Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Disney's disposable DVD to hit test markets Sept 8

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
71 replies to this topic

#41 of 72 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted September 11 2003 - 05:37 AM

Quote:
But if The Lion King ever came out ONLY in this format....

You'll be able to watch it as many times as you like for 48 hours!

Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#42 of 72 OFFLINE   Eric Brunton

Eric Brunton

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted September 11 2003 - 06:40 AM

Has anyone started a campagin against disposable dvds such as creating a website other than this thread? I remember a lot of anti - DIVX websites that came out to inform the public and others why we didn't need DIVX. And yes, disposable DVDs ARE A WASTE OF RESOURCES.

#43 of 72 OFFLINE   Justin_M

Justin_M

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted September 11 2003 - 09:34 AM

Quote:
And yes, disposable DVDs ARE A WASTE OF RESOURCES.

I agree with that, but at least BVHE is giving people the opportunity to do something with the discs besides throwing them in the garbage. How many AOL discs come in the mail every week? I get about 2 or 3. Do they have a recycling center that those discs can be sent to? Even if you write "Return to Sender" on them, where do they go from there?

The only reason BVHE is getting bashed now is because this is a hot topic. How long has AOL been doing this and I didn't see one mention about them? Besides, that is even unwanted mail. There are many things that pollute this Earth. It is just up to the person to make a little effort.

oxonce
"It smells like Up-Dog in here."

#44 of 72 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted September 11 2003 - 09:40 AM

But if The Lion King ever came out ONLY in this format....
I stick with my laser disc. You could never buy it in this 'format', you could only rent it. Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#45 of 72 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted September 11 2003 - 09:55 AM

Quote:
Has anyone started a campagin against disposable dvds such as creating a website other than this thread?
I don't now about campaigns but you can always point people to various articles on the web against it:

http://www.widescree...._06_june.shtml

http://www.wired.com...2,58906,00.html

http://www.eweek.com...,1239878,00.asp

http://www.safealter...org/alerts.html

http://www.practical...ss/b0529003.htm

#46 of 72 OFFLINE   soop.spoon

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted September 11 2003 - 11:16 AM

Quote:
Get over it.

Oh! Now I totally understand. Thanks!

#47 of 72 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,316 posts

Posted September 11 2003 - 12:24 PM

and, like DIVX, I suspect that most (if not all) of the disposable releases will be "fullscreen," as they are appealing to the lowest common denominator. So, no steps forward, two steps back.

#48 of 72 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted September 11 2003 - 02:30 PM

Quote:
I agree with that, but at least BVHE is giving people the opportunity to do something with the discs besides throwing them in the garbage. How many AOL discs come in the mail every week? I get about 2 or 3. Do they have a recycling center that those discs can be sent to? Even if you write "Return to Sender" on them, where do they go from there?

And what happens to the disposable dvds when they are sent back to Disney? Have they said HOW exactly the discs can be reused?

Also (as many people have already said), the only people who would be interested in this product are people who are too lazy to take rented DVDs back to the video store. If these people are that lazy, do you think that they are really going to go to the trouble of mailing the discs back to Disney? Or will they just throw the unplayable discs in the garbage can?

Quote:
The only reason BVHE is getting bashed now is because this is a hot topic. How long has AOL been doing this and I didn't see one mention about them?

People complain about the AOL discs all the time.

It was brought up recently in a thread on this forum about demo discs of the series "24".

There was an episode of Futurama about a 20th century garbage ball that was going to hit the Earth. The Professor said the garbage ball contained a deposit of AOL floppy disks.

These are just two examples of people complaining about AOL discs. I'm sure other people can think of others.

Quote:
Besides, that is even unwanted mail. There are many things that pollute this Earth. It is just up to the person to make a little effort.

Just because AOL CDs contribute to pollution doesn't mean it's okay for Disney to do so.

#49 of 72 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted September 11 2003 - 03:16 PM

Excuse my ignoraance,and I hope this doesn't go against forum rules, but would it be possible to give these disposable discs a clear coat that would prevent the oxidation, thus extending the life of the disc?

D'Oh! I just read Mark's post on the first page. Great minds think alike...

#50 of 72 OFFLINE   Mickey P

Mickey P

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted September 11 2003 - 05:02 PM

Quote:
I'm sure everyone will rush out to buy a disposable version of The Hot Chick or Frida.
Quote:
I wish those titles would have self destructed BEFORE they were foisted on the public.

Sorry but the Hot chick was funny as hell. I liked that movie.
Revenge is a dish best served cold!

#51 of 72 OFFLINE   Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted September 11 2003 - 06:36 PM

First I will agree with everyone here that this format is at best SILLY.

but...

EZ-D is not designed for anyone on this forum. It's public is specific and probably out there waiting. The question is "How big will that public be?".
As long as Disney keeps coming out with quality discs I can purchase (at a decent price) that has a good soundtrack, is anamorphic, and contains interesting extras - I could care less what they do on the side! Pan&Scan - Black and White - Colorized - full of advertising, who cares???

Who might be affected by this format?
Sorry to say our wonderful REVIEWERS may be unhappy to be getting these in the mail one day as short term review discs. Also it is possible that academy screeners may find a home in this format.
But for the rest of us, I do not see a problem in the near future (or even far future). It is just another option.

Another drawback to EZ-D is that they are all DVD5. The studios may be surprised to learn that these are much easier to rip that DVD9. Ooops! Posted Image

Last I will just comment that Disney bashing, which just 2 years ago was almost a contact sport in this forum, has now just become a amateur past-time. Yes, I believe there is a small element of Disney bashing in this thread.

I will conclude by commenting that an article is the LA times several months ago quoted Michael Eisner as being somewhat skeptical of the EZ-D format. As I stated in an earlier thread on this topic, I believe Disney is just doing a favor in providing product for an experimental format.

Thanks for reading.
Rick

#52 of 72 OFFLINE   Ron Pinsonneault

Ron Pinsonneault

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted September 11 2003 - 10:37 PM

Everybody,
This sounds like cackling in a henhouse. This format is a moot point.(PERIOD). Let's move on.Posted Image

#53 of 72 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 01:26 AM

It's a pirate's dream come true. Don't have a CC for Netflix or other services? Want cheap movies for a short period of time so you can rip them and copy them with your DVD-Burner? BAM! Disney hits you with the solution.

Realistically, that's the only market segment I think there is that looks at this with any eagerness.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#54 of 72 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 03:44 AM

Chris, I just read your message and the Disney TV logo popped up in the corner of my mind. Wouldn't it be a riot if they were all embedded?

Glenn

#55 of 72 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 03:57 AM

Quote:
would it be possible to give these disposable discs a clear coat that would prevent the oxidation, thus extending the life of the disc?
One of the articles quoted above even said that refrigeration slows the process down. This certainly does not bypass the concept, but again it shows that it usually only takes a simple idea to foil (or disrupt) any of these ridiculous, restrictive ideas. Yet, the companies continue to try to pull stunts like this that do nothing but hurt and take advantage of the consumer.

And since the presence of oxygen is the catalyst, does that mean that people in Denver get extended video times over the people of New York? (I'm obviously saying that in jest, but it still is a potenial hit against the process.)

Black permanent marker, anybody? Posted Image

#56 of 72 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 04:04 AM

Quote:
This sounds like cackling in a henhouse. This format is a moot point.(PERIOD). Let's move on.
Feel free to not voluntarily enter the thread anymore. :P)

Quote:
It's a pirate's dream come true.
Possibly, but why would any pirate, particularly one who is going to use DVD-R to duplicate the movie, possibly want to spend ($7 + DVD-R cost) to duplicate an EZ-D when they could get the real thing for rental at Blockbuster for $2.99 and use the free tools to drop EVERYTHING on the disc to a single $1.50 DVD-R? (As was suggested above, it's possible that EZ-Ds are not going to be real DVD + coating.) The whole idea of pirating is (generally) that the pirate is a cheap bastard, so using EZ-D to facilitate this still would not be the most cost-effective solution.

#57 of 72 OFFLINE   mark alan

mark alan

Supporting Actor

• 620 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 04:18 AM

Since it is a chemical reaction, I expect that storing it in the freezer would significantly slow or stop the reaction.

I am also sure that you need a continuing supply of oxygen for the reaction to proceed, therefore, coating the disc should stop the reaction.

Since these actions are not intended to circumvent copy protection, I don't see that it is a violation of the DMCA, and I don't see any reason that it can't be discussed.

I would love to get one of these discs to play with just as an intellectual excercise. I expect that it wouldn't be that difficult to prevent the oxidation.

Lets get one of members to take a crack at it. It would be great entertainment for those of us outside the market areas.

#58 of 72 OFFLINE   Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit

• 376 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 04:47 AM

Quote:
he only way that this could really be recyclable for most consumers to want to utilize it is if they're type 1 or type 2 plastic
Some company appears to have developed a process that will transform anything carbon-based into crude oil and byproducts (it was featured in Discovery magazine a few months back).

This format will not succeed (too expensive), and I predict that it will fizzle shortly after its introduction.

RD
Ask Warner for a DVD SE of Here Comes The Navy (1934)!

#59 of 72 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 06:59 AM

Quote:
Since these actions are not intended to circumvent copy protection, I don't see that it is a violation of the DMCA, and I don't see any reason that it can't be discussed.
That and the fact that it's ALL theoretical at this point until someone definitively proves otherwise.

Quote:
Lets get one of members to take a crack at it. It would be great entertainment for those of us outside the market areas.
If anyone does succeed at cracking this chemical puzzle, I'd like to know about it from a scientific standpoint, since I'll never support this abomination; however, whoever does crack it won't be able to tell us details about how with raising the ire of the HTF admins as well as getting the Disney and Flexplay folks on his ass in a New York minute.

It's just a matter of time. Someone will figure it out if just to find out if it can be done.

#60 of 72 OFFLINE   Justin_M

Justin_M

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 07:18 AM

Quote:
And what happens to the disposable dvds when they are sent back to Disney? Have they said HOW exactly the discs can be reused?

Go to the website www.ez-d.com, and they state that the discs are not being sent back to Disney, they are being sent to GreenDisk Services, a company that recycles forms of used media. You would have to inquire with GreenDisk as to HOW exactly the discs are being reused.

Quote:
It was brought up recently in a thread on this forum about demo discs of the series "24".

I did not read the thread about the series "24". The statement I made was referring to this thread. What I meant to say was that I didn't see one mention about AOL discs in this thread.

Quote:
Just because AOL CDs contribute to pollution doesn't mean it's okay for Disney to do so.

Correct, but like I said before, at least BVHE has a program set up that will recycle the used product. I have yet to see AOL providing free postage so you can mail those junk discs to a recycling center.

oxonce
"It smells like Up-Dog in here."

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow