-

Photo

Citizen Kane DVD: What could go wrong?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,467 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted August 15 2001 - 12:17 PM

Since all hell is breaking loose because WB has released two open matte/P&S DVD's (or will release), what could go wrong with the Citizen Kane DVD and Doctor Zhivago DVD?

Be serious, though.

I pre-ordered them, so I'd like to know what could be screwed up.

------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

#2 of 16 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,726 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted August 15 2001 - 12:28 PM

Quote:
what could go wrong

Colorized "Turner Special Edition" Citizen Kane.

Pan and scan Doctor Zhivago.

Anything else we could probably live with.... Posted Image

------------------
Feline audience members Katie, Susie, and the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin

Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#3 of 16 Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted August 15 2001 - 01:05 PM

I know what will happen. The WB will crop Citizen Kane down to 2.20 : 1 they way MGM did with a re-release of Gone With the Wind in the late 60s! Also, the audio will only be in DTS 5.1.

They will pan and scan Doctor Zhivago, but there will be no panning, just the left 50% of the picture at all times. Oh, and they will cut the running time down to 87 minutes, to cut all the boring crap out in between the good parts so the Brittney (sp?) Spears crowd can get into it.

[Edited last by Jason Hughes on August 15, 2001 at 08:07 PM]
Government in action = Government inaction

#4 of 16 Mark Klaus

Mark Klaus

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted August 15 2001 - 01:30 PM

They'll probably have some "whiz-kid" marketing phenom determine that CK buyers are movie buffs and thus like widescreen presentations. They'll then letterbox an academy ration film, hacking off the top and bottom. Then they'll take that cropped version and Pan and Scan it for J6P.

Seriously, if it wasn't Citizen Kane, I wouldn't be buying it. I had Wonka, Goonies and Dr. Z all on my "to-buy" list and will pass on all of them, Wonka out of principal and the others because I'm po'ed at Warner.

#5 of 16 Nigel McN

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted August 15 2001 - 02:32 PM

guys, don't joke about widescreen too much, I saw this at the theatres earlier this year and they had matted it to widescreen! The actual title

Citizen
Kane

was cropped at the top and bottom and the screens with text (newspapers and such) were panned up and down. try not to give Warner any ideas!

#6 of 16 Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted August 15 2001 - 03:12 PM

oh, great! now we can look forward to the new 'Deluxe Matted Editions' of:

Citzen Kane
Wizard of OZ
Gone With The WInd
Strangers on a Train (your choice 2.35 or 1.85)

maybe can we trick them into adding:
The Shining
Eyes Wide Shut
Full Metal Jacket..., also...! Posted Image Posted Image

------------------

[Edited last by Mark_TS on August 15, 2001 at 10:14 PM]
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#7 of 16 Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted August 15 2001 - 05:10 PM

Richard Donner could step in and give Warner Bros. sound technicians carte-blanche to throw away the original soundtrack and recreate a new one full of overdone sound fx, then add in a bunch of unnecessary scenes. Oh, sorry, that's how SUPERMAN could go wrong.

------------------

"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

"The feel of the experience is the important thing, not the ability to verbalize it." -Stanley Kubrick

#8 of 16 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted August 15 2001 - 11:11 PM

What could go wrong?

Remember those dropped lines of dialogue in 2001 and OHMSS and others?

Well, they could screw up the dialogue and lose a line. Perhaps
Spoiler:
his final word, Rosebud, could get cut
Posted Image

------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#9 of 16 Cary

Cary

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 08:40 AM

To get serious for a second, there's a long piece in the new Video Store mag about Warner's work on CK (starts on page 11). The article makes clear that this has been a major effort on their part, mentioning 100 different people working on this (part-time I hope) and three years to deliver it. At the same time, it mentions that they had to work with two different film masters, neither of which sounds great, and did extensive digital processing and color-timing to get the final version. My hopes remain high for this release, but my first reaction while reading was that there's an awful lot that could go wrong with all of this. I'm holding out for the first reviews of the DVD.

#10 of 16 Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 09:53 AM

I ordred CK even though I never seen it. I bought it on principle cause its a classic. (And I wanted the War of the Worlds radio broadcast).

In response to a couple earlier posts:

Im pissed at WB for this W/S fiasco but Im still buying the Goonies as Ive been waiting for years for this DVD. I love this movie and im a Donner fan.

Superman wasnt screwed up. Donner redid the sound and added scenes he originally cut. Since Donner supported it so will I.

I wont buy or even watch Cats and Dogs. It looks to be a piece of shit film. I did sign the petiton based on principle and to support W/S on family films.

Boy I cant wait for the chat in OCT.

My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#11 of 16 GaryEA

GaryEA

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 09:57 AM

quote:
Richard Donner could step in and give Warner Bros. sound technicians carte-blanche to throw away the original soundtrack and recreate a new one full of overdone sound fx, then add in a bunch of unnecessary scenes. Oh, sorry, that's how SUPERMAN could go wrong.[/quote]

Damn. You beat me to it Steve.

-g

[Edited last by GaryEA on August 16, 2001 at 04:59 PM]

#12 of 16 Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 11:17 AM

I personally think that our complaints would be taken much more seriously without rants like this.

Yes, Warner dropped the ball on Willy Wonka and Cats and Dogs, but when they do get things right, it's usually terrific.

Let us not forget that Warner has put out some stunning releases in the past and I have every confidence that Citizen Kane and Dr. Zhivago will be among them.

This in no way excuses the travesty of releasing non-OAR only DVDs. In fact, there's a link to a protest petition below...

------------------
Posted Image
"People always clap for the wrong things." - J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here .

Please sign the online petition against Warner Brothers' recent non-OAR releases. Click here .

[Edited last by Rain on August 16, 2001 at 06:17 PM]
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#13 of 16 Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 11:23 AM

I agree with Rain. I have every confidence in this release. I feel it is going to be breath-taking in every way, and the transfer is going to excel past even discs like The Third Man and Grand Illusion.

The extras alone are astounding. I cannot think of ANYTHING already existing that they didn't put on the disc, excepting the complete screenplay.

I can't see anyone getting upset over this - unless Warner use that bizarre 2-disc packaging they used for the remastered JFK and Any Given Sunday. But didn't they say they'd use a different kind of packaging for 2-disc editions from now on (like Fight Club, Se7en, Magnolia, etc.)?

#14 of 16 Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,520 posts

Posted August 17 2001 - 10:54 AM

THE DVD WON'T LOAD

Posted Image

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#15 of 16 Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted August 17 2001 - 11:05 AM

IT'S SQUARE!

#16 of 16 Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted August 17 2001 - 06:14 PM

What could go wrong? The DVD turns out to be a special edition DVD that costs $59.99 and comes with the cane from Citizen Kane.

------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson