What's new

sound help for gc/xbox/ps2 (1 Viewer)

PaulRails

Auditioning
Hi, guys. I have a question that's buggin' me.
Recently, I bought my brother an xbox for his birthday and a store had some deal where I could get some extra stuff with it. One of the extras happened to be a Altec Lansing XA3001 gaming subwoofer (sorry, wouldn't let me link to a site that had details about it, it's a $20 or so subwoofer) and tried it out before his birthday came around. Well, I guess I just never realized how much I was missin' cuz I was pretty impressed by that extra bass. So now my question is this:

Is it worth getting or should I invest in something else for gaming like (again, apologize, had a link) the 5.1 gaming sound system made by Monster Cable?

Keep in mind that I really don't know much about sound systems and all that, so no, I didn't think about a $1000 sound system, cuz I'm not going to go that route, that's just just too much for my room. The room is a bit small, so any suggestions on how to set it up with optimal space would be very appreciated.

Thanks, guys.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The monster thing won't work with the XB in 5.1 unless it contains a Dolby decoder and a DTS decoder for PS2. You can buy a decent home theater in a box for $3-400.

EdR

Second Unit
The Logitech Z680 would probably be a good fit for you. I also have a small room and it's ideal since the processor is inside the subwoofer, it's truly plug-and-play. You might be able to find it for $250 or so.

PaulRails

Auditioning
Hmm. I'll have to check into it, but what about the Monster audio setup? They're good with cables, what about sound systems? It'd be primarily used for my ps2/xbox/gc, so what'd be the best choice?

Also, what is the best setup of 5.1 speakers? I have them with my computer, and due to space limitations, haven't got them in the best spots. But what IS the best arrangement?

Also, in case I decide to go the simpler route, what is a good 2-speaker/woofer combo to get and would it be any better than just standard tv stereo with a subwoofer? That's why I'm askin everybody here. Hopin the gurus could help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks