Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Smallville or Ed?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted September 13 2003 - 09:21 AM

I realize that I may be part of a very small group, but I'm completely p***ed about the WB's moving "Smallville" to Wednesdays and NBC keeping "Ed" on that same night. While I have A TIVO, I can't watch one and record the other, especially not in High Def.

I'm madder at the WB since I suspect that part of the reasoning behind the "Smallville" move was to shore up "Angel" which, brother Kleist notwithstanding, is moribund. And with no Sunday EZ View, I have to choose. It'll probably be "Ed." A small thing for sure. But it stinks just the same.
What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow out of this stony rubbish? Son of Man. You cannot say, or guess, for you know only a heap of broken images . . .

T.S. Eliot, The Wasteland

#2 of 18 MattGentry

MattGentry

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted September 13 2003 - 09:29 AM

Well, I'm going to watch one and record the other on my VCR (haven't gotten a TIVO...yet). However, I'm upset because I wanted to try and see how Enterprise's new direction was going. But I'll pick Ed/Smallville over Ent. any day of the week.

Looks like I'll just have to try and catch it on Saturday now.

#3 of 18 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,625 posts

Posted September 13 2003 - 10:56 AM

Ah...VCRs are cheap if you really need to record 2 shows while watching a 3rd at the same time slot. I'm going to get a lot of mileage out of my 3 ReplayTV setup this fall season. Posted Image

I'll be watching Smallville in HDTV because it just feel right to watch it in HD vs. Ed, and oh, I don't quite get NBC in HD with my current antenna setup yet, so the choice is much easier...
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#4 of 18 Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted September 13 2003 - 01:15 PM

And with no Sunday EZ View, I have to choose

Really? Bah, I guess I'm gonna have to go with plan B.Posted Image
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!
"I am the Doctor of Death, and I have come to cure you of your life." --Endless Mike, The Adventures of Pete and Pete

#5 of 18 Nathan_W

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator

• 203 posts

Posted September 13 2003 - 01:45 PM

I feel exactly the same way. Too bad for me, no VCR, Tivo, etc. I'll be watching Ed, and Smallville during commercials Posted Image . I really wish the WB would keep Sunday's EZ View repeats of the current season instead of going to Smallville: Beginnings. No need to show season 1 and 2 again.

Cmmon' WB, pretty please w/ sugar on top!
I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!

#6 of 18 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,625 posts

Posted September 13 2003 - 04:28 PM

But VCRs are like $50 or less if you get them on sale some times. Don't let a small amount for the VCR rob you of some good, otherwise, inexpensive entertainment.

#7 of 18 Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 12:29 AM

Quote:
But VCRs are like $50 or less if you get them on sale some times. Don't let a small amount for the VCR rob you of some good, otherwise, inexpensive entertainment.

It's not the money, Patrick. It's that my TIVO is connected to my digital cable box. (I get HDTV via Cox of Fairfax, VA.) Renting a second box, which i assume would be the procedure, to record "Smallville" strikes me as excessive, especially since, as I noted earlier, I suspect that the decision that nessecitates this strategy is a desire to prop up a show whose raison d' etre and direction went "poof!" last year.

What I'm hoping for is that whatever took "Smallville's" place on Tuesday night goes into the toilet fast and the WB moves it back. Or, that it finds the ratings on Wednesdays at 8 lower than it used to be.

I know that I'm part of a tiny minority but, in the end, Smallville, for all its charms, is another teen angst show, albeit the best ever made. "Ed" is sui generis.
What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow out of this stony rubbish? Son of Man. You cannot say, or guess, for you know only a heap of broken images . . .

#8 of 18 Ryan_C

Ryan_C

Second Unit

• 375 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 01:28 AM

Nope, I am in the same situation, and I will be choosing Ed. As much as I like Smallville, I enjoy Ed quite a bit more. And I don't get either in HD, so that isn't a factor.
Youth would be an ideal state if it came much later in life.

#9 of 18 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,625 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 06:12 AM

You can still split off your cable feed and record the analog cable TV signal with a 2nd VCR or TIVO (tell it the hook up is direct cable TV hookup). Just because you have "Digital Cable" doesn't mean you don't get the analog feed that's feeding your neighbor without the digital cable box setup.

#10 of 18 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 09:37 AM

well I would pick Smallville at that time, I have no idea what Ed is about ?

Enlighten me

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#11 of 18 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,052 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 14 2003 - 09:57 AM

Ed's about a lawyer who runs his firm out of a bowling alley and juggles at least two relationships at any given time that never seem to go anywhere.

(Can you tell I'm a Smallville fan?Posted Image)

#12 of 18 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,625 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 10:11 AM

Actually, Ed finally got Carol to see things his way.
They get to explore their relationship this season, instead of subjecting the viewers to a 3rd season of Ed chasing Carol and vice-versa.

#13 of 18 Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 10:12 AM

Quote:
Ed's about a lawyer who runs his firm out of a bowling alley and juggles at least two relationships at any given time that never seem to go anywhere.

Well, when you put it that way, Smallville is about a teenager who is also juggling two relationships that never seem to go anywhere, either. Posted Image Like Ed, Clark has problems with commitment: he has managed to break both Lana and Chloe's hearts. And a third woman who loved him died. Actually, Carol and Franky should consider themselves fortunate.

For our British cousins, Ed is a quirky combination of comedy and drama about second chances that insists, Thomas Wolfe notwithstanding, that you can go home again.

#14 of 18 Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 10:27 AM

Not a problem as I have HD recording capability. Now Enterprise is another matter but since it's not HD yet I'll tape it. Later this year I should have a Comcast HD/SD PVR which will pick up the load as HD conflicts become more frequent.

#15 of 18 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,052 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 14 2003 - 10:44 AM

Quote:
Well, when you put it that way, Smallville is about a teenager who is also juggling two relationships that never seem to go anywhere, either. Posted Image
Yeah, but Clark can zap shit his eyes! If Ed starts zapping shit with his eyes, I'll switch over:p) Posted Image

#16 of 18 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,625 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 03:24 PM

You ain't seen what Ed will do to win a $10 bet!

#17 of 18 Rocky F

Rocky F

Second Unit

• 371 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 03:32 PM

Count me in the Smallville camp. Ed fits into a list of shows that I have heard alot about, and realize that they're pretty good, but I just don't have the time to worry about. Actually Enterprise fits that bill too, although as an old ST fan, I check up on it from time to time. I also don't have HD yet, so that's not an issue. For me That 70's Show is my other show in that slot.
Rocky

#18 of 18 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 04:11 PM

I'd go with Smallville, but I also lost patience with Ed about a year and a half ago, midway through the second season. Supposedly, they've set themselves up to make a turnaround, but it's too late for me.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

Forum Nav Content I Follow