Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

sound help for gc/xbox/ps2

Xbox PlayStation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   PaulRails

PaulRails

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 11:26 AM

Hi, guys. I have a question that's buggin' me.
Recently, I bought my brother an xbox for his birthday and a store had some deal where I could get some extra stuff with it. One of the extras happened to be a Altec Lansing XA3001 gaming subwoofer (sorry, wouldn't let me link to a site that had details about it, it's a $20 or so subwoofer) and tried it out before his birthday came around. Well, I guess I just never realized how much I was missin' cuz I was pretty impressed by that extra bass. So now my question is this:

Is it worth getting or should I invest in something else for gaming like (again, apologize, had a link) the 5.1 gaming sound system made by Monster Cable?

Keep in mind that I really don't know much about sound systems and all that, so no, I didn't think about a $1000 sound system, cuz I'm not going to go that route, that's just just too much for my room. The room is a bit small, so any suggestions on how to set it up with optimal space would be very appreciated.

Thanks, guys.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 01:45 PM

The monster thing won't work with the XB in 5.1 unless it contains a Dolby decoder and a DTS decoder for PS2. You can buy a decent home theater in a box for $3-400.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   EdR

EdR

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted September 07 2003 - 06:14 AM

The Logitech Z680 would probably be a good fit for you. I also have a small room and it's ideal since the processor is inside the subwoofer, it's truly plug-and-play. You might be able to find it for $250 or so.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   PaulRails

PaulRails

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted September 08 2003 - 05:40 PM

Hmm. I'll have to check into it, but what about the Monster audio setup? They're good with cables, what about sound systems? It'd be primarily used for my ps2/xbox/gc, so what'd be the best choice?

Also, what is the best setup of 5.1 speakers? I have them with my computer, and due to space limitations, haven't got them in the best spots. But what IS the best arrangement?

Also, in case I decide to go the simpler route, what is a good 2-speaker/woofer combo to get and would it be any better than just standard tv stereo with a subwoofer? That's why I'm askin everybody here. Hopin the gurus could help.