Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A film you should all see--To End All Wars

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted September 07 2003 - 11:05 AM

This movie is probably one of the best war films ever. It is in a Japanese prisoner of war camp and is based on a 1962 book by Ernest Gordon (a true-life survivor of the camps), The Miracle on the River Kwai, and is what Bridge on the River Kwai was made from.

However, this film is much more realistic. There are very cruel scenes with Japanese soldiers against prisoners of war and vice versa. But, the thing that is the best about this film is the message of forgiveness even in the worst of times.

I hope you can see it in America. It was released in 2001 and stars Kiefer Sutherland, Robert Carlyle, and Ciarán McMenamin.

Perhaps one of the most remembered scenes is when one of the men, giving his life for another, accepts the punishment for the first man--death. He ends up being killed like Jesus Christ

This movie is on dvd in Japan right now and if you can watch Region 2 discs, I advise you to get it. Who knows when it might get to the United States.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Bill J

Bill J

Producer

• 3,970 posts

Posted September 07 2003 - 01:06 PM

I remember hearing about this film a few years ago. Unfortunately I only have Region 1 DVD capabilities. Posted Image

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted September 07 2003 - 05:47 PM

This got an extremely limited release on the West Coast earlier this year, plus a one week run in L.A. in December to get award consideration (yeah, right, not with that kind of distribution). As far as I know, there's no talk of a Region 1 DVD. The distributor, Argyll Films, hasn't updated the official website since the end of the limited release.

http://www.argyllfilms.com