Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: X2: X-Men United w/ Screenshots!! (VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
133 replies to this topic

#21 of 134 OFFLINE   ChrisConklin

ChrisConklin

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted September 08 2003 - 04:13 PM

I will definately be buying this disc...but any rumors floatin around if another edition will be released after this one to force us to double dip?

#22 of 134 OFFLINE   Herb Kane

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts

Posted September 08 2003 - 06:26 PM

Quote:
I am just glad I finally got a MAJOR release to stretch my legs on a bit.

Exactly what was going through my mind during Pink Cadillac.....Posted Image

Great review Adam!

Herb.
My Top 25 Noirs:

25. 711 Ocean Drive (1950), 24. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), 23. Desperate (1947), 22. Pushover (1954), 21. The Blue Dahlia (1946), 20. The File on Thelma Jordon (1949), 19. He Ran All the Way (1951), 18. The Asphalt Jungle (1950), 17. The Killing (1956), 16. I Walk Alone (1948),...

#23 of 134 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted September 08 2003 - 06:42 PM

Quote:
As long as you guys like them and get what you need out of them, I will try my best to keep them comming.

Speaking for myself, I didn't really need to know zip about the DVD because my mind was made up after I saw the movie in the theater. But your review is definitely informative and I don't want to downplay that aspect.

I'm a screenshot junkie. I've even suggested that a new forum be created strictly for screenshots. If I had my way every review would require them. I don't think I need to go into how powerful images can be because we all know how important visuals are when it comes to movies. Screenshots are a slice of the visual feast movies provide and they can be very effective as far as showcasing particular scenes.

Years ago when I first started reading the X-Men comic books I saw many interpretations of Wolverine escaping the Weapon X lab and discovering his adamantium claws. 1 2 3 4

Posted Image

I wasn't disappointed by what I saw of that moment in X2 and was very impressed. To me the internet is one big interactive magazine and as such pictures are essential. Human beings mostly rely on their sense of sight and the person that presents the vision has the power. Sure a title like From Justin To Kelly doesn't deserve this kind of treatment, but big movies like X2 definitely warrant the extra mile and as you can see it's appreciated.

#24 of 134 OFFLINE   Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted September 08 2003 - 06:54 PM

I'm EXTREMELY disappointed that the DVD is bass-less. At first I thought that maybe Adam didn't have a subwoofer that was powerful enough for the subsonic frequencies, and then I remembered I read in another thread that he had a B4+....so nothing can be more powerful than that. It's truly disappointing, that this release is lacking all the bass that I heard in theaters.

When I saw it at my local THX Certified theater, I *SWEAR* that most people could not even breath because the bass was so powerful, it was making people uncomfortable. This strong bass was throughout the entire movie. I specifically remember the end
where the castle breaks and all the water starts coming out
all of the seats were shaking so violently (with all the bass) that it felt like I was on Regan's bed in the "Exorcist."

It was *FAR* more powerful in bass than LOTR, or The Haunting.

#25 of 134 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted September 08 2003 - 08:13 PM

absolutely Great review indeed and liked the fact that you included lots of screenshots.

Why oh why do they have to release all major releases in november

only joking

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#26 of 134 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted September 08 2003 - 08:24 PM

Those screenshots do look gorgeous. I wonder what all the Super35 bashers will have to say about the transfer. Posted Image

DJ

#27 of 134 OFFLINE   Armand G

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted September 08 2003 - 09:06 PM

Excellent review.Posted Image Posted Image
Hometheater Rules!

#28 of 134 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,723 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 01:35 AM

That was a very nice review. My single complaint, and please don't take it personally, is that someone needs to edit these reviews before they are posted. If the HTF is going to maintain its current level of excellence, then official reviews need to be proofread and corrected prior to publication. Grammatical errors should be avoided whenever possible. For example, there is no such word as "allot." This is a common and understandable mistake. It should be "a lot." Again, I'm not busting on you Adam. It was a very thorough and enthusiastic review and I appreciate your attention to detail.
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#29 of 134 OFFLINE   TomWoodward

TomWoodward

Second Unit

• 358 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 01:45 AM

Very good review Adam, I'm really look forward to this one. Thanks for sorting all those menu shots out for me too, much appreciated!
Tom Woodward
DVDActive.com

#30 of 134 OFFLINE   Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 01:52 AM

Quote:
I'm EXTREMELY disappointed that the DVD is bass-less

Fear not Mitch. Due to my comments, people are worried about the LFE. I think this DVD deserves another round tonight where I will concentrate on SOUND! I did not listen to it at reference level. I really want to make sure I represent the sound correctly, so I will give one more go.

Quote:
For example, there is no such word as "allot."

Brian, funny enough my Microsoft Word changed all of my "alot"s to "allot". I thought it looked funny. I will change them to "a lot". Please remember, it takes like 10 or so hours to cook up these reviews. There is so much info to go over, that you are brain-dead after the fact and you just want it posted. I usually proofread after its posted. Admittedly, I probably still have some mispelling that Spell check didnt get, and a few "incorrect" sentences. I will try and clean those up today. Obvisously this is something I need to work on as you are the second person to mention proofreading. I'll get better at it.... dont you worry! Posted Image

#31 of 134 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 02:02 AM

Adam,

GREAT review. Wow. Love the screen shots and all the detail!

If you get a chance before it goes back to FOX, I'd love to find out about the comparison between the DTS and the DD audio. You've got an awesome sound system (and my same speakers) and I'd love to know if there's an audible improvement with the DTS. If you don't get time...no biggie.

Those screen-shots are just gorgeous and I personally think that they really add value. Can't wait to get this title...sounds like a good excuse to drive the hour down into Maryland to watch this on my friend's Sharp 9000 projector!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

p.s. I still have those DVDs to send to you...I *completely* lost track and thought I had mailed them! Got the box and DVD ready to go and will get them out *today*.
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#32 of 134 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 02:35 AM

Didn't bother seeing this one in the theaters so I'll buy the DVD.

Peace Out~Posted Image
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#33 of 134 OFFLINE   Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,337 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 02:58 AM

Adam, stellar review. I thought this surpassed its predecessor by a mile. Damn the grammar police. This dvd looks like a winner all the way!

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115_zpse210a

#34 of 134 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,803 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 04:31 AM

Quote:
For example, there is no such word as "allot."
Just to pick nits...from Dictionary.com:
Quote:
3 entries found for allot.

al·lot ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-lt)
tr.v. al·lot·ted, al·lot·ting, al·lots

To parcel out; distribute or apportion: allotting land to homesteaders; allot blame.

To assign as a portion; allocate: allotted 20 minutes to each speaker.
It's no wonder MS Word kept changing it to allot - that damned program thinks it's smarter than any human... Posted Image

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#35 of 134 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 05:03 AM

i would second DaViDs request to compare the DD and DTS tracks.

#36 of 134 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,476 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted September 09 2003 - 05:08 AM

Fantastic review Adam, one of the best I've ever seen on a dvd release anywhere.
Posted Image Posted Image

Really looking forward to this DVD, I hugely enjoyed it at the cinema, one of the very few movie sequels that betters the original.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#37 of 134 OFFLINE   SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja

Second Unit

• 311 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 11:14 AM

Great review Adam. I can only imagine the time it takes you to put these together...I really appreciate your attention to detail and the screens are excellent.

Just pre-ordered this after reading your review.

Thanks

Sean
Owner, Skiing Ninja

#38 of 134 OFFLINE   Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter

• 1,494 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 12:34 PM

Great review and a disc I can't wait to give a spin. It even comes out on my birthday, how wonderfully convenient.

As to those asking if there will be an X-men 2.5, I highly doubt it. First this disc is obviously far more in depth then the original X-men disc, and the supplements line up similarly with what you get on 1.5. Second, a few months ago DVD File did an interview with the producers of 1.5 and they said that the same team was working on the X-2 set, and that the two sets were designed to be complementary to each other, which again seems to shine through in the supplemental features.

I mean, apart from either a new cut and/or more substantive deleted scenes, what more could there be to add to this set?

#39 of 134 OFFLINE   Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 01:00 PM

Ok, so I lied. Please re-read my edited sound section. I watched again, this time concentration on sound. I am sorry if I scared anyone. LFE and surround are VERY prominent on this DVD. I watched most of it just below reference level this time and watched certain scenes at reference. I have a much better view of the sound now. I must say... AWESOME.

Here is the new sound section if you are too lazy.

#########
The sound was very, very good. Dialog was spot on. Voices were nice and bold. I never had a hard time hearing the dialog. I never felt the need to turn up the volume due to low dialog. However, feeling the need to crank the db's to bask in some engaging surround sound, is a different story.

Music was strong and clear. Very nice stereo separation. A lot of ambience and special effects going to the rear speakers. The rear surround was very involved throughout the movie. It was very well mixed in my opinion. I very much suggest the DTS track for this movie.

Edit: I re-watched X2 again, concentrating on all key special effects in Dolby Digital AND DTS at almost refernce level. The DD is very good, but in my opinion, the difference with DTS is night and day. First, the White House scene in the beginning with Nightcrawler, all the gun shots and "bampf"ing sounded muffled on the DD. They were much more clear and defined effects on the DTS track. The ambience that the DTS provides is expansive.

One of the absolute best tests for DD vs. DTS with X2 is when Storm and Jean track down Nightcrawler at the church. Listen to the echoes when Nighcrawler is bampfing and yelling. The DD is flat and more centered to the "Front 3". This scene in DTS is so much better. The surrounds are used much, much more. The decay of his echoes are expansive and they linger a lot more. The sound is just so much more engaging, enveloping and airy. If this scene doesnt convince the DTS vs. DD naysayers, I don't know what will. I must add, those who say that there wasn't very much surround on this DVD, must have heard a VERY different DVD than I. Surround is constant through this entire movie!

Edit:
LFE was EXCELLENT! There is plenty to give your sub a workout on this DVD. I give demos all the time for by B4-Plus and Rocket Speaker system. I am VERY intimate with the Lord of the Rings and Pod Race on Episode 1. X2 Certainly delivers bass as low as Lord of the Rings. You dont get the 10 minute constant barrage of LFE that wants to tear your house down, but it certainly is as low and powerful for certain effects. Lord of the Rings "Fellowship" is still my reference for bass. When X2 uses LFE, it certainly can hang with LOTR.

Helicoptors at the X-Masion raid at the 36mm mark had nice LFE. The cop car explosion at Bobby's parents house reached very deep at the 61:00 mark. Very good bass with the X-Jet dog fight and the 67:00 mark. The scene where Cyclops and Jean fight at the 88:00 minute mark is some nice LFE. The best and lowest LFE is by far, is the scenes where we see the dam breaking apart. These LFE effects are definitely LOTR worthy. This LFE comes at the 102:00 108:00, 110:00, and expecialy the 113:00 mark were the dam breaks fee. VERY SERIOUS BASS! I hope you have a good sub.

#40 of 134 OFFLINE   Steven Simon

Steven Simon

Producer

• 3,272 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 02:11 PM

Ahhh...
November 25th is my Birthday.... Should be an exciting day Posted Image
Steve Simon
HTF Administration
(Retired)

Back to DVD, Blu-ray & Digital HD Reviews

Forum Nav Content I Follow