What's new

Directors Ten best movies in Hollywood (1 Viewer)

nagesh

Grip
Hi,
I wanted your opinions on the Top Ten movies made (sorry not best) in hollywood. The movies can be anything like edge to seat thriller,romantic, Hororr,Action,or Comedy, but it should be one of the best in it's category.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Well Nagesh there have been a lot of threads started on ‘best’ lists, so you might want to try a search.

For me, I would have a hard time coming up with a 100 best, much less 10. But for your consideration (and all comments are my opinion, of course):

·The Gold Rush—Chaplin’s funniest, if not his best (alternates are City Lights and Modern Times
·Singin’ in the Rain—the best musical ever made in the opinion of many, many critics.
·Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs—the film that changed animation forever.
·Vertigo—Hitchcock’s best, though many perfer Rear Window or North by Northwest.
·Bringing Up Baby—the best screwball not made by Preston Sturges (there are a ton of others).
·The Palm Beach Story—Preston Sturges’ best (though many prefer The Lady Eve or Sullivan’s Travels.
·The Naked Spur—the best Western (though many would vote for The Searchers).
·Some Like It Hot—the best post-screwball comedy.
·Goodfellas—the best gangster movie
·Citizen Kane—many say it is just the best.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit I don't understand the distinction between top 10 and best 10, but I will say that you can click on the link in my sig for my idea of the top 10.

As far as Lew's excellent list, I'll just give you my twist on it. :)

· The Gold Rush—Chaplin’s funniest, and his best, as a matter of fact, the best silent film ever IMO.

· A Hard Day's Night - doesn't often get labeled the best musical (Lew is right that that goes to Singin' in the Rain), but I would put A Hard Day's Night above it (SITR is great but suffers from one unfortunate ballet number at the end)

· Toy Story - Lew is right about the merits of Snow White, but I think this is even better animation, and it's also to computer animation what Snow White was to 2D animation.

· Rear Window—Hitchcock’s best, though Vertigo (and NxNW) are also both great

· What's Up, Doc? — I'm not really sure that I think this is better than Bringing Up Baby, but for me, it's certainly a contender for best screwball comedy not made by Preston Sturges, as is It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

· Sullivan's Travels—Preston Sturges’ best (though as Lew pointed out, the Palm Beach Story is also top notch

· The Magnificent Seven — Westerns are where I'm going to have to disagree with Lew. I actually thinking Blazing Saddles is the best, but since it's a comedy as well as a western, many scoff at calling it a western. Others in the running for best western for me are High Noon, Butch Cassidy, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, and Ford's best western The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

· Dr. Strangelove—the best post-screwball comedy, but just barely over Some Like It Hot.

· The Godfather —the best gangster movie. Goodfellas is also great (and Scorsese's best), but it can't touch The Godfather (imo)

· The Apartment—certainly not the usual choice for overall best (which is as Lew says Citizen Kane, or sometimes Casablanca), but still the best IMO.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Taxi Driver
It's A Wonderful Life
The Maltese Falcon
Sullivan's Travels
Singin' In The Rain
The Crowd
Unforgiven
Rear Window
Sunset Blvd.
A.I. Artificial Intelligence
All That Heaven Allows

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I might well have picked Dr. Strangelove, but I don’t think that it is a Hollywood movie. Same with The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is a good choice and one I might have chosen if I remembered it at that time I was typing.

I certainly love all the films on both the other lists other than Toy Story, which I have not yet seen.

Kudos to Brook for including a Sirk and a film noir.

Put all 30+ (including the alternates) of these films in a hopper and watch them in any order—you will have had a lot of fun and a sound base to judge other films (even if you don’t like some of the films).

Rand

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, only Hollywood films eh? And I also don't understand the distinction between top and best. Well here's another ten anyway, avoiding others number one picks.

Modern Times
Wuthering Heights (Wyler)
The Best Years of Our Lives
The Searchers
Swing Time
The Godfather Part Two
Casablanca
Out of the Past
Cat People (Tourneur)
Night of the Hunter

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
How about a 10 of the Best Not Made in Hollywood...

Seven Samurai
Das Boot
Children of Paradise
Lawrence of Arabia
Grand Illusion
La Dolce Vita
Ran
Raise the Red Lantern
The Bicycle Thief
The Double Life of Veronique

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
2001 A Space Odyssey
Citizen Kane
Apocalypse Now
The Godfather
The Godfather Part 2
Vertigo
Once Upon A Time In America
Dr Strangelove
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
Jaws

I just hate to make great films lists without including Seven Samurai,Ran and The Good The Bad and Ugly

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
D'oh!!!!!!!

Im operating on 3 hours sleep and was too lazy to verify :D

Arman

Screenwriter
This may change any minute :D:

Psycho - Hollywood's greatest horror & thriller
Singin' In The Rain - Hollywood's greatest musical
Finding Nemo - Hollywood's greatest animation
The Magnificent Ambersons - Hollywood's greatest soap opera ever made
Black Hawk Down - Hollywood's greatest war film
Before Sunrise - Hollywood's greatest coming of age/romantic film
Artificial Intelligence: A.I - Hollywood's greatest sci-fi
The Lord of The Rings: The Return of The King - Hollywood's greatest fantasy film
City Lights - Hollywood's greatest silent film
Some Like It Hot /or To Be or Not To Be - Hollywood's funniest and greatest screwball comedy

Special Honorable Mention: Citizen Kane - Hollywood's greatest film.(?)(!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks