-

Photo

Do you re-arrange Widescreen/Fullscreen DVD's on the shelf?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#1 of 49 Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,697 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted September 09 2003 - 10:53 AM

My family is always telling me that I'm doing something wrong when I place the Widescreen DVD's in front of the Fullscreen DVD's when I go to Wal-Mart & other DVD retailers. I don't think it's wrong, and I never make it so that only Widescreen DVD's can be found. I always leave at least one row of Fullscreen copies in plain sight, but I move them to the bottom of the display, or to the right side, so the first copies that people see are widescreen. I know I'm not the only one who does it. I have seen other's posting that they do this too. Posted Image But my mother thinks it is probably limited to a very small number of people who do, and I want to prove her wrong, so I would like to see a show of hands of people that re-arrange DVD's so that widescreen copies are more accessible, or equal to the fullscreen counterparts.

#2 of 49 DeeAnn

DeeAnn

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 11:04 AM

Nope, I don't. I just want to get in the store, make my purchase, leave the store and watch my new DVD's Posted Image. Don't have the time (or inclination) for rearranging their displays.

#3 of 49 Ken CG

Ken CG

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 11:10 AM

Yup. I'm one of those people. Was at Fred Myers and the price tags on the Kangaroo Jack DVDs were covering the "Wide..." and the "Full..." part of the words so all you can see is "Screen". So, I looked on the back of the DVDs to determine which is Widescreen and which are Full and I put all the Fulls behind the Wides. What we're doing is right. Fullscreen is wrong. I don't do it to all the DVDs. But when I get a chance and have nothing better to do, I go ahead and do it. Another method would be to take all the fullscreen discs and hide them 1 by 1 behind various movies. I haven't done this yet. But it's an idea.

#4 of 49 Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 11:20 AM

*Raises hand*

I do this on occasion. I just put all of the FS titles behind the WS ones. I have never gotten weird looks for doing this, either.
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#5 of 49 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,599 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 11:23 AM

Not as a rule...however...

I was at BB a few weeks ago and was looking for a WS version of some movie (can't remember what it was). All they had were FS versions, and I was shocked that all they had was FS versions, like 20 of them. then I saw the WS ones in the back, just two of them, so I pulled those out of the back of the row and stuck em in the front, hoping people would not think there were no WS versions.

It was a major release from about a month ago, so it was heartening to see that the WS copies were all but gone, and the FS ones were still there (and my local BB gets about 50/50 WS and FS on big releases that offer both).

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#6 of 49 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 11:33 AM

whenever possible I buy the WS version

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#7 of 49 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,002 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 11:45 AM

Can we please stop the dual-releases?? Either put both on the same disc, or don't do pan and scan at all!
(Don't mind me, I'm just bitching to nobody in particular.)
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#8 of 49 Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 11:46 AM

I don't spend much time doing it. But if I'm casually browsing the shelves and not in any hurry, I'll occassionally put the full screen versions behind the widescreen ones.

#9 of 49 Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 11:58 AM

I just buy the WS. Is this a poll?
Kyle McKnight

#10 of 49 Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 12:03 PM

As I said in the Joe Six Pack thread I do this. Pretty much only at Walmart just because of how they display movies makes it easy. They usually have one stack of WS one stack of FS. I simple move half of the WS infront of the FS.

#11 of 49 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,467 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted September 09 2003 - 12:03 PM

Yeah... :b

#12 of 49 Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 12:17 PM

I did this once and was yelled at. (I was only 16)

The guy was like "Hey, leave it alone or get out."

I was like "Alright, I'd rather leave."

#13 of 49 Estevan Lapena

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 12:19 PM

I hide the widescreen DVD's behind the FULLSCREENS!
Widescreen, Posted Image I'd rather have the FULL picture!

My reasoning.

Actually I lie. No one is that evil, I do occasionally hide full screens behind their superior widescreen partners if it's a title I find that should be seen in its full glory. If the movies a piece of crap then I leave it, because chances are, the person getting the DVD doesn't appreciate film as an art form anyways.

#14 of 49 John Nelson

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator

• 144 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 01:32 PM

Gee, I never thought of doing this.
What a terribly wicked thing to do...Posted Image
"The satellite landed in our home. Maybe this means we'll have good luck this year," Huo Jiyu, quoted after a Chinese satellite completely destroyed his apartment in the village of Penlai, Sichuan Province, China.

#15 of 49 Paul.Little

Paul.Little

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 01:41 PM

If I ever caught you doing that in a store I ran, I'd call the cops on you. That's called public mischief. Live your own lives, and stop trying to foist your own holier-than-thou opinions on other people. Of course widescreen is better, but that doesn't make you better. Get over yourselves!
Paul

You're wrong, Mr. Lucas. They're not your movies. They're ours. All of ours. We paid to go see them, and they're just as much a part of our lives as they are of yours

#16 of 49 Lev-S

Lev-S

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 01:53 PM

guilty as sin...

but it's no different than the studios making the cover art for MAR (PS) DVDs aesthetically un-appealing by using out-of-place colors etc.Posted Image

it's ALL subliminal
My DVDs

Homer: So, Mr. Malloy, it seems that the cat has been caught by the very person who was trying to catch him.
Skinner: How ironic.

#17 of 49 BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 01:59 PM

You guys are amatuers. I defecate on all the full screen copies. At that point only the most ardent haters of black bars refuse to see the light and head to the checkout with a mar version.

#18 of 49 Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor

• 628 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 02:11 PM

Yeah, I do that too. But not at the place I usually buy my DVDs because they only carry OAR!

But whenever I'm in another place, I put the wrong versions behind the correct ones.

Quote:
If I ever caught you doing that in a store I ran, I'd call the cops on you. That's called public mischief. Live your own lives, and stop trying to foist your own holier-than-thou opinions on other people. Of course widescreen is better, but that doesn't make you better. Get over yourselves!
Getting arrested for that would be a badge of honor for any Widescreen Advocate! I'm sure just rearranging disks on a shelf can't get you in too much trouble (We're not stealing them). We can't get The Chair or a life sentence in a Pound-Me-In-The-Ass Federal Prison just for that! Kicked out of the store, a small fine, overnight in a jail cell at the local precinct at worst. And a nice "I got arrested for supporting OAR" badge of honor! It's worth it!
My DVDs | My Equipment
No OAR = No Sale!
If you don't want black bars, then you don't want DVD!

#19 of 49 Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 02:23 PM

Quote:
And a nice "I got arrested for supporting OAR" badge of honor!

OK, it's a race to see who can be the first arrested for supporting OAR in a non-defacing manner.
Kyle McKnight

#20 of 49 Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 02:47 PM

Quote:
You guys are amatuers. I defecate on all the full screen copies. At that point only the most ardent haters of black bars refuse to see the light and head to the checkout with a mar version.

ROTFL

Quote:

I hope you are joking. If not, Bret, please find the address of this guy's store. Clean-up on aisle four!

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow