Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE 09/17/'03: "Anomaly"

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 of 63 OFFLINE   Dan Paolozza

Dan Paolozza

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted September 18 2003 - 12:27 PM

No, I didn't see the Ferengi episode...the only TNG episode I can liken it to is the one where those people looking for trilithium try to steal it off of the Enterprise while the ship is undergoing some kind of decontamination or something, so the crew are all evacuated. However, I personally don't think this would be a fair accusation of "rehash." And I've probably only seen 70% of TOS episodes, and less of Voyager.

However, I have seen all of DS9 and TNG, and I don't have an example out of these series where "Anomaly" can fairly be charged as rehash. Are you referring to the piracy event? If so, we can stop the discussion now, because I don't consider a basic event in a given episode justify rehash. As I watch more and more reruns of TOS, I could accuse 60% of TNG as being rehash of TOS if I wanted to be loose about it.

"Anomaly" used a familiar basic plot or event - yes. However, I felt it had it's own distinct touches on it, such that I wasn't reminded of anything I'd seen previously while I watched it. I can't say the same for some more obvious carbon-copied storylines, like the one that seems to be recycled by each series every other year - the crew get sick, are either quarantined or "trapped" on the ship, while time runs out.

I can't see how "Anomaly" qualifies as 'rehash' unless you use a fairly low common denominator.

As for TOS - as I said, TNG often seems like the same script with a new setting. On the other hand, this series was ages ago, so rehashing of stories (let alone ideas, which is often all that is truly rehashed) barely bothers me. My apologies to those who were around to watch it 'ages ago,' but there's a "next generation" audience, too. Posted Image

So I guess I'm not just arguing rehash - I suppose I also think there's good rehash, and there's bad rehash. And "Anomaly" isn't bad regardless.

#42 of 63 OFFLINE   Mike Breeden

Mike Breeden

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted September 18 2003 - 12:38 PM

As for the Anomaly not affecting humans/people, the prisoner did mention that his facial disfigurment was caused by it. Maybe it happens over a period of time. Just my 3cents

#43 of 63 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted September 18 2003 - 01:04 PM

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. An anomoly that warps the decking of a starship, but doesn't, say, break the legs of the people walking on that deck. But, give it enough time, and it'll burn your face! The point is, people aren't special, as far as a physical phenomenon is concerned. They're just more matter in complicated, easily broken configurations.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#44 of 63 OFFLINE   Mike Breeden

Mike Breeden

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted September 18 2003 - 01:35 PM

So your point is that the anomaly should effect a person the same way it is affecting the metal/ship even though they made up of different compositions? If that was the case that would happen the same way on earth. So when one person catches a virus and dies then the next person that catches it should die? But that is not always the case (IE. SARS, AIDS), what causes whales to beach and not all whales or at least the same species of whales to beach. The point I was trying to make is that it can effect things differently. We do not know how long it took the prisoner to be disfigured. you assumed it was over time. Notice how the decking went back into place but the coffee cup did not returned to its position. Noticed that the aminals were affected but not the humans, etc

#45 of 63 OFFLINE   doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor

• 835 posts
  • LocationMackenzie, BC, Canada

Posted September 18 2003 - 01:35 PM

[quote] I don't have an example out of these series where "Anomaly" can fairly be charged as rehash. Are you referring to the piracy event? [quote]
?? The piracy event was the main plot point of the episode, wasn't it?

And no, no one's saying it's BAD rehash.. But it is rehash, low common denominator or not.

The TNG episode you mention is the one I had in mind also. And if you watch the Enterprise episode with the Ferengi you'll see what I mean.

But, I've said time and time again that after 40 years of television EVERY possible plot/event/twist has been explored and it is near impossible NOT to plagerize from one series and/or genre or another.

This episode had some fresh twists, which is why nobody's whining about it.. But it's a common theme that's already been used on Enterprise once, and on other Star Trek episodes countless times.. Let's hope it doesn't become excessive like the "prison break" episodes

#46 of 63 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted September 18 2003 - 01:56 PM

[quote] Notice how the decking went back into place but the coffee cup did not returned to its position. Noticed that the aminals were affected but not the humans, etc [quote] You say that like it's a good thing. But it's not; by just having the anomolies do any thing at any time with no consistency, they feel less real. They become nothing more than plot devices, rather than a logical part of the show's world.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#47 of 63 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,816 posts

Posted September 18 2003 - 03:55 PM

[quote] How funny would it have been when they saw the Sphere that one of the crewmembers says:
"Oh my god, it's the Death Star" Then mentioning "you know from that old scifi movie." [quote]

Actually that would have been pretty funny. I always thought part of Farscape's charm was Crighton's 20th Century entertainment references, including occaisional nods to Star Trek.

Not a bad episode. Although Archer's grim determination may get old fairly quickly.

I do fear that even though the show may be improving, Smallville is gonna crush it. And I'm not even much of a Smallville fan. I keep asking myself... "How come Lex won't recognize Clark as Supes in the future?"

Ric

#48 of 63 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted September 18 2003 - 05:40 PM

[quote] They become nothing more than plot devices, rather than a logical part of the show's world. [quote]
McCoy: "Logic? My God, the man's talking about logic!"

Suspension of disbelief is the issue here. Some of us can stretch it, others clearly cannot. Posted Image Posted Image

#49 of 63 OFFLINE   Don S

Don S

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted September 19 2003 - 01:25 AM

One of the best episodes of the series. A striking difference to many of the eposiodes, I was interested from start to finish.
Don

#50 of 63 OFFLINE   Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted September 19 2003 - 01:32 AM

OK, folks, I am going to assert that Star Trek is alive and well. Not because "Anomoly" was a great episode of "Enterprise" (it was) or a good episode of "Star Trek" (it was that too) but because...wait for it...

There is enough in the episode for people to GET all "fannish" about. I mean, if you (jason for one) are nitpicking how the spatial anomolies work then there must not have been much wrong with the episode as entertainment.

I really enjoyed it. It was good storytelling for ONCE; I adore the new details on the exteriors of the NX-01. I didn't think "that's cool CGI" I thought "that's a cool Enterprise." Granted, the shuttle pod doing a backflip was silly and totally under-rendered in detail but it was a joke anyway. It was supposed to be funny, and I thought it was.

There were better directed chase/battles in this episode than in all of Nemesis.

The story of the NX-01's search for the Xindi was forwarded, as were details about them. ARcher is angry. So what? Let him be, he has good reason to be. They are way the fock over their heads with inferior technology. It's like a wilderness out there, wait could that be a "Wagon Train to the stars parallel? Posted Image It's more realistic a characterization for him to be angry than Trip. Trip is too exhausted to feel angry from the grief of his loss (or something else that is affecting his sleep pattern and not just T'Pol's boobage. Stay tuned!)

I am looking forward to next week as much as I am to the Smallville premiere and I am a fan of Smallville.

I missed the preview on my PVR. Can someone link me to scenes from next week?
Ivan Lindenfeld

#51 of 63 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,805 posts

Posted September 19 2003 - 04:28 AM

Ivan, not sure but previews might be available from either www.startrek.com or trekweb.com

Nelson

#52 of 63 OFFLINE   Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted September 19 2003 - 05:54 AM

Thanks, Nelson it was on Startrek.com. Looks good, and proves that we have an actual story arc on our hands for sure!
Ivan Lindenfeld

#53 of 63 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted September 19 2003 - 06:18 AM

[quote] McCoy: "Logic? My God, the man's talking about logic!" [quote]

Posted Image Good one Philip.

How can one apply logic when logic doesn't apply?

Posted Image

#54 of 63 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,805 posts

Posted September 19 2003 - 07:03 AM

You're welcome Ivan. Glad you found it there.

#55 of 63 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted September 22 2003 - 10:07 AM

"Delenda est . . . . "

#56 of 63 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted September 22 2003 - 10:18 AM

Nelson Au wrote (post #22):

[quote] [quote]
Actually, that was one the two "biggies" that ultimately and utterly turned me off of Farscape. The characters' dialog in a dramatic presentation should always be addressed to each other and not to the audience. TV/movie references are always addressed to the audience [WINK-WINK-WINK], as far as I can tell.

"Delenda est . . . . "

#57 of 63 OFFLINE   Dan Paolozza

Dan Paolozza

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted September 22 2003 - 03:49 PM

That's pretty damning, as far as plot synopses go. I've never seen that episode of Voyager, or any of those listed for that matter - but it sure looks like a Voyager story redone on Enterprise. In fact, based on this week's synopsis, I'm starting to wonder if 90% of the scripts are just old Voyager scripts dusted off (whether they were produced and aired or not) and produced for this series. And I'm not talking about the same basic idea or event built into the world of Enterprise. It seems many of these Voyager episodes would probably look verbatim in script form to their Enterprise equivalents.

#58 of 63 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,805 posts

Posted September 22 2003 - 04:43 PM

I don't think the "Void" is close enough to warrent calling it rehashed on Enterprise. The only resemblence is the stealing of supplies. The motives of Archer and the resolutions are different. I admit that there is a sufficient amount of evidence for anyone to make this accusation, but I think the story of Anomoly resolved itself differently enough to put it apart. And next week's Extinction does sound like a rehash, but again, no one outside of the production company has seen it yet. So it could surprise. My 2 cents anyway.

#59 of 63 OFFLINE   Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted September 23 2003 - 12:00 AM

Rex, on the downlaoding of computer files and telling how much was done, etc., that's easy. All ships, no matter the race who designed them, use the new Microsoft IS (Inter-Stellar) operating system. Posted Image

#60 of 63 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted September 23 2003 - 01:31 AM

Rex, you're right about the translation and database stuff, and I thought about all that. I think the reason it doesn't really bother me, though, is because the very basic set premise of the franchise is implausible: an endless amount of alien races that are very close to human, easily communicate, and even mate. If Warf and Dax can have a kid, then Hoshi can understand the Xindi database.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users