Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Onkyo TX-SR800 and TX-SR701

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 James::Mc

James::Mc

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 11:04 AM

Anyone who has experience with these receivers that can share some pros/cons? Is the basic difference just the THX certification for the SR800 (and hence the price delta)? Thanks!

#2 of 5 Chuck Watwood

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 02:48 PM

I have had the TX-Sr800 for the past year. I am very happy with this amp. Its not THX certified that I know of. In my opinion, that is a waste of money. This receiver has done everything I have wanted it to. There are many Denon people on this forum and Denon makes a great product, however, they seem to bash the Onkyo's. The complaint is that they think Onkyo receivers in general are underpowered. I like the sound of mine and it powered my polk speakers just fine. I have, I might add, gone to 3 200 watt mono amps to power the center and fronts. This receiver runs hot when all speakers are coupled and pushed. Since adding the mono amps, it runs barely warm. This receiver has bells and whistles that many more expensive amps have. I think its an excellent buy. I may be selling mine next year, I am stepping up to separates. I would recommend this receiver unconditionally.
Chuck Watwood

Hello my name is Chuck and I'm an HT addict.

#3 of 5 James::Mc

James::Mc

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted September 16 2003 - 02:25 PM

It does have select THX certification....

Maybe I should be asking if anyone knows anything bad about the Onkyo TX-SR800, which is where I'm heading. I have been considering this, the Denon-2803 and the HK 525, but the Onkyo has more features for the $ and also a great sound (though I've only listened to all three for a short period of time). I would be coupling this with a 5.1 set of Ascends (CBM-170's for front and rear, VTF-2 sub, and their new center speaker).

Just trying to cover all my bases before I spend some dough.

#4 of 5 JustinG

JustinG

Stunt Coordinator

• 114 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 07:39 AM

I think you might have missed one huge difference in the 2 receivers.

The 800 is a 7.1 receiver, and the 701 is a 6.1 channel receiver. Major difference to a lot of people.

I;m already wired for 7.1, so I'm looking at the 800. Both are THX select cert'd also. I didn't go into all the minutae of both, but they look very similar in specs minus the extra channel.

Hmm, the 800 may offer the Zone 2 option where the 701 doesn't but I didn't look at that specifically.

#5 of 5 Tuan Le

Tuan Le

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted September 24 2003 - 10:37 AM

Just want to let you guys know, I just bought the TX-SR800 at onecall.com for $712 shipped (ask for Michael). That is the best price I've found so far. Additionally, onecall.com is an authorized dealer for Onkyo. Posted Image

The unit is scheduled for delivery this Friday. I will report back after few days of usage.

Cheers
-Tuan