What's new

Digital/regular TV, Comp or S? LARGE or SMALL for floor stands? Can't get surround... (1 Viewer)

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
A few qestions:

1.When watching regular TV from my digital box, should i watch it on my component video cables or my S-video?

I watch my HD channels with my component video, but i was told when watching regular TV that the S-video looks better then the component....any thoughts?

2. When i watch my HDTV i only get sound out of 2 speakers...not 5 of them. How do i change that? I've tried everything.
I use a digital Coaxial from my HD box to receiver. When i put the receiver to COAXIAL, the sound from the 2 front speakers is BOOMING compared to if its set to ANALOG, but i can only get BOOMING sound from 2 speakers.
My set-up is listed below.

3. I have two floor stand JBL N38's with a Velodyne 10" sub and a Kardon 325 receiver.
I'm just starting to get everything set-up so i'm sure i will lots of questions over the next few days.

Do i set the two floor standing N38's to LARGE or SMALL?
I put them on LARGE and it didn't seem like much bass came out of my Velodyne.
When i put them to SMALL, a lot more bass came out of the Velodyne.
What do am i suppose to do here?

Thanks all in advance!

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
1) S-video is fine, I don't think you'll see any major difference between Component vs S-Video.

2) The only time you will get sound from all 5 speakers during an HD program is if that program has a DD5.1 soundtrack, and not all HD programs do. The other way to get sound from all of your speakers is to use one of the various DPL modes from your reveiver (ie: Cimema, Stadium, Concert Hall, etc.)

3) First and formost, get yourself a Radio Shack Sound Pressure Level Meter and a calibration disk. "Sound & Visions Magazines Home Theater Tune-Up" is made by ovation, the same company that makes the highly recommended Avia disk. Proper calibration of the ouput for each speaker will make a tremendous difference in your listening enjoyment. Here's a link for ya:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=1 I got mine at MediaPlay for about $15.

Set your speakers to "Small" and set your receiver's crossover to 80hz., then calibrate your system. I think you'll be surprised at how much better it perfroms.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"but i was told when watching regular TV that the S-video looks better then the component....any thoughts?"

Yep, in some TVs the comb filter is better than in the converter box.

Try both and you judge.

Brent

Paul E

Auditioning
Hooray,

I got my HT set-up this week-end. Thanks for all the help!
Dvd's sound and look great with component video. I am wondering though, I too only get 2 channel sound when watching Direct Tv Movies. I thought Black Hawk Down would be a good test. Do I need a satellite receiver that has an optical audio connection? Mine only has RCA. Will that allow me to get 5 channel sound? I tried all the different DSP modes, and it seems like the best surround sound came using "6 channel stereo"?

Paul :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks