Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Disney's disposable DVD to hit test markets Sept 8

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 of 72 OFFLINE   Miles

Miles

Second Unit

• 285 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 11:51 AM

John_Berger Why would it be a problem if some shared how to keep your purchases alive? People purchasing the DVDs would have bought them legitamately. Paying $$$ for them. They would not have copied them. It's only Flexplay and Disney that are hoping they disappear. Maybe Disney and Flexplay should have a legal team at every store asking you to sign legal documents promising that you'll throw them in the garbage or be thrown in jail. I'm not going to throw away my Projector bulb away at 1000 hrs just because NEC rated it at 1000 hours. No lawyer from NEC can sue me because I run the bulb longer... or even if I figure out a way to make it last 2000 hours. That's my business... because it's my property... This is all with smileys intended... no ill will...

#62 of 72 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 12:35 PM

[quote] This is all with smileys intended... no ill will... [quote] No problem.

#63 of 72 OFFLINE   John Alderson

John Alderson

Supporting Actor

• 563 posts

Posted September 13 2003 - 09:33 AM

I don't understand the logic of this thing. DVD has proven that given a good product at the right price, people want to OWN it, not rent it. Yes, DVD has finally passed VHS in rentals too, but it's still the sell-through market that has the studios raking in the cash. This is a product without a market (see: DivX). And they can make all the recyclable claims they want, it would be an ecological disaster if this takes off on any level. Thankfully, it won't.

#64 of 72 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 04:35 AM

I saw this article from Videostoremag.com about the launch of EZ-D and thought I would report it to you all. It contains a quote from Ron--referring to him as "moderator" and not owner.

http://www.videostor....rticle_id=5273

#65 of 72 OFFLINE   Robert Floto

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 04:39 AM

There was a story today on Yahoo's online technology news titled, Disposable DVD's Far from Being a Sure Bet.

Here it is:

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&ncid=581&e=3&u=/nm/20030913/tc_nm/bizmedia_dvd_dc
Movies I would purchase instantly if they were available in their correct aspect ratio:
Death Trap, Innocent Blood, The Shadow, and Remo Williams

#66 of 72 OFFLINE   Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 11:23 AM

Did anyone notice this from BVHE's site?

[quote] An EZ-Dâ„¢ disc in its original packaging is guaranteed to be good for one year from manufacture. [quote]Do you think that this will lead to problems with the 48 hour window if the disc has been on shelves for a while?
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#67 of 72 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted September 15 2003 - 12:21 PM

[quote] Do you think that this will lead to problems with the 48 hour window if the disc has been on selves for a while? [quote] I'm waiting for stickers on the front that say, "Best viewed by {date}".

"Well, gee, honey! We'd better get it now! The movie gets worse as the year goes on!" Posted Image

#68 of 72 OFFLINE   Justin_M

Justin_M

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 08:53 AM

OK, now that everyone is done complaining about this new format, has anyone out there actually tried it yet? With so many members on this forum, it's hard to believe that nobody lives in one of the trial locations. oxonce
"It smells like Up-Dog in here."

#69 of 72 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,108 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:49 PM

If they were available in my area I'd buy one for my failed format collection- I'd keep it next to my DIVX discs and Cartrivision rental tapes from 1972, which could not be rewound on a consumer machine so you could only watch them one time per rental.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#70 of 72 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,936 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 07:14 PM

There may still be legal problems. How can Disney, or the retailer who sold it, ever state for sure that the customer has been able to flawlessly view the disc he/she bought? It could have been "too long on the shelves", or a mis-coated one. Or a misprint that would also show glitches had it been a normal DVD. Thus people can claim they weren't able to see the movie (even if the pack is opened) and/or that it was seriously flawed. They (the seller) would need to give them a new one for free, unless they brutally deny the claim. However, by the time parties are in court no-one can read 'exhibit A' anymore... Selling something that self-destructs looks like a strange commercial model to me. Cees

#71 of 72 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,932 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 03:28 AM

[quote] [quote] Anyway, I think that the disposable DVDs are a monumentally bad thing due to the environmental consequences. However, DVDs aren't innocent either: they should have stuck to the CD jewel case instead of the unnecessarily large keep case.

Ted
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#72 of 72 OFFLINE   John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 05:05 AM

Has the test failed yet? I suspect there will be failure and quiet retreat on the part of Disney.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users