What's new

Sub Preout/Amp Control Questions (1 Viewer)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Hi everyone,
I'm running a JVC LH-2000 which has a dedicated subwoofer preout.It has a setting for Low(Frequencies higher than 50hz are blocked from the sub) Mid(frequencies higher than 80hz are blocked from the sub) and High(frequencies higher than 115hz are blocked from the sub). It also has a level that can be adjusted from 0-12(I'm assuming this is just a decibel boost). For a sub, I'm running a compact Kenwood Woox powered sub underneath my front passenger seat. The Woox has a wired remote that has controls for Level(I'm assuming this is nothing but a gain control), cross over, and phase.
I'm sort of confused as to what I should do in terms of settings. The Woox allows the remote to be turned off and thus the sub totally controlled by the headunit. I'm not sure which is the best option for me. I'm looking for noticeable but not ear splitting bass, specifically kick drums and the like.
So, should I
1)disable the remote adjustments on the sub and just use the headunits crossover and sub boost controls?
2)Set the headunit crossover to the highest setting(meaning more frequencies go to the sub) and then use the subs gain/cross over to boost the bass to the way I like it?
3)Set the headunit to mid, boost the frequency using the sub out bass boost, and then also use the controls on the sub?
I'm sort of confused as my last car setup had no dedicated sub control on the headunit, so i used the crossover settings/bass boost control on the amp that was powering the sub.
At any rate, can someone enlighten me? Thanks for any info

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Use the ehadunit only.

It makes controlling your system a touch type of thing .... NOT a "which remote does what" type of system.

Brent

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I would just pop in a couple of CDs you listen to a lot and decide which setup sounds better. To me it sounds like sending the sub the full range of frequencies and controlling the xover with the remote would be ideal. I hate navigating through my HU's menu fixing xover settings as I'm driving.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I'm sort of considering using both now. I've set my headunit cross over at mid, with a bass level of 4. I then set the remote at 60hz with a gain level of about 40%. It doesn't distort on songs with lots of bass nor does it makes ones that are a bit weaker sound flat. Still need to do more tweaking but I think I'll just use a little of both :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks