Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HBO's "Carnivale" (SPOILERS!)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
309 replies to this topic

#1 of 310 Vlad D

Vlad D

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted September 13 2003 - 02:23 AM

Anyone looking forward to this show.

Quote:
1934. The Dustbowl. The last great age of magic. In a time of titanic sandstorms, drought and pestilence - signs of God's fury and harbingers of the Apocalypse - the final conflict between good and evil is about to begin. The battle will take place in the Heartland of an empire called America. And when it is over, man will forever trade away wonder for reason.

Official Site

Here is an article, I just read about it online, in the Kansas City Star. Link.

Looks promising. It debuts Sunday September 14th at 9:35 PM ET.

#2 of 310 Peter McM

Peter McM

Supporting Actor

• 914 posts

Posted September 13 2003 - 05:10 AM

I'm buying a ticket to this surreal sideshow.
I am Car Salesman of Borg. You will be assimilated with no money down and easy terms available.

#3 of 310 Lowell_B

Lowell_B

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted September 13 2003 - 05:16 AM

I'll definately be checking it out tomorrow. It looks like it has some real promise. Of course it doesn't hurt that it's going to be in HD. Posted Image

#4 of 310 JeremyFr

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts

Posted September 13 2003 - 05:48 AM

Quote:
I'll definately be checking it out tomorrow. It looks like it has some real promise. Of course it doesn't hurt that it's going to be in HD.

I agree completey I'd like to see it but I workPosted Image oh well hopefuly they'll re-run it.
For those of you who know your job is to teach.
For those of you who dont know your job is to learn.

#5 of 310 Vlad D

Vlad D

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted September 13 2003 - 05:57 AM

Quote:
I agree completey I'd like to see it but I work oh well hopefuly they'll re-run it.

Rebroadcast schedule:

HBO High Definition - EAST
Tue 9/16 11:35 PM
Wed 9/17 09:05 PM
Fri 9/19 09:30 PM
Sun 9/21 12:35 AM

#6 of 310 Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted September 13 2003 - 07:53 AM

I'll be checking it out too. Looks like a really good cast.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#7 of 310 JeremyFr

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts

Posted September 13 2003 - 10:54 AM

Quote:
Wed 9/17 09:05 PM

yeah one of my days off woohoo!!! hehe
For those of you who know your job is to teach.
For those of you who dont know your job is to learn.

#8 of 310 Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 01:32 AM

I read it's 12 episodes. Does anyone know if it's 12 episodes Season 1, and there may be more. Or is it a one time deal like Band Of Brothers.

#9 of 310 David Susilo

David Susilo

Screenwriter

• 1,199 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 12:46 PM

I hope it'll be on DVD soon. No HBO in Canada and this show looks creepy!

#10 of 310 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,271 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 03:03 PM

Well it was interesting enough to get me to tune in again next week, especially for that Adrienne Barbeau money shot, boy at her age she still looks great. The Hi Def was nice too. We'll see how it all comes together.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#11 of 310 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,617 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 03:08 PM

It got interesting towards the last 15 minutes of the pilot episode. You have to wonder how the balance of life and death is exacted given Ben's powers.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#12 of 310 Peter McM

Peter McM

Supporting Actor

• 914 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 03:12 PM

Creepy, indeed! But only really disturbing part for me was

Ben's Mom drowning that poor kitten!

I am Car Salesman of Borg. You will be assimilated with no money down and easy terms available.

#13 of 310 Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 04:15 PM

It was definitely an intriguing beginning. Any ideas on who "the management" is?
This message ends with Todd.

Hey kid you got no class. Hit the bums, kid. Run like the devil. Get a tin can and take up mooching. Knock on back doors for a nickel.
Tell them your story. Make 'em weep. You could have been a meat-eater, kid. But you didn't listen to me when I laid it down.
Stay off...

#14 of 310 Lowell_B

Lowell_B

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 04:28 PM

Posted Image

All around a very good opening to what looks like a real good series. The ending to the episode was just great.

Most new shows seem to pull out all the stops and use up most of their great ideas in their pilots, but as this is a mini-series (correct me if I'm wrong, I still am not 100% if it's a 12-ep mini, or just the first season), it seemed like the setup for bigger and better things to come.

I loved the opening credits too, they (along with the rest of the show) looked just plain fantastic in HD.

I'll definately be tuning in for episode 2 next week.

Lowell

#15 of 310 Vlad D

Vlad D

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 12:58 AM

Excellent 1st episode. I'm interested in seeing where they are going with this. I'll definitely stick around for the rest of the season.

Quote:
correct me if I'm wrong, I still am not 100% if it's a 12-ep mini, or just the first season

There is an interview on the Official web site with creator Daniel Knauf where he states that the show will has a finite ending but that he doesn't know how many episodes it will take for him to tell the story. Here is an excerpt from that interview.

Quote:
HBO: Are you concerned about extending the story arc beyond this first season?

DANIEL KNAUF: No, I have no problems with it whatsoever, I know where the characters are going.

HBO: So we can count on a battle between good and evil for years to come?

DANIEL KNAUF: Somebody recently asked me how long I saw this story as going on, and I said well, you know, when you sit down to start a novel, you don't say this thing is probably going to come in at 371 pages.

I don't know exactly how many episodes it's going to take to tell my story, because again, it's not completely my story. But I can chart the itinerary, you know what I mean? This might be a really interesting road. Let's slow down and, maybe we'll take a few pictures here.

I really don't know how long it'll take, but it's definitely a finite story. It's not serial like "Days of our Lives." There's definitely an end to the series. And there are definitely going to be signposts that take them to that endpoint.

Quote:
You have to wonder how the balance of life and death is exacted given Ben's powers.

I think they hinted about this at the end of the episode
when Ben healed the girl and all the crops around them turn black. Maybe in order for him to give life he has to take it from somewhere else?

I'm still trying to figure out how Brother Crowe (Clancy Brown) fits in. Really nice to see Clancy Brown in this show. He is one of my favorite actors; ever since I saw him in the Highlander.

#16 of 310 Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 01:00 AM

Nice start. I'm very intrigued by this show and I always like the whole "final battle between Good and Evil" theme. It kind of reminds me of "The Stand" with a 1930s slant. Excellent cast and great HD picture quality and 5.1 sound.

Kind of wild that Ben's Mom chose to die rather than have her son save her.

After 6+ hrs of football, I'm ready for a switch. Carnivale will be a nice way to finish off a Sunday.

Ralph

#17 of 310 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,617 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 01:02 AM

Well, yes, obviously Ben's powers aren't truly a gift because something else has to give up their life for Ben to heal someone else. Exactly how much a sacrifice in lifeforce is needed for Ben to heal will be a delicate balance, as will the bigger theme of good vs. evil.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#18 of 310 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 01:03 AM

I thought it was good. Very interesting and looking foward to seeing where it goes Posted Image

#19 of 310 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 02:48 AM

Quote:
Creepy, indeed! But only really disturbing part for me was
This is all a part of the balance of life and death issue:

His mother knew this intuitively, which is why she drowned the kitten. This also allowed us to understand why she would not let her son save her when she was on her deathbed.

¡Time is not my master!

#20 of 310 Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit

• 436 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 03:17 AM

Makes you wonder how the dustbowl REALLY became the dustbowl, huh?
"We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what someone else did." - Thomas Sowell

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow