What's new

Smallville - New Season (1 Viewer)

Bruce_S

Second Unit
I believe new season starts on Oct. 1. - I caught a brief preview of the new episode few days ago. One scene that caught my eyes was when Clark and his dad (I think) falls from a tall building. As I recalled, the producers mentioned 'no flights or tights' or something like that when the series started. I'm wondering if they have change their minds about flying part at least. It seems like Clark might be discovering his flying ability this season from the clip I saw. In the past, he has floated and he mentioned of his floating ability when he saved Lana from the twister.

I don't see why we can't see him fly. Since, we have seen how he have discovered his other powers. I think, he would be cool to see. I'm looking forward to this new season. It seems like Lex is destined to be evil by the end of this season.

-bruce

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
I hope he doesn't turn evil until the final season.
That would be a good end for the show - in the final episodes something bad happens that makes Lex turn evil and move to Metropolis and at the same time Clark moves to Metropolis to start working for the Daily Planet.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Lex already is evil, guys. For instance, he's already stolen Clark's blood, and he's got his high-tech version of Chloe's "Wall of Wierd". But the magnificent bastard known as Lionel embodies most of the bad seed so far. I like to think of the two as seperate personas of the Lex Luthor character from the comics (where there is no Lionel).

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't call that evil - he's curious that's all.
Clark has lied to Lex far more often than the other way around.
And think of all the break-ins, thefts and vandalism that Clark has committed to keep his identity secret - if you keep a list then Clark should be called the villain of the show :) .

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Anyone get yet another Buffy copy?

Season 2 both ended with the main character leaving town to a big city.

Season 3 begins with Clark doing bad things
and Season 3 of Buffy began with her ignoring her duties.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I wouldn't say a "Buffy Copy" based on one coincidence (which we could say is simply good character progression) and another which is a stretch (actively doing bad things
and ignoring duties are quite different, imho.

While Buffy never intregued me, because of its intentional camp factor, Smallville continues to pull me in. To call it, or bits of it, a simple "Buffy copy" doesn't seem fair. I'm sure the writers aren't just sitting in a room exploring how they can rip off a moderately-popular cult show which had no actual purpose (come on, she died three times, you can't tell me they had a plan.) At least Smallville eventually moves on to Superman, we all know that. It's the journey we watch, when we all know how it ends (Lana and Clark don't get together, Clark and Lex fall out, Clark becomes Superman.)

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Robert, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that. Buffy couldn't deal with the loss of Angel at the end of Season 2, so she skipped town. Clark couldn't deal with the loss of the baby at the end of Season 2, so he skipped town. Hmmm...

Now let's just hope that at the end of Season 3, Lana doesn't gut rogue reporter Chloe with her knife before Lionel turns into a giant demon snake and eats half of Smallville High. ;)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Well, my post was supposed to mention previous buffy comparisons.

Chloe - Willow (obviously lifted from Willow)
Pete - Xander (friend who only helps mostly with research)
Lex - Strange older man that enters Clark's life and has a major impact on him.

There is a website that clearly lists all the obvious Buffy rip-offs. It's simply clear that the makers of Smallville were Buffy fans, or used the same formula (monster of the week because of meteor rocks, monster of the week because of hellmouth).

It just makes me mad they wont admit it. Hell, even an episode titled Shimmer involved a student who became invisible, the opening teaser had a student attacked by the invisible kid in a locker room.

A season one episode of Buffy is just like that.

I'm not saying using the same formula is wrong, but it's clear they are doing it. When they don't even say "Yeah, we liked Buffy and used some of the same themes" it makes me mad.

I write stories to my friend. It's a weekly thing written in script form. While the themes are borrowed heavily from Buffy/Angel/Alias, I don't deny it. If a scene is written and she says "it reminded me of a buffy episode" I usually say "That's where I got the idea."

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's simply clear that the makers of Smallville were Buffy fans, or used the same formula (monster of the week because of meteor rocks, monster of the week because of hellmouth).
Becuase this formula had never been used before. Especially not in "Adventure Comics", where Superboy made his debut.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
When I first started watching Smallville, I fully expeected a Buffy rip-off. What I got was a lot more like the X-Files, with Chloe as Mulder and Clark as Scully. Whiel you can draw vague similarities between Smallville characters and Buffy characters, you can do this with almost any genre show with an identifiable lead. The overall structure of the show is quite different, not to mention that despite the weak supporting cast parallels, Clark is nothing like Buffy.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
http://www.gigmatrix.com/screen/scre...allville.shtml

Honestly, the creators have to admit to borrowing a lot of themes. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with that (I've done it myself) but at least admit that the setup is the same.
While Buffy never intregued me, because of its intentional camp factor, Smallville continues to pull me in. To call it, or bits of it, a simple "Buffy copy" doesn't seem fair. I'm sure the writers aren't just sitting in a room exploring how they can rip off a moderately-popular cult show which had no actual purpose (come on, she died three times, you can't tell me they had a plan.) At least Smallville eventually moves on to Superman, we all know that. It's the journey we watch, when we all know how it ends (Lana and Clark don't get together, Clark and Lex fall out, Clark becomes Superman.)
I never once said it was completely copying. I was implying that certain stories were borrowed, and were so heavily similar that they had to have been inspired by Buffy. It's not like Buffy is all heaven or something (Hell, even Joss admits that he borrows elements of The Matrix in his shows because he liked the movie so much)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I wouldnt call Smallville a Buffy copy...

There are a few similarities at the same exact times which is a bit of a coincidence (both endings of S2 were almost the same)... They probably did pull some ideas from Buffy... Some of the writers are fans and some even worked on Buffy back when it was at the WB... Ok, lets face it... They obviously pulled a few ideas from Buffy...

But, the show in general is not a ripoff IMO at all...

Hunter P

Screenwriter

:laugh: Yeah, Buffy invented everything. Nothing existed before it. No way anyone would think of invisible villans if they didn't see it on Buffy first.

If one looks for proof hard enough they will find it. I bet that I can probably pick some random show and show how Buffy copied heavily from it. I could pick something like Scooby Doo or Misfits of Science or whatever and find something in it that was also in Buffy. Hell, give me enough time and I could show how it was a complete rip-off of The Dukes of Hazzard.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
That's exactly what I mean. It's pretty stupid to call the show a flatout COPY considering it's based on a series of comics that ran before the B films that inspired BUFFY's title.... lol

Some themes are obviously borrowed (so are the themes of many other shows) just like Buffy borrowed them from other shows too. I just think it's a little interesting to see how it can be compared to Buffy. I missed a lot of the second season and am anxious to see how things go in Season 3.

Anyone know if this season will air in widescreen? I seem to recall at least one episode last year that aired this way.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Smallville isn't exactly based on comics. It covers a period that was never covered in much depth outside Superboy, which it bears little resemblance to.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It does a pretty good job reconciling those old "Superboy" comics with John Byrne's "Man Of Steel", though, taking bits from both the Silver and Modern age Superman continuities. Lex, in particular, is an interesting blend of Siegel & Schuster's guy who blames Superboy for his lost hair and Byrne's businessman.

Interestingly enough, Mark Waid's current "Superman: Birthright" series appears to be attempting to move the current Superman comics more toward Smallville.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks