Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ford Thunderbird

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 OFFLINE   Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 01:54 AM

Two questions for the assembled experts: What do you all think of the "new" Thunderbird? What can one buy one for?I've heard that it's not really selling well and one might get one appreciably lower than sticker.
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#2 of 28 Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Posted September 06 2003 - 02:15 AM

Ugly, underpowered and overpriced, not to mention that it was designed for munchkinsPosted Image
you would be better off buying a corvette convertible or if money is a problem, a mustang convertible

#3 of 28 OFFLINE   Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 03:12 AM

Ahh, thanks, no paucity of opinions, I see. Posted Image Let's narrow the focus a bit and just say that I truly love the looks of this car (grew up riding in my dad's black '64, lots of good memories) and have no interest in Mustangs or other "sports" cars. Any input on pricing?
SVS Customer Service
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#4 of 28 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 04:19 AM

Quote:
Any input on pricing?

Didn't someone already do so?

Quote:
underpowered and overpriced

#5 of 28 OFFLINE   Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 04:26 AM

Yes, indeed, thank you. As helpful as that was, I was hoping for something a little more specific, like what they were actually selling for.
SVS Customer Service
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#6 of 28 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 04:35 AM

www.edmunds.com

for the lazy
$37k-$40k
Posted Image

#7 of 28 OFFLINE   Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 04:38 AM

There we go...thanks.
SVS Customer Service
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#8 of 28 OFFLINE   Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 05:46 AM

Reports are that Ford will be discontinuing it next year.

#9 of 28 OFFLINE   Justin Doring

Justin Doring

Screenwriter

• 1,468 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 10:08 AM

While I personally wouldn't buy a new Thunderbird, it would be a perfect third car for some people. I'd expect at least $5000 off sticker.
"Home is where the theater is!"

#10 of 28 OFFLINE   Mike__D

Mike__D

Supporting Actor

• 617 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 01:13 PM

The Mustang is build on an old, dated platform (it dates back to the 80's). The T-Bird is based on the Lincoln LS platform. This is the same one the new 2005 Mustang will be built on.

I believe the newest T-Birds have around 280HP, which is more than the Mustang GT. That being said, the T-Bird is no sports car, but it's got good power, unique looks, and some exclusivity, unlike the Mustang which you see everywhere.

#11 of 28 OFFLINE   Sujeet Patel

Sujeet Patel

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 01:51 PM

How about a Boxster? Classic styling, good power-to-weight ratio, unbelievable handling, and a great name behind it. You're in the same price range, or could even move up to a Boxster S if you want to go used.
Celebrity Seats is your source for great tickets!

#12 of 28 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,051 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted September 06 2003 - 02:48 PM

I have seen ads in the LA Times for new T-birds at $33K. They aren't selling well and last I heard they had A LOT of stock. You should be able to get one for substantially lower than sticker.

Happy hunting!

-Keith
As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#13 of 28 Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Posted September 06 2003 - 05:17 PM

Ford will discontinue it and have no idea (as usual) why it was not selling, underpowered for the price range and what it is supposed to compete against, very small inside, does not resemble the original T-bird, if it did, it would sell like there was no tommorow

#14 of 28 OFFLINE   Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted September 07 2003 - 08:31 AM

I have seen the new T-Bird advertised in the NY Times for as low as $29.5K at dealers ... and this is for NEW ones, not used.

#15 of 28 OFFLINE   Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted September 07 2003 - 11:14 PM

Quote:
I have seen ads in the LA Times for new T-birds at $33K. They aren't selling well and last I heard they had A LOT of stock. You should be able to get one for substantially lower than sticker.

Quote:
I have seen the new T-Bird advertised in the NY Times for as low as $29.5K at dealers ... and this is for NEW ones, not used.

Thanks much for the info., that's just what I was looking to confirm. Posted Image
SVS Customer Service
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#16 of 28 OFFLINE   Jason_H

Jason_H

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted September 08 2003 - 03:04 AM

Quote:
I believe the newest T-Birds have around 280HP, which is more than the Mustang GT.

I'm no fan of either car, but just to point out that the T-bird weighs in at 500 pounds more than the Mustang GT! That is a lot in terms of cars...

#17 of 28 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted September 08 2003 - 03:54 AM

Personally, I think it's a damn smart lookin' vehicle. My jaw hit the floor the first time I saw it. (It was sitting at an International Car Show, right next to a '60's model T-Bird.)

I do agree that it's overpriced though. Ford will be discontinuing it? That's too bad.

#18 of 28 OFFLINE   DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted September 08 2003 - 07:52 AM

I like it too. Not surprised that it's not selling well, the people who are going to buy it are also looking at BMW and Mercedes class cars, which the T-Bird just isn't at yet.

The new T-Bird was never meant to compete in the Mustang muscle-car arena, so comparing it to a mustang is pointless.

Ford does some strange stuff though. The T-Bird didn't sell well, so they're canceling it. But then they're coming out with a superhigh-end Mustang (better than the Cobra) that will be crazy expensive, and only people looking at porches and the like will consider. And of course they're not going to buy a Mustang.

That company makes some strange decisions sometimes.
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#19 of 28 OFFLINE   Jason_H

Jason_H

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted September 08 2003 - 08:31 AM

Quote:
Ford does some strange stuff though. The T-Bird didn't sell well, so they're canceling it. But then they're coming out with a superhigh-end Mustang (better than the Cobra) that will be crazy expensive, and only people looking at porches and the like will consider.

Are you referring to the Ford GT? It has absolutely zero to do with the Mustang, it is their revival of the old GT40 and will retail around $120k. It is basically their "halo" or supercar.

Many other automakers do the same thing...Mercedes has their SLR coming out (preceeded by the legendary McLaren F1), Porsche has the GT2, Honda the NSX, Dodge the Viper, etc. Just a chance to show the world what they can do and lend prestige to the rest of their product line. Ford sorely needs something like this right now, this is coming from the mouth of somebody who is pretty skeptical of all Ford autos.

#20 of 28 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted September 08 2003 - 09:26 AM

I agree that Ford needs to come out with the GT. Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow