Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Why are people such nasty SOBs when they drive?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

#1 of 64 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 02:37 AM

I have been driving around Southern California now for 3 weeks and hate it. Yesterday I was at a red light and noticed that the guy next had his gas door open and the cap undone so I let him know....and he told me where to stick my head and a few other things. Great way to start the morning!
I try to let people out of driveways etc. and they dont even bother looking because they dont expect it.
It's not that the freeways are clogged, it's much worse up in the Bay Area...at least where I am driving.
Did the Zoloft supply run out down here????
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#2 of 64 OFFLINE   Scott_lb

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor

• 592 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 02:51 AM

You have no idea how much I agree with your statement. I could be wrong, but it has been my experiene that driving in Los Angeles is completely different than driving in other large cities (Chicago, DC, Minneapolis, etc.). I have never in my life seen people who seemed nearly as rude and obnoxious on the road.
"My name is El Nino which in spanish means.... The Nino!" - Chris Farley

#3 of 64 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 02:52 AM

Quote:
I was at a red light and noticed that the guy next had his gas door open and the cap undone so I let him know....and he told me where to stick my head and a few other things.
Some people are jerks whether they're in a car or not.
Quote:
I try to let people out of driveways etc. and they dont even bother looking because they dont expect it.
I'm a very courteous driver but I've cut way down on trying to help other drivers out. Most of the time it just makes matters worse. There has to be a very high probability for success for me to try to help someone out.

#4 of 64 OFFLINE   AllanN

AllanN

Supporting Actor

• 952 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 03:03 AM

Quote:
Some people are jerks whether they're in a car or not.

I agree completely see my post in the current cell phone thread. You don't need a car or a phone, or a phone and a car, some people are just assholes.
“Aquaba is over there, it’s only a matter of going.” –Lawrence "I am not now, nor have I ever been a psychologist" -Mumford
"...you can't control who gets hit or who doesn't, who falls our of a chopper or why. It ain't up to you. Its just war." -Hoot
"Fear is the path to the dark...

#5 of 64 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 03:18 AM

If everyone rode segways.. this would never come up.

#6 of 64 OFFLINE   Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,337 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 03:22 AM

We would find a way to be just as rude on a scooter, trust me.

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115_zpse210a

#7 of 64 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 03:23 AM

Just be glad we don't have flying cars.
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#8 of 64 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,657 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted September 05 2003 - 03:41 AM

Try riding out there on a bicycle and dealing with drivers! The majority of the drivers I encounter are fine, but there are the few that think just because you go wide to avoid getting doored by a guy who just pulled into the side to park on the street, you're slowing them down and they will be 10 seconds late for work. The horror! Just the other day, A guy in a P/U truck just pulled onto the side of the street to park and I was coming up on him. I looked in my mirror to merge into the row of cars and this middle aged lady in a Toyota Echo beeps and looks over in my direction as I pull back onto the side street. Now it wasn't a lay on the horn kind of beep but it makes me wonder what on earth was she thinking. Like waiting for a vehicle (me) who has every legal right to take the lane, is going to make her late for work by 10 seconds max. Plus, everybody on the sidestreet is only doing 30mph max while I'm chugging down around 19mph on my MTB.

People are such nasty SOBs because they think they are untouchable in their cages. The courts seem to think so too, unfortunately.

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#9 of 64 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 03:51 AM

I drive for a living (ambulette), putting about 100,000 miles a year on the road I have to deal with other drivers alot more than your average Joe. After awhile you just develop a samurai "Death will come any minute" attitude and don't let the other people bother you as much.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#10 of 64 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 03:56 AM

Well at least I am not the only one who feels this way.
I think it's pretty sad, it's a fairly wealthy area...decent weather(too damn hot for me but most like it), everyone has nice cars, gated houses ....so why the hell is everyone so pissed off??
Just before I left my house, a kid asked me for a smoke. I told him I didn't smoke and he said that he shouldn't be smokin etc....and you know he didn't have a dime to his name ...but he was as nice as can be.
Oh Well 2 more hours and I get to fly home...I cant wait!
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#11 of 64 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 03:56 AM

People are such nasty SOBs because they think they are untouchable in their cages.

Exactly. They are rude because they can be, without consequences.

However, there is another reason for it, I believe. When you're in a car, you don't know the motivations behind other people's actions, and unfortunately that means we assume they're evil bastards and react that way to them. It could be that someone just really needs to go to the bathroom and is in a hurry to get home, so is trying to sneak by. If it was on a scooter, we'd see him crossing his legs Posted Image, and hear him go "excuse me.... sorry... bathroom emergency..." as he cruised between us. In a car, we'd assume he's just another asshole trying to get ahead.

If we could communicate better between drivers, we'd have much less of the road rage and hostility. I'm pretty sure that as technology advances, something that allows us to interact more with other drivers will emerge. It would (literally) save lives, IMO.
/Mike

#12 of 64 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 04:00 AM

Quote:
you just develop a samurai "Death will come any minute" attitude and don't let the other people bother you as much.

Having just come back from Gunagzhou, China, where there doesn't seem to be any traffic laws -- luv it when the taxi driver makes a U-turn on an one way street, then proceed to speed down the street against oncoming traffic -- that's the mentality over there. Given the number of cars, motorcycles, scooters, bicycles, taxis, buses, and pedestrians on the streets, I noticed surprisingly few traffic accidents.
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#13 of 64 OFFLINE   Scott Strang

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

• 1,133 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 04:01 AM

Quote:
Yesterday I was at a red light and noticed that the guy next had his gas door open and the cap undone so I let him know....and he told me where to stick my head and a few other things.

Too bad he didn't have a rag stuffed in the receptacle and you with a lighter.Posted Image

#14 of 64 OFFLINE   Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,337 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 04:06 AM

Quote:
everyone has nice cars, gated houses

I don't even know where to start to contest this. So I won't.

Grant, agreed many drivers here seem to lack patience. This of course extends in other areas. It's in our fast paced fabric. Many are probably very unaware of their disposition. From a resident's standpoint, you just have to give up, turn up your radio, slow down and tune out. You can't police people flying by you at 100 mph. Despite the "sob" factor, it's out of your hands.

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115_zpse210a

#15 of 64 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 04:08 AM

Quote:
If we could communicate better between drivers, we'd have much less of the road rage and hostility
but then you'd have people telling you they need to go to the bathroom so that you'd let them by (even if they didn't).

When I left for work yesterday morning, there was a fender bender on the main road. I was on a side street trying to get onto the main road, but the accident was right at the intersection I was at and it was hard to get around. I had to wait for the traffic that was approaching the accident and then I had to be certain that the oncoming traffic was clear because I would need to use the other side of the road to get around the accident.

While waiting for the oncomming traffic to clear, this guy pulls up behind me and starts blowing his horn because I wasn't moving. Posted Image Where did he think I was supposed to go? The accident was right in front of me! Some people flip out WAY too easily before assessing the situation.

The thing that KILLS me is when someone cuts you off, you beep at them, and they have the nerve to give YOU the finger Posted Image There was a response in another thread that has helped me from going balistic in this situation...Those types of people are "assholes" and they'll eventually get what's coming to them in the end.

So everytime you hear of someone being shot at "For no apparent reason", I sometimes like to think that maybe the guy being shot at flipped off the WRONG person and is now paying the price Posted Image

#16 of 64 OFFLINE   Tim Markley

Tim Markley

Screenwriter

• 1,279 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 04:34 AM

Quote:
The thing that KILLS me is when someone cuts you off, you beep at them, and they have the nerve to give YOU the finger There was a response in another thread that has helped me from going balistic in this situation...Those types of people are "assholes" and they'll eventually get what's coming to them in the end.
Yea, I always love it when that happens. I can't help but laugh at these people because they're so obviously clueless.

#17 of 64 OFFLINE   Brian Perry

Brian Perry

Screenwriter

• 2,815 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 04:42 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that as technology advances, something that allows us to interact more with other drivers will emerge

That might make things worse...there are times I wish I had a programmable neon sign that I could type in:

"hey idiot--you just made an illegal lane change"
"...you just cut me off"
"...turn on your lights"
"...get out of the left lane unless you're passing"
"...this is a no-truck lane"

etc.

#18 of 64 OFFLINE   Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 05:18 AM

I just wish I had a James Bond kind of car with:

- Spikes or oil to drop behind for people that are tailing me too close

- Missiles up front to blow assholes that cut me, drive like a madman on cocaine or generally show total disregard for those around him.

#19 of 64 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 05:47 AM

I know what you mean. If they pass the concealed carry law here I will be sorely tempted to use it on the roads.Posted Image

#20 of 64 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 05:49 AM

Quote:
Just be glad we don't have flying cars.
Here's a pic of my next project. Plans arrived last Friday.

http://clubpolk.polk....&postid=113751

Peace Out~Posted Image
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow