Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Let BLOCKBUSTER know how we feel re: widescreen

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,994 posts

Posted September 08 2003 - 03:06 PM

So I rent a BB flick this weekend: Daredevil. It is a two disck set. There are about 20 pan n scan and only 3 THREE! widescreen of which two were out (ALL of the P+S were on the shelf) Other movies widescreen editions were completely out.

When I complained to the sales clerk he told me that pan/scan rent better. (remember, the ones that were all on the shelf!)

I get home, and my two disk sets includes the extra features disk in widescreen and the feature disk in FULLSCREEN! AAAARGH!

When I returned with them the district manager was there. My first reflex was to ram it up his.. ankle. Instead I politely complained not only about the disk but also the limited widescreen selection.

He told me that the mindless masses (my word, not his) complain so loudly about the dreaded 'black bars' that BB is considering not carrying ANY widescreen.

I asked him to whom I could loudly complain to in favor of widescreen and he suggested the webiste might be most productive; so here it is:

Blockbuster

He says the more messages the better.

It would seem to me that the solution is simple: Just put the widescreens in different colored cases or big colored lables. Maybe GREEN or RED or something. Write WIDESCREEN really really big on it for gawdsakes!

Maybe if we all band together we can save Blockbuster from the mindless masses!

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,992 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 08 2003 - 03:12 PM

Supposedly Blockbuster just changed their policy to only stock widescreen. Either you have a rogue store, or Blockbuster is changing their policy every other day.

I do agree that those who rent widescreen titles need to compliment their stores with every rental that you appreciate them having widescreen available. Don't just complain when you're unhappy; compliment when you're pleased as well. Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#3 of 14 Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Posted September 08 2003 - 04:45 PM

I have several movies that are both versions, just flip the disk over It may be sacrilege to say so, but they should make all movies that way, then there would be no problem

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

• 1,711 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 03:36 AM

Blockbuster has recently changed it's policy and now only stocks Widescreen rentals. Your store is either a franchise or a weirdo.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 04:37 AM

Yes, either way, they are not doing the name any good. You should report them to the main office. Glenn

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   David Susilo

David Susilo

Screenwriter

• 1,199 posts

Posted September 10 2003 - 12:58 PM

certain movies are being rented in PS only. For example, What a Girl Wants, Kangaroo Jack.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   SteveCop

SteveCop

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted September 20 2003 - 02:22 AM

Off topic....but rumor is that Blockbuster is going to merge with Columbia House, as reported in the Friday edition of the WSJ.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   David Susilo

David Susilo

Screenwriter

• 1,199 posts

Posted September 20 2003 - 05:52 AM

I thought BB is owned by Universal. So Universal is merging with Columbia? In the end, there will only be monopoly.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted September 20 2003 - 10:07 AM

[quote] I thought BB is owned by Universal. [quote]
No, Blockbuster is owned by Viacom, the parent company of Paramount and CBS.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   David Susilo

David Susilo

Screenwriter

• 1,199 posts

Posted September 20 2003 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for the clarification. This, however, still be another step forward towards global monopoly. Paramount and Columbia together?.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted September 20 2003 - 04:10 PM

The WSJ article made it sound more like Viacom (father) is looking for a rich, young suitor (Columbia House) to come along and take his problem daughter (Blockbuster) off his hands. Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   David Susilo

David Susilo

Screenwriter

• 1,199 posts

Posted September 20 2003 - 04:22 PM

Then it's not a merge. Just a 'regular' sale.

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

• 1,711 posts

Posted September 22 2003 - 02:05 AM

My local store(s) carry both titles in WIDESCREEN only.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   David Susilo

David Susilo

Screenwriter

• 1,199 posts

Posted September 22 2003 - 02:38 AM

Somebody should give them a kick in the head. I went to several BB in my area, my work area and my performance area. They only carry PS versions of those titles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users