Jump to content

Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

AC-3 question

  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Chris PG

Chris PG


  • 7 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 07 2003

Posted September 05 2003 - 10:43 AM

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this question or not, but I'll ask it here anyway. If it needs to be moved to another forum, please do so. This seems really stupid to ask, but what is the technical explanation to the term AC-3 output? Is this another word for coaxial output? The reason I'm asking is because my Scientific Atlanta HD cable box has the AC-3 output and no optical out. I was thinking that it's just a coaxial output that inputs into the reciever. If this is not the case, how would I hook it up to my receiver so that I could take advantage of the Dolby digital output of the cable box? Am I right, or am I way off? Thanks guys.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

    Executive Producer

  • 11,286 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 04 1999

Posted September 05 2003 - 10:53 AM

Yes it is. AC-3 is the original name of Dolby Digital

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Chris PG

Chris PG


  • 7 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 07 2003

Posted September 05 2003 - 11:01 AM

Thanks Jeff. That's what I figured it was. I thought it sounded familiar when I remembered that term back in the days of LaserDisc. So, all I need is a coaxial cable from the cable box and then input that to the receiver and that's it, I'm set? I feel so dumb. I've had this cable box for weeks and only now figured that out! Thanks again.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles



  • 4,791 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 19 2002

Posted September 05 2003 - 11:59 AM

Yep. Run a coax cable (preferably 75-ohm) to your reciever. AC-3 stands for Audio Coding type 3, known round the world as Dolby Digital.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh


  • 5,183 posts
  • Join Date: May 22 1999

Posted September 05 2003 - 02:50 PM

AC-3 is the name of the compression scheme that Dolby Digital developed and offered to the DVD and HDTV standards groups. But AC-3 is not really very marketable so the term "DD" or "Dolby Digital" is used. Just like Dolby Pro-Logic encoding is often called "Dolby Surround". You need a Video Cable to connect your box to your receiver. These are all made with 75 ohm coax as Chris pointed out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users