What's new

Do you re-arrange Widescreen/Fullscreen DVD's on the shelf? (1 Viewer)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
My family is always telling me that I'm doing something wrong when I place the Widescreen DVD's in front of the Fullscreen DVD's when I go to Wal-Mart & other DVD retailers. I don't think it's wrong, and I never make it so that only Widescreen DVD's can be found. I always leave at least one row of Fullscreen copies in plain sight, but I move them to the bottom of the display, or to the right side, so the first copies that people see are widescreen. I know I'm not the only one who does it. I have seen other's posting that they do this too. :D But my mother thinks it is probably limited to a very small number of people who do, and I want to prove her wrong, so I would like to see a show of hands of people that re-arrange DVD's so that widescreen copies are more accessible, or equal to the fullscreen counterparts.

DeeAnn

Grip
Nope, I don't. I just want to get in the store, make my purchase, leave the store and watch my new DVD's :). Don't have the time (or inclination) for rearranging their displays.

Ken CG

Agent
Yup. I'm one of those people. Was at Fred Myers and the price tags on the Kangaroo Jack DVDs were covering the "Wide..." and the "Full..." part of the words so all you can see is "Screen". So, I looked on the back of the DVDs to determine which is Widescreen and which are Full and I put all the Fulls behind the Wides. What we're doing is right. Fullscreen is wrong. I don't do it to all the DVDs. But when I get a chance and have nothing better to do, I go ahead and do it. Another method would be to take all the fullscreen discs and hide them 1 by 1 behind various movies. I haven't done this yet. But it's an idea.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
*Raises hand*

I do this on occasion. I just put all of the FS titles behind the WS ones. I have never gotten weird looks for doing this, either.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Not as a rule...however...

I was at BB a few weeks ago and was looking for a WS version of some movie (can't remember what it was). All they had were FS versions, and I was shocked that all they had was FS versions, like 20 of them. then I saw the WS ones in the back, just two of them, so I pulled those out of the back of the row and stuck em in the front, hoping people would not think there were no WS versions.

It was a major release from about a month ago, so it was heartening to see that the WS copies were all but gone, and the FS ones were still there (and my local BB gets about 50/50 WS and FS on big releases that offer both).

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Can we please stop the dual-releases?? Either put both on the same disc, or don't do pan and scan at all!
(Don't mind me, I'm just bitching to nobody in particular.)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I don't spend much time doing it. But if I'm casually browsing the shelves and not in any hurry, I'll occassionally put the full screen versions behind the widescreen ones.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
As I said in the Joe Six Pack thread I do this. Pretty much only at Walmart just because of how they display movies makes it easy. They usually have one stack of WS one stack of FS. I simple move half of the WS infront of the FS.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I did this once and was yelled at. (I was only 16)

The guy was like "Hey, leave it alone or get out."

I was like "Alright, I'd rather leave."

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
I hide the widescreen DVD's behind the FULLSCREENS!
Widescreen, :thumbsdown: I'd rather have the FULL picture!

My reasoning.

Actually I lie. No one is that evil, I do occasionally hide full screens behind their superior widescreen partners if it's a title I find that should be seen in its full glory. If the movies a piece of crap then I leave it, because chances are, the person getting the DVD doesn't appreciate film as an art form anyways.

Paul.Little

Stunt Coordinator
If I ever caught you doing that in a store I ran, I'd call the cops on you. That's called public mischief. Live your own lives, and stop trying to foist your own holier-than-thou opinions on other people. Of course widescreen is better, but that doesn't make you better. Get over yourselves!

Lev-S

Second Unit
guilty as sin...

but it's no different than the studios making the cover art for MAR (PS) DVDs aesthetically un-appealing by using out-of-place colors etc.:)

it's ALL subliminal

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
You guys are amatuers. I defecate on all the full screen copies. At that point only the most ardent haters of black bars refuse to see the light and head to the checkout with a mar version.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I do that too. But not at the place I usually buy my DVDs because they only carry OAR!

But whenever I'm in another place, I put the wrong versions behind the correct ones.

If I ever caught you doing that in a store I ran, I'd call the cops on you. That's called public mischief. Live your own lives, and stop trying to foist your own holier-than-thou opinions on other people. Of course widescreen is better, but that doesn't make you better. Get over yourselves!
Getting arrested for that would be a badge of honor for any Widescreen Advocate! I'm sure just rearranging disks on a shelf can't get you in too much trouble (We're not stealing them). We can't get The Chair or a life sentence in a Pound-Me-In-The-Ass Federal Prison just for that! Kicked out of the store, a small fine, overnight in a jail cell at the local precinct at worst. And a nice "I got arrested for supporting OAR" badge of honor! It's worth it!

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I hope you are joking. If not, Bret, please find the address of this guy's store. Clean-up on aisle four!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks