What's new

Monday Night Football in HD (1 Viewer)

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Well I have the unfortunaty of having to work Monday nights :frowning: At anyrate I went home on my lunch break (its great working a block from your house) and turned on the game in HD.....all I have to say is WOW! I cant even imagine going back to watching sports on a 4:3 aspect. I have of course already watched other sports in HD and they looked great to but no football yet. Now I wish I had a workshift that gave me Monday nights off. Oh well

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I too was totally impressed the the picture quality. And get this, it wasn't even on my HD set. My local cable provider is not carrying ABC HD yet, so I had to watch the standard SD broadcast. I don't know if it's the better quality signal and better cameras, but I was amazed at the picture on my non HD set.

This weekend I watched the US Open on my HDTV and the picture looked amazing. For $hits and giggles I put the cable box converter to 480P, and while not as good as 1080i, it was still amazingly clear and crisp. Not sure if my cable box is doing something different, but my 47" set is ISF calibrated, so nothing going on there.

All said, while the SD picture was amazing, I am very much looking forward to seeing MNF in HD.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Well watching the HD feed its apparent they use the same exact for the SD as well as all the Graphics were in the portion picture that would be seen in a 4:3 picture. So I can imagine it probably did look pretty good on the regular feed as well.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought the HD broadcast looked very nice, except the referee looked sick (skin tone-wise).

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Watching it on my X1 I have to say this has got me hooked on Monday Night Football again, EXCEPT the invasion of Brittney!:thumbsdown:

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the Eagles vs. Bucs game looked great last night. It was my Eagle's performance on the field that made me sick! :angry:

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I noticed the off color skin as well. Glad it isn't just my set or Time Warner in Torrance. Hopefully that will get some adjustment.

-Keith

Steve Kramzer

Stunt Coordinator
Game looked great, too bad they use the same cam for sd and hdtv (this is true of all networks though atm) as there is so much wasted space...I want to the the defensive backs, not 20 yards of empty space behind the qb.

TimDav

Auditioning
The thing that annoys me is the score box that they impose on the screen. In 16:9 format the score box is near the middle of the screen instead of on the side. Does anyone know if they are going to change this anytime soon?

TD

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The reason for that is that the SD telecast uses the same feed, so important information is put inside the 4:3 frame.

If you look at the 16:9 frame before the ball is snapped, you will notice that it is set so that a 4:3 picture gets the quarterback and running back—there is space behind the backfield (on the offensive side of the ball) except when the backs are set very deeply.

Of course one does get the added picture on the defensive side.

I don’t think that this will change until 16:9 becomes widespread or the networks carry both a SD and HD feed for the same game (which would be way too costly).

Jason_H

Second Unit
I don’t think that this will change until 16:9 becomes widespread or the networks carry both a SD and HD feed for the same game (which would be way too costly).
Well, if I'm not mistaken, this is USUALLY the way they do it! I think Monday Night Football is the exception, not the rule...

Sean Romo

Agent
The thing that annoys me is the score box that they impose on the screen. In 16:9 format the score box is near the middle of the screen instead of on the side. Does anyone know if they are going to change this anytime soon?
yeah it is annoying, however, when you are demonstrating your HD set, it is a great way to show people how much difference there is between a WS broadcast and the 4:3 broadcast.

and, no that wont change for years (when HD is standard)

HD football is so amazing...me and my buddy were held breathless the first time we saw it on that Thursday game. (and I have to add Britney looked very talented in those shorts;) )

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Well, if I'm not mistaken, this is USUALLY the way they do it! I think Monday Night Football is the exception, not the rule
I have not watched every sporting event in HD and made a comparison to SD. Also I don’t have (yet :D) the ESPN HD package, so I have no idea what they have done.

The sports HD telecasts that I’ve watched seem to have SD come from the same source. The last I can think of was the U.S. Open, which (to me) looked as though the SD feed was from the same source—but then I did not consciously make a comparison.

I think that the NBA playoffs and the Stanley Cup playoffs were the same.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
espnhd and mnf hd have the logo set for sd braodcast.
but cbs hd football games have the scorebaord set over to the far side of the screen left or right.
i wonder how they do it and abc can't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks