Heart before this one.

Journey Through The Past - Neil Young's legendary out-there semi-documentary collage of images and sounds from 1972. Never released on home video. The bootleg DVDs are starting to appear on Ebay, so Shakey ought to get his own official version out on DVD with outtakes, etc.

Renaldo & Clara - Bob Dylan's legendary out-there semi-documentary collage of images and sounds from 1978. Never relesed on home video. 4-hour version, of course! Posted Image

Gordy

#14 of 50 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 10:22 PM

Raising Arizona, Ruthless People, Dazed and Confused and A Fish Called Wanda!

Posted Image

#15 of 50 Angelo.M

Angelo.M

Producer

• 4,007 posts

Posted September 16 2003 - 03:18 AM

Quote:
Ju Dou (Yimou/1990/Buena Vista)

Absolutely. And Yimou's Raise the Red Lantern as well.

Since it's been listed a couple of times in this thread, what is lacking in Criterion's Seven Samurai? Are folks looking for a better transfer, perhaps the more recently restored edition that toured theaters recently?

#16 of 50 ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted September 16 2003 - 03:37 AM

Shawshank Redemption is supposedly getting a 10th Anniversary re-release into theaters next year followed by a 2-Disc SE next fall. I read that on AICN a few months ago. I hope it pans out. Posted Image

#17 of 50 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,456 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted September 16 2003 - 03:38 AM

Gone With The Wind (which is rumored for 2004)

Just a remaster would get me to re-buy. The inclusion of a commentary or two, a music-only track, the making-of doc, and other features (perhaps the long lost trims found)

The Maltese Falcon

My vision of a good SE would feature a newly remastered transfer (the original is wonderful, but has some nitrate decomp and some dupe sections), perhaps a commentary by Roger Ebert, the radio show, and the two previous 1930's versions (which could fit on disc two). Also, it could retain the great TCM program on the trailers of Bogart's career.

"Weird Al" Yankovic: The Videos (remastered video/5.1 sound edition coming in November!)

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

Simply have a new 1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen presentation with DTS sound. Perhaps include the trailer and the deleted scenes. Perhaps Universal could go farther and include This Island Earth.

#18 of 50 Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted September 16 2003 - 03:52 AM

I'll second Dazed and Confused, Gone With The Wind and Heaven's Gate and also call for The Seachers,
The Wild Bunch
and 2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick didn't seem to have any problems with extras on Criterion's director-approved laserdisc boxset).

#19 of 50 DouglasBr

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted September 16 2003 - 04:03 AM

A few I'd like to see are:

Jean de Florette
Manon of the Spring
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Time Bandits (coming in '04!)
Oliver! (current one is good, but a little bare-bones)

#20 of 50 Haden

Haden

Supporting Actor

• 782 posts

Posted September 16 2003 - 04:50 AM

In addition to many ideas mentioned above:

Dick Tracy (I want all the deleted scenes!)

The Quick and the Dead (I wanna see the deleted stuff with Bruce Campbell)