What's new

Certain DVD's won't Play on JVC XV-D701BK (1 Viewer)

Ron Schildt

Agent
Not sure whether this should be in the hardware or software area, but I'm assuming it's a hardware related problem.

Last Spring I purchased a new Sony 875P 301 Changer to replace my JVC XV-D701BK player. I moved the JVC up to the bedroom, and use it only occationaly. I decided to try and watch Alias last night in the bedroom, and when I inserted the first disk, after attempting to read it, the player just spit the disk out again. I tried to insert it about a dozen times, and it wouldn't read the disk. I put in a different disk (Godfather Supplement disk) and it read fine. Then tried disk #2 of Alias, and the same thing happened, it would not read the disk.

This happened only once before with a rented movie, which I returned and got another which also didn't work (don't remember for sure what the movie was - it was over a year ago, but it might have been "Scary Movie").

Anyone know of problems with this player that it doesn't read certain formats of DVD's? Is there something special with the Alias disks compared to other DVD's?

Any help would be appreciated.

On a side note....If I need to look for a new DVD player for the bedroom, what's an inexpensive model that's good? I don't forsee me ever having a Dolby Digital/DTS need in the bedroom, since we'll only use the TV speakers, but we are talking about a plasma screen when the prices come down, so a progessive scan player might be nice. Looking in the $150 price range if possible.

TIA.....

Chad-St

Auditioning
I also recently replaced my JVC 701BK and moved it to the bedroom. I used it for years and it has always been a glitchy player. In fact there was even a class action lawsuit against certain JVC and Panasonic players, this being on of them.

Anyway, I’ve had DVD’s not work and some get stuck in the middle. The “fix” for it on the JVC website is to reset the EEPROM. Here are their instructions:

1. Make sure there is no Disc in the tray.

2. Shut off the unit and unplug it from the AC outlet.

3. Press and hold the "On Screen" and "Title" Keys, simultaneously.

4. While holding these keys, plug the AC cord back into the outlet. (TEST JC3 or JC2 will appear on the display)

5. Release these keys and then press the "Enter" key.

6. The "Resume" light will illuminate. (initialization is complete)

7. Press the "Power button" to turn the unit off.

8. Press the "Power button" to turn the unit back on. (your player should be functioning properly now.)

9. If your DVD player continues to malfunction, we recommend that you have the unit examined by a JVC Factory or Authorized Service Facility.

Give that a try. Remember, it will reset all your DVD player settings to default. So you’ll need to hit the “OnScreen” button when you have no disc in the drive and set those back up.

Mark molson

Auditioning
Funny,

I have a JVC D701 too.

I had the same thing happen a while back with Scary Movie. It just spat it back out. i am having the same problem with Little house on the Prarie Season 1 discs 1 and 2.

I tried reseting it and still the same problem. I really don't want to get a new DVD player!

Any solutions froom anyone?

mark

Mark molson

Auditioning
Imavision distributes the Little House DVDs.
I have had the discs replaced by Imavision two times and still the same problem. I guess I have to buy a new player now just to play these DVDs
:frowning:

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
My XV-D701 won't read any disc, just displays, "No disc" on both DVDs and CDs. After trying the reset to no avail, I took it apart and cleaned the laser, which also did not work.
When you get a "No disc" message that is not fixed by either of the above actions, what is the most likely problem? Bad laser? I don't know if it is worth trying to replace the laser.
This was a pretty good DVD and CD player, as it has the JVC K2 Interface, so it would be nice to get it running again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks