Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The new 2004 Hyundai Tiburon Hardtop *CONVERTIBLE*!!!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 of 54 OFFLINE   Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor

• 992 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 08:00 PM

I'm a member of a Hyundai Tiburon enthusiasts board (http://www.newtiburon.com), and these pictures were posted there today. Introducing the new 2004 (maybe?) Hyundai Tiburon hardtop convertible!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Fully equipped, with a fully retracteable glass roof!

Posted Image
Posted Image

I purchased a 2003 Tiburon GT (Hardtop) this year, and couldn't be happier with it. This new convertible version of the car looks pretty slick, and I'm anticipating it's release. I have a feeling it's going to be quite popular, if properly priced (which it should be, considering the current pricing standards for the Tiburon Hardtop).

Hyundai is coming into their own now. This ain't your daddy's Pony. Posted Image

Moe.
- Confidence implies the knowledge of one's limitations, while arrogance implies that one does not have any.

- There's no such thing as "normal". The secret is to find someone that's screwed up in a way that seems "normal" to you.

#2 of 54 OFFLINE   NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 08:08 PM

Wow, Hyundai is really kickin it up another notch...

Some retractable hardtops:
Mercedes SL-class... Lexus SC430... HYUNDAI TIBURON... wow, what a list haha...

#3 of 54 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 08:55 PM

does this mean I can't pronounce them as high-un-die-eh anymore?

#4 of 54 OFFLINE   David Preston

David Preston

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 09:26 PM

I like that maybe they will supercharge or turbo it.

#5 of 54 OFFLINE   Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 12:45 AM

Note to public:

Your Tiberon is not a racecar; Nor will it ever be...

I'm tired of seeing these Erector set tail fins on the trunks of these things.Posted Image

#6 of 54 OFFLINE   Brandon_T

Brandon_T

Screenwriter

• 1,900 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 01:07 AM

Oh Boy, Open can, release worms.

#7 of 54 OFFLINE   Dave Smith

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 01:44 AM

That looks pretty good actually. A friend in England had the retractable-hardtop version of the Honda Civic CRX (aka the del Sol over here). The problem with cheap retractable hardtops is that they go wrong... a lot. They're great when they're working, but I wouldn't own that car without a full warranty.

#8 of 54 OFFLINE   Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 02:00 AM

Wow that is a sharp car.... Hyundai is really coming around. I just purchased a 2004 Hyundai Sonata LX V6. The car is really quiet inside without a single rattle. It rides great and handling is not bad. It also has a level of isolation only found in a Lexus. When I was waiting for my car to be prepped I test drove a Tiburon GT with the V6 and 6-Speed manual. It was not ultra quick but it could hold its own. Its real strength was how the car handled. No problem pulling serious G-forces in this car. Like my Sonata fit and finish was first rate. I suggest for anyone in the market for a new car take a look at Hyundai's line up. I think you will be surprised.

#9 of 54 OFFLINE   David Susilo

David Susilo

Screenwriter

• 1,199 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 02:03 AM

Nice looking car, but when its 3L V6 version got smoked all the time by a 1.8L Turbo, it's a joke of a "sports" car. One day I might buy the regular I4 version, although I don't know whether I want to drive THAT slow.

#10 of 54 OFFLINE   Will Pomeroy

Will Pomeroy

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 03:00 AM

I learned to drive in an '86 pony. It had 72 hp, reardrive, and "speed blocks" holding the front seats from falling through the rusted out holes in the floor. I think hyundai has come a long way, they are some really nice looking cars. Hopefully they will be able to overcome their past reputaion!
The more expensive and bigger, the better. The investment will shield you from realistic evaluation of any design shortcommings.

#11 of 54 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,678 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted September 03 2003 - 03:09 AM

Have you seen how much a Lexus SC430 weighs? It weighs something like 3800lbs which is about 500lbs more than my E36 328i 4-door sedan. Sorry, I'll take a softop anyday for the less complexity and much less weight penalty. My MR2 Spyder is a simple manual roof that I can open and close from inside the car and the car only weights 2200lbs. I guess the neet-o factor will sell cars, but personally, it's only new once. And if anybody says that it'll be better in winter with the hardtop.. You can get a hardtop for many roadsters (Miata, MR2) anyway for winter though it's not like I'll be out driving in that much snow anyway. Having said that, the Tiburon looks fairly nice, I don't like the headlights or the taillights though, they look cheap. Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#12 of 54 OFFLINE   NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 04:59 AM

Is it just me, or is there an extra lump on the rear of the tiburon in the last two pictures?

#13 of 54 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 06:11 AM

[quote] Nice looking car, but when its 3L V6 version got smoked all the time by a 1.8L Turbo, it's a joke of a "sports" car.
[quote]
I smoked many-a-V6 in my 2.0L turbo.

#14 of 54 OFFLINE   David Susilo

David Susilo

Screenwriter

• 1,199 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 06:16 AM

[quote] I smoked many-a-V6 in my 2.0L turbo [quote]

Turbo... 'tis a beautiful thing. (and with AC on and downtown traffic, I still get 600 km per 55 litre tank)

Posted Image

#15 of 54 OFFLINE   Jason_H

Jason_H

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 07:29 AM

[quote] I smoked many-a-V6 in my 2.0L turbo. [quote]

Hell, I can edge out some V8s with my piddly little naturally-aspirated 2.0L. Love my Honda S2000! Engine is only a piece of the equation, weight and chasis is another large part!!!

#16 of 54 OFFLINE   David Susilo

David Susilo

Screenwriter

• 1,199 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 07:49 AM

[quote] Engine is only a piece of the equation, weight and chasis is another large part!!! [quote]

don't forget the driver too.

most people THINK they can drive. Posted Image

#17 of 54 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 08:30 AM

That's phat! Don't care much for the wheels though. Too Volvo-ish.

#18 of 54 OFFLINE   Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor

• 992 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 08:52 AM

[quote] Nice looking car, but when its 3L V6 version got smoked all the time by a 1.8L Turbo, it's a joke of a "sports" car.

One day I might buy the regular I4 version, although I don't know whether I want to drive THAT slow. [quote]
2.7L V6 GT version has 170 horses. The I4 is a 2.0L 140 HP machine.

What does the GT in is the weight - it's a heavy car... but it's definately not what I'd call "slow". I've seen it take the Celica, RSX, and Civic SiR. Sure, a Turbo will beat a GT, but that's 'cause it's a turbo.

Keep in mind... the Tiburon GT comes fully loaded, and costs much less than most of it's competition. I picked up my black GT with Leather, Heated Seats, Air, ABS, Power everything, Sunroof, 17" rims with Pilot Sport tires, Foglights, Spoiler, Infinity 6 Speaker Soundsystem, etc. for less than $29,000 Canadian (that's "on the road", after the 15% taxes, PDI, freight, etc). For you guys in the U.S., that would be about $17,000 (give or take). There's also optional 6-Speed and Traction Control Systems to be had.

For that price, I'm not that concerned that it's not the fastest car on the road. I'm very happy with the car I bought, and I can't wait to see the convertible on the road! Posted Image

Moe.
- Confidence implies the knowledge of one's limitations, while arrogance implies that one does not have any.

- There's no such thing as "normal". The secret is to find someone that's screwed up in a way that seems "normal" to you.

#19 of 54 OFFLINE   Drue Elrick

Drue Elrick

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 09:05 AM

Wow. Looks very sharp - I'm interested. Now, if only the hardtop is reliable...

#20 of 54 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 10:02 AM

[quote] Turbo... 'tis a beautiful thing. (and with AC on and downtown traffic, I still get 600 km per 55 litre tank)
[quote]
Jeeze, lucky you. I averaged 17MPG in my WRX. Might have been the driver though Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users