Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best Pre/Pro

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 HughScot

HughScot

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 05:53 AM

Yesterday you guys helped with me sub-woofers, now I want to know what you think is the best Pre/Pro if we assume the absolute best is the Theta Casablanca II. I currently have the Denon 4802 and it is excellent in its price class but if you had 10k to 15k or less to spend what would be your choice?

Hugh
Hugh Campbell

#2 of 38 Dalton

Dalton

Screenwriter

• 1,199 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 08:36 AM

Lexicon MC12B
McIntosh MX134
Meridian 861
Krell HTS 7.1
These would be on my shortlist to try if i could afford it.......

#3 of 38 Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 09:13 AM

Quote:
...if we assume the absolute best is the Theta Casablanca II.

That's quite an assumption and I have no doubt there are many people who would disagree with you, some vehemently.

"Best" is a highly subjective term. The "best" possible processor for me may be completely unsuitable for someone else. What was best in one system configuration may not be best if I change amps or speakers. What if one processor is 'best' for HT and another is 'best' for MC music?

Before you can define 'best' you need to define the conditions. And even then it is still completely subjective and what is 'best' will still only be what is 'best' for you. Given the same speakers, amps, source components and source material, 2 different people could easily decide 2 different pre-pro's are 'best' and both would be perfectly correct.

Dan

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin

#4 of 38 HughScot

HughScot

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for the short list and I concur with the Lexicon for sure. Have not heard or read up on the McIntosh.

As to the best being subjective I would disagree with your statement that it is always going to be different depending on the other equipment. A Porsche is better than Buick any day.....period. It is better made, it may not work for you but it is the best of the two. The best made and designed is what I was asking. Sure, the Mark Levinson # 40 at 30k made be the best to someone but not everyone; however, there are four or five mfg. who build the best equipment depending on your needs. Obviously Pioneer, Denon and Yamaha would not be on anyone's short list except based on cost. And I said in the under 15k category.

Hugh
Hugh Campbell

#5 of 38 Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 12:42 PM

I know some will disagree(Lexicon owners) but Meridian is to me the absolute top end of the spectrum. They also have a digital setup for multichannel DVD audio which noone else has.

That and they are infinitely configurable and their support is unreal with the numerous amounts of upgrades they provide. Of course they should for the price that they charge but I think they are worth every dime.

#6 of 38 MikeTz

MikeTz

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 01:52 PM

I agree with Shane, the Meridian is magnificent. But if you're willing to settle for a hair less performance, buy the Krell, Lexicon MC-8, or Classe SSP60. These pre/pros are all great units and cost half to a third of a fully loaded Meridian unit.

#7 of 38 HughScot

HughScot

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 01:58 PM

After a ton of research since you guys have been giving me your opinions I do agree that the Meridian 861 is one cool machine and compares well to the Casablanca. I don't think the Lexicon, while very good, is in their league. But then you have to look at the price of those two compared to the Lexicon MC12B. I'm going to be listening to all three this weekend and I doubt if I will be able to hear the difference or see any diff. And if all three are upgradeable and have everything I'll need then it may come down to price. No, I'm not buying yet but getting closer.

Hugh
Hugh Campbell

#8 of 38 Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 03:07 AM

EAD Theatermaster. We have the Ovation Plus and it is amazing.

#9 of 38 Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 05:41 AM

Quote:
A Porsche is better than Buick any day.....period. It is better made, it may not work for you but it is the best of the two. The best made and designed is what I was asking.

That's "better", not "best". While I agree that no one sane will claim a Buick is better than a Porche, there are quite a few who might claim that at the same price point their BMW, Mercedes-Benz or Ferrari is better. And not a single one of them would be wrong. The same is going to be true for processors. There are a number that meet the price point you selected and yes, it is still entirely possible that several different people will select several different processors, even if everything else is the same.

One thing I am curious about: All the processors listed so far are very, very good, but you're the one who claimed the Casablanca II was "the absolute best". It may not have been your intent, but it reads like you have already decided what the "best" processor is, at least for you. So why don't you buy it? For under $15K you could configure it very nicely and I would certainly agree it would be one of the best processors available at that price point. I'm not trying to pick a fight, I really am curious.

Dan

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin

#10 of 38 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,002 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 06:27 AM

I have owned a McIntosh MX-130 in the past and this unit was sweet. IMHO even though I did like the sound from the Theata I did not feel it was worth the worth it cost wise vs the McIntosh. The Lexicon is a really nice choice as well. I would look into the McIntosh MX-134 as a serious option. There is soom really nice equipment out there in that price range and it depends on what features you want and what you will be using it for. Let us know how everything goes Posted Image
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio

#11 of 38 HughScot

HughScot

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 07:00 AM

I should not have said absolute best as that is a matter of opinion when comparing it with three or four others. I was interested in finding out what the other three or four others might be in someone else's opinion. And now I think I know. The Lexicon with its latest update, just announced, seems to be a very good piece of equipment.

Hugh
Hugh Campbell

#12 of 38 LarrySkelly

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 05:50 PM

Also consider two Canadian entries, the Bryston SP1.7 and and Classe SSP-75. For pure 2-channel performance along with good processor performance they're probably hard to beat.

Larry
Upgrading: 'What if this is as good as it gets?'

#13 of 38 NicholasL

NicholasL

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted September 05 2003 - 10:45 PM

I've never heard the Lex MC12B, but in hometheatermag that unit and the Parasound Halo C1 got almost identical scores. The C1 is $6000, the MC-12B $10,000. Or you could look at the C2, which is sonically identical to the C1, but retails for $4000.

#14 of 38 Curtis_Edwards

Curtis_Edwards

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted November 14 2003 - 07:20 AM

The short list for what he was looking for seems to be the following:

Theta CBII
Meridian 861
McIntosh
Lexicon MC-12B (could be had for less than 10K street price.)

These are all pretty much in the 10K-15K price range.

Under that price range in the 5K-10K I think the short list should be:

Lexicon MC-8B
Meridian G68 (soon to be released)
Brston SP1.7
Krell HTS 7.1
Parasound Halo C1
Anthem Director D1 (soon to be released)

I think the under 10K list can grow pretty long but I think that about sums it up.
-- CUE
"Without Struggle There Is No Progress!!"

#15 of 38 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted November 14 2003 - 09:09 AM

Quote:
They also have a digital setup for multichannel DVD audio which noone else has.
Pioneer, also has a digital interlink.
Or, did you mean, at that price point.
Quote:
I doubt if I will be able to hear the difference
This is just one of the arguments for why 'one' is not the best for everyone.
Let's say you can not, I hope you can, tell the difference in A/V quality between your three choices.
Now, it will come down to looks, build quality, remote, inputs, outputs, etc...
So that's why one of these can not be "The Best", for everyone.
When I was comparing four amp's, I used Stargate.
Now, I know what Joe Sixpack, would use in this movie, the going though the Stargate sequence.
However, I used the sequence of the lead character coming out of the building after his 'walked out on' seminar.
The sound of the rain on the street & sidewalk. The people talking as they exit the building as well. Has 'everyone' heard what they say too each other?
The sound inside the cab.
It's still, tough.
One amp, made the sound of the raindrops more distinct on the hood of the cab.
One amp, made the sound of the exiting people voices more directional.
One amp, made the water droplets sound much more liquid.
And one amp, was the 'best' at reproducing all three 'effects'.
All the best! Posted Image
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#16 of 38 BobRoulier

BobRoulier

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted November 14 2003 - 12:54 PM

The Casablanca 3 will be out shortly with a new motorola chip, new operating system which will increase processing speed and they will finally add all the latest features like pro logic 2x and circle surround 2.

configure this with some extreme dacs and it will give the competition a run for its money. I hope to be aboard that ship when it sailsPosted Image

Bob

#17 of 38 Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted November 14 2003 - 02:21 PM

i have no idea which is the best among these

bel canto
krell
lexicon
theta
meridian
cary
marsh
classe
ead

and some people would say that the analog section of the naim is not rivalved...

but i think meridian, lexicon and theta would be the most upgradeable...

oh, there was one day that a porsche was not better than a buick...the buick GNX owned the 944 for that year...sometimes it does shine on a dog's ass

Rich
B&W DM605S2 x 2 & LCR6S2, Rotel RSX 1055 & RC955, Denon DV 1600, Marantz 4000OSE, Panasonic PT56wx51 (I think, who cares, its a TV)

"Aren't you going to kiss her goodbye?"
"No."

#18 of 38 Jared Neumann

Jared Neumann

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted November 14 2003 - 03:47 PM

I tried many even had the krell hts7.1 is my theater as a demo. It was awsome but for half the price i setteled onthe krell showcase. Im no audiophile so the differences between them was not worth the money for me

i love the krell products

#19 of 38 peter m. wilson

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted November 15 2003 - 02:08 AM

Hi,
Your already on the right track with the Denon. checkout the review of the 5803 as it compares to seperates at audioholics.com and then wait for the 5804.

Peter m.
dyslexia "for a cure found"

#20 of 38 Curtis_Edwards

Curtis_Edwards

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted November 15 2003 - 03:17 AM

The Bel Canto stuff looks promising. Has anyone hear them?

I am a Meridian and Krell fan myself.
-- CUE
"Without Struggle There Is No Progress!!"

Back to Receivers/Separates/Amps

Forum Nav Content I Follow