Photo
- - - - -

Anyone looking forward to The Simpsons: Hit & Run?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 of 46 David Ely

David Ely

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 01:59 PM

I'm shocked to find no current thread about The Simpsons: Hit & Run. I know I'll be picking this one up. Anyone else looking forward to it?
Visit my website
Golden's Domain

#2 of 46 Dave F

Dave F

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 02:45 PM

It was on my "to avoid" list until this month's XBN review. They are usually very critical of games, and they loved it (8 out of 10). Now I'm looking forward to checking it out.

-Dave
DVD List

#3 of 46 JamesHl

JamesHl

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 03:04 PM

I'm a foolish fool who plays all the simpson's console games, even road rage. Since this one actually sounds like it has some entertainment value beyond simply the voice acting, I hope I will enjoy it even more.

#4 of 46 Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 03:45 PM

I've read numerous reviews, and all have been quite positive. I'll certainly give it a try, but I don't think I'll pick it up, at least not right away.

#5 of 46 Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 06:44 PM

I'll rent it for sure, and purchase based on that. There aren't many reviews out yet, but those I've seen say it is the first game to combine a decent portrayal of The Simpsons universe with good gameplay. As OXM said, it's The Simpsons meets Grand Theft Auto. Playing as Apu and running down pedestrians? I'll be there.

#6 of 46 dave_brogli

dave_brogli

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted September 10 2003 - 01:35 AM

Ill check it out Posted Image

#7 of 46 Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted September 10 2003 - 02:42 AM

After reading the surprisingly rave reviews in EGM, XBN etc, I'll definitely be checking it out. I actually enjoyed Road Rage a lot, namely due to all the voice acting.

#8 of 46 JamesH

JamesH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted September 10 2003 - 03:00 AM

On paper, this is game is a recipe for disaster, but it seems like they pulled it off somehow. I'm still having a tough time getting over how it looks. We have cel-shaded Zelda, cel-shaded racing games, cel-shaded first person shooters......and yet the one game that actually SHOULD be cel-shaded isn't. It looks really wierd, but I suppose if it's fun, it's fun.

Probably third on my list this holiday. True Crime is on top but I've heard that the demo is horrible, GTA Xbox will be my choice if True Crime sucks, and if GTA Xbox isn't much improved over the PS2 versions, I'll probably get me some Simpsons.

#9 of 46 Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted September 10 2003 - 05:07 AM

So how many GTA-influenced games are coming out this holiday season? Simpsons Hit and Run, Roadkill, THUG, True Crime...isn't the console version of Mafia also coming?

#10 of 46 Tony-B

Tony-B

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,768 posts

Posted September 10 2003 - 10:11 AM

Well, I definitely thought that this game was gonna be a stinker, but now that I have looked at some of the reviews, I'll have to at least rent it sometime.
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#11 of 46 MikeFR

MikeFR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted September 11 2003 - 07:41 AM

I will definately give this game a rent and then maybe pick it up when it gets cheaper. Quite surprised about all the positive reviews.

Who would have thought that there would ever be a good Simpsons video game?

#12 of 46 Dave F

Dave F

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted September 11 2003 - 10:52 AM

Given enough releases, I guess it had to happen sooner or later. Posted Image Maybe Batman will even get a good game someday.

-Dave
DVD List

#13 of 46 JamesH

JamesH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted September 11 2003 - 01:43 PM

There was a good Final Fight style Batman game on the SNES.

#14 of 46 Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted September 11 2003 - 05:49 PM

Well, I haven't tried it, and I know it didn't get glowing reviews, but a lot of people liked Road Rage.

#15 of 46 DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 01:52 AM

Who would have thought that there would ever be a good Simpsons video game? >>

I reallly wish that some company would include the original Simpsons Arcade game, that I consider the only GOOD Simpsons game, included as an extra unlockable... Too bad it can't be done on this one...

#16 of 46 Neil M

Neil M

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 03:50 AM

I enjoyed Road Rage as a multiplayer experience. It wasn't by any means a great game overall, but I felt it was worth a purchase. I'm glad to see some good reviews for this one. I will definitely be picking this up.

#17 of 46 Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 06:38 AM

"There was a good Final Fight style Batman game on the SNES."

There sure was, James. It's called Batman Returns and it did a good job of capturing the dark, gothic look of Burton's film (by far the best of the Batman movies.) The only problem the game had was no save feature. I played it again not too long ago and I still found it enjoyable.

#18 of 46 Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 12:16 PM

Quote:
I reallly wish that some company would include the original Simpsons Arcade game, that I consider the only GOOD Simpsons game, included as an extra unlockable... Too bad it can't be done on this one...

I actually own the Simpsons Arcade game... I used to play it at the arcades back when I was like 11... Yes, it is the only actually good Simpsons game to date...

Better yet, update the whole game maybe adding characters, new levels, updated graphics, etc. and sell it... People would buy it... Or make a Part 2...

They should definately sell it either as a stand alone or include it on another game... It would be so simple to do... The game still plays well... I am surprised they never brought it to consoles years ago... Both Ninja Turtle games (which are basically the same exact mechanics and game with a different coat of paint) were brought to consoles... Both of those were very good as well...

I played the Simpsons games on the NES and SNES through the Gamecube, XBox etc... Bart vs. The Aliens, Bart's Nightmare, etc... They all sucked... Bart's Nightmare looked really good at the time as a SNES game, but it still sucked... Some were so bad that I didnt make it past 20 minutes...

I am looking forward to playing Hit and Run though... I will rent it first...

#19 of 46 JamesHl

JamesHl

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted September 16 2003 - 07:44 PM

So, anyone get it yet? Or does anyone have access to a head to head type review that could tell me which one to buy, hm?

#20 of 46 GlenHaag

GlenHaag

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 02:01 AM

Well, IGN's head to head recommends the Xbox version first and the Gamecube version second.

Here's something that killed me from their "review". The Xbox version could not output audio if you had it hooked up to your reciever via the digital audio cable. Right there, that's enough for me not to want to pick up that version. They pretty much just dismissed it though. As a side note, they did say that happened in their "reviewable" copy. They did not know if this problem still occurs in the final retail build.

Glen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users