Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Sleeping Beauty SE (Disney) --VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#1 of 157 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 03:56 AM

Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#2 of 157 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 04:04 AM

Wow. Awesome review! *claps hands*

I'll be picking this up on release day Posted Image

#3 of 157 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,505 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted September 04 2003 - 04:05 AM

as long as it doesnt have the same video noise problems as beauty and the beast i'll be happy.
facebook.com/whotony

#4 of 157 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 04:07 AM

Tony, noiticed none of the mosquito-type noise we see in B&B.

#5 of 157 OFFLINE   Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 04:08 AM

Excellent review.

It's "Technirama". Go here for more info.

#6 of 157 OFFLINE   Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor

• 740 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 04:12 AM

I haven't seen this in years, but I can't wait to pick it up. Disney is doing a great job with their animation releases.

#7 of 157 OFFLINE   R. Kay

R. Kay

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 04:15 AM

But, did you like it?

Posted Image

#8 of 157 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,983 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 04:17 AM

I took a quick look at Sleeping Beauty, and while the kids will certainly be thrilled with this, I'm seeing an overly digitized and cleaned image, which worked with Snow White, but... What I'm seeing here is a loss of sharpness, which has then been re-sharpened, with halos around areas of high contrast. This also appears to have been produced from a 35mm scope element which has been poorly cropped vertically, as the bottom of the image is missing. Audio is superb as is color, which should be as it is based upon three strip SE photography. I noted one review this morning which noted that the color was stupendous based upon the fact its age and normal color fading. Not exactly.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#9 of 157 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,505 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted September 04 2003 - 04:27 AM

uh,oh.
facebook.com/whotony

#10 of 157 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 04:35 AM

[quote] Tony, noiticed none of the mosquito-type noise we see in B&B. [quote] I definately saw LOTS of compression artifacts on the disc from there being 3 different versions of the film (stored 3 different times) on the same side of the disc.

#11 of 157 OFFLINE   Tommy G

Tommy G

Screenwriter

• 1,235 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 04:51 AM

Well, I was very impressed with Snow White so I will definitely give this one a go. I think this was originally 2.25:1. Is that what Mr. Harris means by it being "cropped" to make it 2.35:1?
Please release The Goodies on Region 1 DVD
My DVDs

#12 of 157 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 04:51 AM

[quote] I took a quick look at Sleeping Beauty, and while the kids will certainly be thrilled with this, I'm seeing an overly digitized and cleaned image, which worked with Snow White, but...

What I'm seeing here is a loss of sharpness, which has then been re-sharpened, with halos around areas of high contrast. [quote]
RAH,

Thanks for your comments! What size screen are you viewing on (or what viewing angle)?

I noticed some *very* minimal halos in a few spots but nothing distracting. But then again I haven't had a chance to critically evaluate the image on a projector...Hopefully I'll get to that soon and see what this picture looks like 100" diagonal. If indeed I find edge enhancement to become distracting I'll be sure and revise my review to reflect it.

BTW, I don't see any loss of sharpness...even up close to the screen, but again I have yet to see it projected. In fact, I see much more *real* detail (like the background textures and such) on the Sleeping Beauty DVD than I saw in the Hello Dolly DVD image (which you praised) so I find your comments very curious.

Any more input you can provide us with the better!

And just to be sure to put this all in perspective for the folks out there...the image on my 34" 16x9 direct-view looked stunning--even when moving up to 2-screen widths away. Without any deeper knowledge of what the 70mm elements looked like I did not notice any excessive vertical cropping. I'm really curious now to get over to my friend's house and compare image (especially framing) and sound of the DVD to the laserdisc! RAH, any thoughts about the previoius LD?

-dave Posted Image

#13 of 157 OFFLINE   Christopher a

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator

• 107 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 05:01 AM

Another fine review, David. I'll post my comments once I pick the disc up.

#14 of 157 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 05:32 AM

I will definitely be adding this to the collection. One of the earliest memories I have of going to the movies is being scared of the dragon in Sleeping Beauty. It must have been the re-release in 1979, making me four years old. I don't think I have seen the movie in its entirety since then and I can't wait to see this in its restored glory.

#15 of 157 ONLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,704 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 05:34 AM

David-
Knowing how particular you have been in other threads and your comments on other DVDs, I have the fullest confidence I will love this DVD.

Thanks for making this DVD an eagerly anticipated one.
Posted Image

Mark

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#16 of 157 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 05:47 AM

I'm looking forward to picking this up. I haven't seen the film since I was very young and remember being scared shitless by the witch. My only concern is the soundtrack. Is the original Mono track included? I always prefer listening to the original track even when the remastering job is a good one. I'm just a purist at heart.

#17 of 157 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 05:59 AM

Hey Eric,

My understanding was that S.B. was originally recorded in stereo sound...does anyone have any good historical knowledge? I need to check those production documentaries on the disc as it's probably disucssed there as well...

BTW, Mike has this to say in his dvdfile review:

[quote] As if Disney relishes in the concept of one-upping themselves, this wondrous new two-disc set features 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen and 4:3 pan & scan transfers that are simply awe-inspiring. (Sure, you gotta go with the widescreen, but the full frame still looks great in terms of sheer visual splendor.) It's hard to believe how few blemishes, dust specks and scratches there are on the source print. Black levels are terrific with none of the typical signs of fading or inconsistencies for a film of this vintage. Color reproduction is very strong, with vibrant and rich colors without any smudging or smearing. Detail is often exquisite and shadow delineation impressive. And there is no edge enhancement to speak of, which makes this video transfer almost flawless.
[quote]
I have no idea what type of system he's reviewing his discs on but he does go out of his way to mention no EE so I'm assuming he can see it with other titles.

Now I *really* have to see this DVD projected!

And rest assured everyone, when I can compare the DVD and LD on the projection screen there will much to add to my review...

dave Posted Image

#18 of 157 OFFLINE   Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 06:17 AM

David, Thanks for another detailed review. I look forward to the updates. And believe it or not, when I saw the dvdfile review this morning, my first thought was "I wonder when David will have his review up. That's the one I want to read." I've said it before, but let me state it again, screen caps would add nothing to this review. It's all there in the text. -Reagan
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#19 of 157 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,732 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 07:03 AM

Can't wait until Tuesday. Posted Image

#20 of 157 OFFLINE   Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 07:35 AM

Posted Image
Original Poster courtesy Wide Screen Musuem

The original Technirama 70mm showings had stereo sound.

Here's some info from Widescreen Museum:

[quote] In 1959, Walt Disney used Technirama in the production of his animated feature Sleeping Beauty. Disney wanted to participate in the 70mm roadshow presentation format used on a number of contemporary films. Using optics developed by Panavision, Inc., Technirama's 35mm horizontal negative was printed in Todd-AO compatible 70mm with six track magnetic stereophonic sound. [quote]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users