What's new

Disney's disposable DVD to hit test markets Sept 8 (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
As if Walmart and Zellers haven't dumbed down DVD to the 'great unwashed' enough, in a move reminiscent of Circuit City's DIVX debacle, Disney is carrying out their plan to issue self-destructing DVD.

Once the discs are exposed to oxygen, the discs turn black after 48 hours, making them unusable.

Yahoo! News

This is an environmental travesty.

Disney's EZ-D site.

I'm sure everyone will rush out to buy a disposable version of The Hot Chick or Frida.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
"Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it".

DIVX II

Mike

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I think that's "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it". And entirely appropriate in this case.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
We need somebody in one of the four test markets to buy a disc and test a method to coat the disc and stop the decay. I don't see why the protective coating you spray on color printer photos wouldn't work since it is completely clear and prevents oxygen from reaching the surface.

I figure if people easily defeat the self destruct feature, they will drop this whole idea.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mark,

(In the words of Arte Johnson)

"Veeeeeellly interesting"

Wonder if that would work.

Interesting to see if this backfires in
Disney's face. I can see people finding
ways to defeat the oxidation process.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Just don't buy the discs. If the sales totals are bad enough, that should get rid of them.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I don't advocate piracy, but these discs are a lower-cost base for people to work from. I read in one article that they hope the lower price keeps piracy down. What a stupid statement - the lower price is a moot point since the disc only lasts for 48 hours!

Also, can you see nasty little children (or adults) poking holes in the packaging?

Rental stores give you movies for a week - these don't even last THAT long, and cost 2x as much.

This is going to be a nightmare.

Mike

TomK

Stunt Coordinator
Absolutely unbelieveable. I sent the EPA an email telling them of this (which I'm sure they already know about) and voicing my concerns.

Tom

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Interesting to see if this backfires in
Disney's face. I can see people finding
ways to defeat the oxidation process.
Add to that that folk who are into "burning" illegal copies of DVDs will LOVE this. They'll buy the discs for cheap and copy them to their computer CPU and burn them to recordable DVD for practically nothing.

The whole thing is just sickening. a spokesperson for the product was quoted on NPR this morning as stating that people could "recyle" the discs through the mail.

yeah right! Like the consumers who *might* be interested in such a disposable disc to begin with would fool with the hassle of buying a special mailer and paying the postage!

Net Flix has never looked so good. If Disney was smart they'd invest in "rental" DVDs or stripped-down DVDs that they sell at a lower cost...with no silk-screening and in a simple jewel-case for budget consumers. Folks could buy the discs for $5 and then turn them in for a $2 credit at a "rental" house towards other titles.

Basically a DVD custom-made for the rental market where packaging and extras are not necessary--to keep costs down to a minumum. Like with Netflix or Blockbuster's new program, folks could just "keep" the discs as long as they want and then when they finally do trade them in they get more.

-dave

mark alan

Supporting Actor
In case anyone wants to test out the self-destruct (and possibly ways to stop the oxidation) the cities are

Austin, Texas; Peoria/Bloomington, Illinois; Charleston, South Carolina; and Kansas City, Missouri

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
What concerns me is that if these disposable DVDs take off, and Blockbuster and Rogers decide to go with them 100% - then that'll mean the end to purchasing Previously Viewed DVDs from these stores.

They have some really good prices on their previously viewed DVDs, and most of the stuff I purchase are foreign and independant films that barely get rented (no explosions I guess) - so they're usually in incredible condition.

I'll have no choice but to purchase a brand spanking new DVD for a much higher price every single time. Used CD/DVD shops are an alternative, but they usually price their DVDs not much cheaper than new.

I only purchase Previsouly Viewed DVDs from time to time, but I know a few people who's collection basically consist of Previously Viewed DVDs.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Block buster won't use disposable discs.

This is Disney's way of trying to compete with them for a share of the rental market. Most disposable discs will probably be sold next the candy-racks in the supermarket lines.

-dave

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
What causes the discs to corrode? Air?

If so... what stops me from putting it into a Super Saver bag and getting ~12 uses out of it? ;)

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
I live in one of the test markets (Peoria), so if I happen upon one of the discs I might buy it to do a little "testing." ;)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Folks, just occured to me:

Buy the discs. Watch the movies. then return them becuase they are "defective" and can't play the next day and tell the store that you want a refund.

After all, we don't want to contribute to the sales-count figures!

:D

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Add to that that folk who are into "burning" illegal copies of DVDs will LOVE this. They'll buy the discs for cheap and copy them to their computer CPU and burn them to recordable DVD for practically nothing.
If you are too cheap to buy the movie, wouldn't you be more likely to use a $4 rental instead of a $7 'disposable' as the source for your copying?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
so if I happen upon one of the discs I might buy it to do a little "testing."
Tape a needle to your thumb and poke lots of air holes. ;)

I honestly feel this has little chance of taking off and am not too threatened by it. That's how I felt about DivX; it was brain-dead from day 1. It never stood a chance, and would have died regardless of internet campaigns.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, the coating won't work because even 1 second of oxygen exposure starts the process. But WHY would anyone pay $7 for a 2 day rental?:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks