Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Amazon.com Removed Willy Wonka Reviews

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,695 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted August 18 2001 - 04:33 AM

Amazon.com has removed some of the previously posted reviews stating that the DVD contains ONLY pan and scan! There was somewhere above 133 reviews and now there's only 126! As far as I can tell at least 6 of the NO OAR reviews have been removed since thursday!

#2 of 30 FilipM

FilipM

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted August 18 2001 - 04:54 AM

I saw that too....

#3 of 30 Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted August 18 2001 - 08:26 AM

I see somebody likes Warner Bros a bit, by the looks of this article on the front page of their site a few days ago.
http://www.kiwibonga...misc/amazon.gif

------------------
Posted Image

Support the DVD release of the Disney Afternoon for her.

[Edited last by Kenneth Cummings on August 18, 2001 at 03:30 PM]
I need a new signature.

#4 of 30 CarlS

CarlS

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted August 18 2001 - 08:29 AM

Removing the reviews is pretty bogus, but not surprising considering that AOL/TW recently investing a ton of cash in Amazon.

#5 of 30 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 15,994 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 18 2001 - 09:51 AM

well my reveiew seems to have disappeared here is what i posted.

Quote:
Here is your review the way it will appear: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------= full frame only!! how could they?????? and why would they???Reviewer: whotony from philly
why would they? because warner apparently thinks that children are buying this movie. yes the children will ask for this dvd but the parents are buying it. and a high percentage of the parents buying it own home theater systems and want their movies available in widescreen versions so they can watch the entire image. not part of the image which is what pan and scan puts on the tv screen. i will not keep my version i bought. but, will return it until the widescreen version is available and urge all other parents to also not buy until the real version is released. by the way this info posted on amazon is wrong no widesrceen anamorphic format is available.........

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (30th Anniversary Edition) (1971) List Price: $24.98 Our Price: $19.99 You Save: $4.99 (20%)

Rated: Starring: Gene Wilder, et al. Director: Mel Stuart

Edition Details: • Region 1 encoding (US and Canada only) • Color, Closed-captioned • Audio Commentary With All The Wonka Kids • Documentary, "Pure Imagination" • Sing-Along Songs • Original Theatrical Featurette • Full-screen and widescreen anamorphic formats • ASIN: B00005LINE

------------------
"who needs padding when you can have quality over quantity? more isn't always better." just my 2 cents on post count padders.-----

facebook.com/whotony

#6 of 30 Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit

• 472 posts

Posted August 18 2001 - 10:04 AM

Posted Image
More censorship. Just what we need.

------------------
Posted Image
Jay and Silent Bob in
CLERKS

"We make it hard...the easy way."

Funniest line I have ever read in DVD a review: "'The Simple Life' stars rich, spoiled friends Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie as two rich, spoiled friends who are taken out of their posh Los Angeles lifestyle and deposited in a small town in Arkansas..."

#7 of 30 JamesCS

JamesCS

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted August 18 2001 - 11:50 AM

Those who had reviews removed from Amazon should try to get Amazon to provide clarification and justification. Perhaps there's a legitimate reason behind the removals. But if Amazon is indeed removing negative user reviews due to some form of financial incentive then this serious and disturbing - making it a huge news story.

#8 of 30 Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter

• 1,529 posts

Posted August 18 2001 - 09:14 PM

Oh please, this is getting ridiculous. Any more conspiracy theorists want to chime in here?

I'm sure they have removed reviews. If I were in their shoes - so would I!

Why? Because they don't have a "technical" review feature, they only have reviews of the movie. They have reviews of the VHS version mixed in right along with reviews of the DVD version. Any 1-star review that clearly states that the review is 1-star because of the technical features of this particular DVD are bound to be removed - as they should be, for they skew the rating of the entire movie.

Any one-star reviews you are giving the movie - please note, the movie, not the DVD - will lower the rating of the movie across the board at Amazon, regardless of if it's on VHS, DVD or any other format.

Essentially, what you are doing with your reviews is driving down the rating of the entire movie, and those ratings will remain low even if Warner then releases an utterly perfect technical version... so don't do that unless you really think the movie itself deserves 1 star.

I think Amazon should have a separate rating for the particular disc that is being reviewed. Unfortunately, they don't.

And for the record - yes, I signed all three petitions against what Warner is doing and I think it is despicable.

------------------
/Kimmo

"If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do?"
"Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in the air and scatter oneself over a wide area." -- "BlackAdder 4"

#9 of 30 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,547 posts

Posted August 18 2001 - 09:39 PM

Mmm, I don't know Kimmo.

It often says: "This review is based on the .....(VHS or DVD) version of this movie." They do allow medium specific reviews, therefore!

Cees

#10 of 30 Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter

• 1,529 posts

Posted August 18 2001 - 09:50 PM

It may at first glance appear so, but if you open any Willy Wonka version, be it VHS or DVD, you will find the exact same figures - 4.5 stars, 126 reviews. Thus, all reviews of the movie across the board affect all versions of the movie. That is with great likelyhood the reason reviews that skew that rating are removed - and, as I said and IMHO, rightly so. The movie does not deserve a 1 star rating. Or at least, this movie doesn't deserve a 1 star rating unless you think the movie deserves a 1 star rating... as opposed to the DVD deserving it.

------------------
/Kimmo

[Edited last by Kimmo Jaskari on August 19, 2001 at 05:06 AM]
"Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in the air and scatter oneself over a wide area." -- "BlackAdder 4"

#11 of 30 Paul W

Paul W

Second Unit

• 468 posts

Posted August 19 2001 - 02:46 AM

Here's yet another company that will not be getting any more of my money.

------------------
Posted Image Paul Warren

Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

"Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight." —Danny, Withnail and I

#12 of 30 Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,316 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted August 19 2001 - 02:56 AM

I noticed yesterday:

They have now added a link by the reviewing link that for:

"To Report errors of listing".

I thought this was a nice addition.

IMHO: While a applaude everybody's enthusiasm, I think Amazon should be removing ALL THE REVIEWS!!. How can you post reviews of a DVD / Movie that has not even been released yet.

On another note: I have always used Amazon for any DVD that is at least 25% off. They offer exceptional service and I have never had any problems.

FWIW,

Gregg

------------------
The Sonodome
The Newest Sonotube
Gregg's DVDs
The Family Units

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#13 of 30 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,456 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted August 19 2001 - 04:19 AM

If I recall correctly, much of those "1-star" reviews stated that their DVD loses picture information on the sides...

I wouldn't be surprised if someone from amazon.com read that thread about reviews and found out that most of those 1-star reviews were by people who hadn't even seen the disc.

amazon.com is a business and the last thing they need is open matte = pan & scan crap on their pages. They probably got a bunch of emails on why the disc is literal pan & scan and they got tired of explaining that the disc is not really pan & scanned (like some specific reviews stated), but rather an open matte transfer.

It's not censorship. It's the same situation if a local newspaper reported that the local grocery store sold tainted meat...and the store really didn't sell tainted meat.

Calling open matte transfers pan & scan is really pointless and it just confuses people. This deletion of those misleading reviews (and badly founded...just how the heck do you review a disc you haven't seen? That's like reviewing a restaurant by just reading the menu!) was a wise choice in my opinion. I'd be pretty angry if I released a book that got trashed by reviews...which were written by people who haven't read the book, but just heard it was bad from other people.

I also think it's good that a lot of DVD reviewing websites aren't reviewing the disc. Lots of reviews saying the DVD is pan & scanned...ick.

amazon.com is my choice for ordering DVD's and they're great! I pre-ordered Superman: The Movie for $18.99 and ordered Pee-Wee's Big Adventure for $16.99. They put that 4-disc Beatles DVD set in with my order for the 3 Beatles Anthology set for free. Service with a digital smile...

[The preceeding was my opinion and my opinion only. I don't expect anyone to agree with this, nor like what I'm saying.]

------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

[Edited last by PatrickMcCart on August 19, 2001 at 11:24 AM]

#14 of 30 Robyn Young

Robyn Young

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted August 19 2001 - 04:39 AM

It appears that all of those reviews have been taken down. Even mine, which is disappointing, because, quite frankly, mine was pretty accurate, and was titled "Widescreen version Omitted; great movie otherwise."

There isn't one 1-star review left, or even a two star review(there were a few) that deals with aspect ratio. I'm at a loss as to why Amazon would do this, But I guess my thought is to re-write the review after the disc is released, and to quote Whatever Ebert has to say in my review.
If you've enjoyed this half as much as we've enjoyed bringing it to you, then we've enjoyed it twice as much as you.

#15 of 30 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,022 posts

Posted August 19 2001 - 04:49 AM

Quote:
just how the heck do you review a disc you haven't seen? That's like reviewing a restaurant by just reading the menu.

If the restaurant served such delicassies as dog poop and pig vomit, then I'd certainly give it a one-star review without trying it. If they served ACTUAL FOOD, It'd be worth the time to see how good the food is.

It's the same with the "Wonka" DVD. We KNOW that the transfer is not widescreen. This is not a matter of opinion, it's a fact. We DON'T have to see the DVD to know it. If Waner isn't even going to TRY to offer a proper version of their prodect, they ABSOLUTELY deserve a one-star review.

#16 of 30 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,456 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted August 19 2001 - 06:25 AM

You're missing the point.

What if "DOG POOP" was really a chocolate pudding desert?
It is called dog poop, but if you say it's bad from just the name, is it really bad?

If anyone wants their review to stay, I reccomend giving it a more true rating and stop calling it pan & scan. I think the open matte version of Wonka should be more of a 2.5 or 3 because the absence of matting is the only thing wrong with the disc. Still, I would not give a review until I watched the disc myself. Even if the disc was matted, I would still not give ANY review until I saw the DVD with my own two eyes.

1 star would be more suitible if the DVD was just an open matte transfer from the old disc with just the trailer.

------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

#17 of 30 JamesCS

JamesCS

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted August 19 2001 - 06:41 AM

So let me get this straight - Amazon is removing the one-star DVD reviews because, to paraphrase another poster, those reviewers have not yet seen the DVD. But at the same time Amazon is leaving the four and five star reviews of the DVD? Posted Image

#18 of 30 Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter

• 1,529 posts

Posted August 19 2001 - 08:14 AM

No, you didn't get it straight, you got it wrong.

The straight version is (I would guess... since I have nothing to do with Amazon) that they are removing reviews that bash this movie based on the fact that one format it is available on, DVD, is not done right technically, because they feel it unfair that those reviews lower the rating of the movie. They have no feature on their web pages to review a discs technical quality.

There are two things that people need to keep separate. The movie, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and the fouled-up 30th anniversary DVD of said movie. A review on Amazon is a review of the movie.

Since you're upset about this release, I would imagine you believe the movie itself deserves 4 or 5 stars. Giving it 1 star because Warner made an asinine choice and released it unmatted isn't fair to the movie.

------------------
/Kimmo

#19 of 30 GaryEA

GaryEA

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted August 19 2001 - 10:34 AM

quote:
A review on Amazon is a review of the movie.[/quote]

As a long-time customer of Amazon, I can say that I have seen plenty of DVD reviews that talk about the quality of the disc, supplements and technical issues, as well as the quality of the film itself. Others reflect opinions about the presentation only, positive or negative. For a good example, read through the reviews of "Star Trek II". In my opinion, reviews at Amazon is not meant to always be about the film's attributes.

I have seen this as well in the music area, where people have left low ratings because a certain album did not include a song they thought would be there. Not quite the same as with DVD, but it still brings a particular album's rating lower and does may not sell help the album's sales.

I will also say this - the reviews that mention the presentation, on whatever format, are outnumbered by reviews of the content.

quote:
I think Amazon should have a separate rating for the particular disc that is being reviewed.[/quote]

I agree. I would also like for Amazon to clarify the parameters of a review for anyone who is going to write them so that the ratings will not be skewed. In their toy section, any product is given star three ratings; one for fun, one educational value, and one for durability. A similar system could be used with DVD - one for the film, one for the disc (much like the Widescreen Review's ratings).

Regardless, I am surprised at the decision by Amazon to remove some of the reviews, but not fuming at it. More than anything, it could be damage control. If it isn't, it doesn't matter; your review is their's to do with as they wish once you send it.

-g

[Edited last by GaryEA on August 19, 2001 at 05:34 PM]

#20 of 30 Paul W

Paul W

Second Unit

• 468 posts

Posted August 19 2001 - 11:20 AM

But Patrick, there is no such thing as a truly open-matte transfer. As soon as they zoom in to remove boom mikes or crop for effects shots, then it is P&S (unless some WB telecine operator will put his word to it that no zooming was done).

Trying to make open matte sound more socially acceptable than P&S is like trying to make a distinctions between scabies and rabies (I would prefer to have neither, thank you very much).

------------------
Posted Image Paul Warren

Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

"Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight." —Danny, Withnail and I

Forum Nav Content I Follow