-

Photo

Last American Virgin "Rescored"!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,481 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 04:20 AM

Unfortunately, it seems MGM has struck us with the "rescored" blues on not only Valley Girl, but also The Last American Virgin.

Human League's "Love Action" has been replaced by a second dosage of Devo's "Whip It." The offending moment occurs in the scene at the hamburger joint when Rick demands the keys to Gary's grandmother's house. And to think I sold my old VHS copy which contains the full, original soundtrack. Posted Image

Curiously, the original theatrical trailer, which is included on the DVD, opens with the first few seconds of "Love Action."

The end credits do not reflect the removal of "Love Action" as it is still listed there.

Jon

#2 of 15 MartinTeller

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 04:38 AM

Does it still have "Are You Ready for the Sex Girls" by Gleaming Spires?

#3 of 15 Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,481 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 04:44 AM

Yes, the familiar Gleaming Spires tune is still in place. Everything else seems to be there except for "Love Action."

-Jon

#4 of 15 TomF

TomF

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 05:48 AM

I can still remember reading a short time after the movie was out that Love Action was removed from the soundtrack. I'm pretty sure it was the recording artist Human League that had it pulled because they did not want to be associated with the film's controversial subject matter. I searched the net and could not find corroboration, but I distinctly remember reading this (I was a Human League fan at the time). It sounds like it made it to VHS, but I wonder if this has anything to do with why it's not on the DVD.

#5 of 15 Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 06:19 AM

If what Tom has just posted is accurate, it's entirely possible that Human League simply wouldn't grant MGM the rights to use the song on the new DVD and that was that.

#6 of 15 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,013 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 09:28 AM

WTF??? WHY WASN'T THIS INDICATED ON THE COVER???
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#7 of 15 Vlad D

Vlad D

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 11:17 AM

Quote:
If what Tom has just posted is accurate, it's entirely possible that Human League simply wouldn't grant MGM the rights to use the song on the new DVD and that was that.

I wonder if situations like this are being considered with new films, so that rights to include the song on future DVD's are written in the contracts when studios obtain the rights to put a song in a movie.

#8 of 15 Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 06:02 AM

Vlad, yes. Home video rights have been written into contracts for some time now.
My Collection

#9 of 15 Vlad D

Vlad D

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 02:17 PM

Thanks Dan.

#10 of 15 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted September 07 2003 - 07:29 AM

Quote:
I was a Human League fan at the time

Tom, it's okay, we all do strange things in our youth.

#11 of 15 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted September 07 2003 - 09:41 AM

Hey, I still love The Human League. In fact, I correctly identified a lyric on the radio one day in my teens from "Don't You Want Me, Baby?" and won $50! Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#12 of 15 Joe:C

Joe:C

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted January 22 2005 - 12:28 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just had to say I'm relieved that only one song was changed. I plan on getting the DVD, but I had heard the music was altered. Of course this got me thinking the entire 80's soundtrack had been changed. I know music replacement has become a big issue in recent years, so I'm relieved to get most of the songs intact. I haven't seen the movie in a while so I probably won't notice the replacement anyway.

#13 of 15 Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 02:56 AM

Quote:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just had to say I'm relieved that only one song was changed. I plan on getting the DVD, but I had heard the music was altered. Of course this got me thinking the entire 80's soundtrack had been changed. I know music replacement has become a big issue in recent years, so I'm relieved to get most of the songs intact. I haven't seen the movie in a while so I probably won't notice the replacement anyway.

The rest of the music is there. And, the other songs were a lot "bigger".

U2's I WILL FOLLOW is still on it, and U2 just performed that on Saturday Night Live last year. That is still a popular song and the music rights must have been far more expensive than the Human League song.

Now maybe this explains why MGM hasn't released ELECTRIC DREAMS on DVD, since it had a Human League title tune (which is always in rotation on VH1 Classics. Great video, with clips and all the stars from the film. If it ever gets a DVD release, I hope it gets included).

#14 of 15 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,726 posts

Posted January 23 2005 - 09:38 AM

Quote:
Now maybe this explains why MGM hasn't released ELECTRIC DREAMS on DVD, since it had a Human League title tune (which is always in rotation on VH1 Classics. Great video, with clips and all the stars from the film. If it ever gets a DVD release, I hope it gets included).

I always liked ELECTRIC DREAMS, although it annoyed me that when I spilled booze on my hard-drive, it just stopped working. It totally didn't become a super-intelligent machine at all.

Vincent

#15 of 15 Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,481 posts

Posted June 13 2012 - 06:59 AM

I revisited this topic today here.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow