What's new

Simpsons: Season 4 When? (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Really, if they don't speed up, one has to wonder when exactly we'll have the complete Simpsons show in our collection. If ever.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
This once a year release with a top selling show is just ridiculous...

Do you realize we will all be about 13-20 years older (depending on when the show ends) and probably through yet another format change by the time the entire collection is released if they continue at this snails pace???

That in itself is scarier than any price increase they may throw at us... ;)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, I think it is going to be another year. I read a recent article with Al Jean who pretty much said the lengthly release schedule is pretty much all due to them because they still have to work on the first run shows. I think there were some other theories out there, but Jean did not mention anything else other than their busy schedules. He suggested that they were going to start recording commentaries in the winter "Like last time" so we are probably looking at the same time frame. It will probably stay that way until the show ends.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
It's been explained that the commentaries aren't what's holding the sets up. It's supposed to be because of the mastering they used for the first couple of seasons. Honestly, to make up for this...if whatever the holdup is resolved, they should bang them out every 4 months... lol

Galen_V

Second Unit
IGN DVD: On to the DVDs. Why such a delay getting them out?
Al Jean: You know, I'll tell you what it was. The writers who would have to do the commentary are trying to make the show stay good. To me, the current show is the priority. The DVDs can always come out. We finally had the time to do these commentaries. Some of the cast appear on these, too, and there's a lot of different aspects to the Simpson world and to me, the prime time show is the most important...We're not trying to do everything and burn it out.
The link to the full article is above. I really don't see how the commentaries are that big of a deal to do. I mean, if they do one 22 minute episode a day for a month and leave work 1/2 hour later, isn't the time spent worth the extra millions they will be getting in their piggy bank? Beats me.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I really don't see how the commentaries are that big of a deal to do. I mean, if they do one 22 minute episode a day for a month and leave work 1/2 hour later
I'm not sure it's that simple. I think these guys already work ridiculously long hours to begin with. Most of them have families as well. The S3 commentaries give some idea of this. But at least we're lucky enought to have the people behind the show so insistent on participation and actually wanting to provide commentary as opposed to some who refuse to do it or just phone in their commentaries, even if it means having to wait longer. Although, it is admittedly a tough wait

Daniel J.S.

Stunt Coordinator
Since Al Jean is currently running the show, that's no doubt eating up his time. Once Season 4 is out and we're past the Jean/Mike Reiss shows the pace will hopefully pick up with the David Mirkin shows from 5 and 6, the Oakley/Weinstein shows from 7 and 8 and the Mike Scully shows from 9 through 12. They will probably have more time, since they don't have to worry about running the show.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure they would, but honestly, I still don't see how every single episode needs a commentary...

I'm planning on stopping around Season 9 or so. But I didn't even bother picking up Season 3. I'm just going to wait a few years until 4-7 are available, then pick them all up at once. This is riduculous.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
My money is on next August/September as well.

I actually thought they'd start curtailing the commentaries at or shortly after this point for lack of anything else to say. Although I have yet to purchase S3, I now admit that I would sincerely miss having the commentaries on every episode. I can just hear the complaints if they only did commentaries for 6 or 7 of the 'most popular' episodes from this point forward. Almost every episode from the next 3 seasons is considered excellent and a lot of people would no doubt be disappointed if certain episode didn't include commentaries.

I can appreciate the hectic schedules these people keep and getting everyone together to record these must be a nightmare.

My mind still isn't made up as to whether I'd rather have quicker releases or commentaries on every episodes. Or like many have speculated, perhaps it isn't the commentaries that are holding up the releases at all (although that is the 'official' answer). There could a lesser-known, unmentioned problem.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy,

I think you hit it right on the head with that. As soon as commentaries start to phase out, you'll hear the same people complain that the commentaries are going away. People are saying "Well there's probably not much to say anymore" I don't think this is true. Every episode has got to have some specific info that is not redundant. Besides, the commentaries are a delight to listen to anyway. It's all very lively. You can really tell how much they love the show. Listening to them makes me wish I had a job there. The only thing about them that is a bit annoying is that they seem to repeat their own questions and observations alot. For example, you will see a secondary character for the 2nd or 3rd time during the run of the season and one will ask "Is this the fisrt time we're seeing ....." Or for example, they remark several times that Chief Wiggum was not quite "on model" yet and the voice has not yet evolved into the Edward G. Robinson impersonation as it is today. Those things aside, I truly hope that they do not start to phase out the commentaries and I hope that the aforementioned, show running successors decide to participate in the sets as well. Also, I'm dying for one more thing on these sets. That would be a full length documentary on the making of The Simpsons. But, if somehow they could shave down the period between sets to say 9 months........

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
No matter what the problem is if Fox respect the millions worldwide who bought the first three seasons then next year they owe us THREE boxsets. Season 4 in March, Season 5 in July and season 6 in November. There making millions from these sets. Pay the actors over time or give them a nice little bonus but get it done a bit quicker. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Feh. If the work on the current show is what's holding up the dvds, cancel the stupid show. It's terrible now. I would much rather be able to watch dvds of several seasons worth of good episodes than the trash they put out now.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
While I would love to have quicker releases, there are plenty of things being released every week to keep me busy. I haven't even had a chance to pick up Season 3 yet.

Britton

Screenwriter
Feh. If the work on the current show is what's holding up the dvds, cancel the stupid show. It's terrible now. I would much rather be able to watch dvds of several seasons worth of good episodes than the trash they put out now.
It's almost as if you had the ability to read my mind. I completely agree. As a matter of fact, I don't even watch the show on Sunday nights anymore.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I agree as well... I stopped watching a couple years ago... I dont watch Sunday nights anymore either... This is just a case of another show rocketing to the grave... Staying on too long and going out on a low note... Although, most shows get sucky during there last few seasons... Thats why they go off... It would be much better for the show as well as the shows world if they went out on a high note...

Still, that doesnt mean I dont want Simpsons season sets... I do... Just not the later ones...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks