Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Anyone Get Three O'Clock High?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Ric Bagoly

Ric Bagoly

Producer

• 3,994 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 02:49 PM

Went to Best Buy today to get this and of course they had like 50 copies of fucking Sixteen Candles but I couldn't find what I wanted! I asked the clerk and she said they had one in stock but of course it wasn't where it was supposed to be in the comedy section!! After scouring the shelves for an hour I just gave up and left. Anyone have this problem? If not, how's the picture and sound quality??

What I really don't understand how they could have tons of Candles and Breakfast Club and Weird Science but not this?? I am really getting sick of these stores...Posted Image
"You can't be the first, and you'll never be the last, but baby, you can ALL be next! Woooooooo!!!"

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 02:54 PM

I didn't even bother to look when I went into Circuit City today. It is a catalogue title so most retail stores probably don't have it yet. It didn't have the promotion that the John Hughes films did so I'd be surprised if they carried it.

I ordered it on Amazon and should have it in a couple days (still hasn't shipped).

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 04:20 PM

The store I went to also had a glut of Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, and Weird Science...only 1 copy of Three O'Clock High....I'm waiting for a/v reviews before I decide if I should pick this up especially since movies such as those mentioned above seem so dated to me.

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,613 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 06:21 PM

There were about a dozen copies of it at my BB. Of course there were four times as many copies of Breakfast Club, etc, but why not? Other than on here I don't think I've ever met anyone who had heard of 3 o'clock High. It was no where near as popular as BC or 16 Candles.

-paul

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Romier S

Romier S

Producer

• 3,533 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 06:45 PM

Got mine. One of my favs from the 80's. Will be spinning it up later tonight. If someone already hasn't I'll throw some impressions up.

#6 of 15 ONLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,346 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted September 03 2003 - 02:14 PM

I Just finished watching Three O' Clock High.

The transfer is good, not great. A few specks here and there but overall a nice anamorphic transfer.

The sound is DD 2.0 surround, although I really didn't notice much, if any, surround activity. Dialog is clear and not distorted. Sounds fine.

No extras, not even a trailer.

The film itself however is entertaining as it ever was and holds up nicely.

Recommended.Posted Image

P.S. Sorry Romier, you snooze, you lose.Posted Image
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   josh4040

josh4040

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 06:07 PM

The movie looks great, I got the only copy at Best Buy, I would reccomend going to Tower Records they usually carry all the hard to find new releases. The sweetest part of getting this gem was I sold my vhs of this for more then 20 bux on ebay! Posted Image

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Chuck West

Chuck West

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 09:45 AM

I have a question regarding the film's audio on the DVD.
It's at the 1:09:22 mark, when Jerry confronts Buddy in the gym. Buddy turns around, and says something to Jerry, but his lips don't match what he said. Even the voice seems a little different.
Anyone know about this?

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit

• 423 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 10:18 AM

Got mine fron dvdplanet.com
Have had time to view it yet.
Love the movie though!

MY DVD'S

May the Force be with you

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 11:01 AM

There were 3 copies of it at the Best Buy I bought mine from. Suncoast had 4-5 copies, but they were 19.95. FYE didn't have any, which is odd because they've been pretty good about catalog titles lately.

This was just as good as I remembered, so I'd recommend it to anyone who'd been thinking of picking it up.

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Romier S

Romier S

Producer

• 3,533 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 11:25 AM

Quote:
P.S. Sorry Romier, you snooze, you lose

Bah, you can have it TinoPosted Image

The picture quality is nice enough as is the sound but above all else its really fantastic to see this old classic alive and well on DVD. I loved this movie when I was younger and suprisingly it holds up really well even today.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 12:11 PM

great movie holds up well.

my bets buy had tons of sixteen canldes etc and the guy had to GO IN THE BACKROOM to get 3 o clock high on the shelves. gimme a break!
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Mark_Paul

Mark_Paul

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 12:17 PM

Quote:
Buddy turns around, and says something to Jerry, but his lips don't match what he said. Even the voice seems a little different.

I remember this from my old VHS. It was probably altered in post production. I find this annoying too. The worst movie for this is John Badham's 'The Hard Way'.

By the way, look out for Yeardley 'Lisa Simpson' Smith in this movie.

I'll be getting my copy soon.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Ric Bagoly

Ric Bagoly

Producer

• 3,994 posts

Posted September 06 2003 - 03:02 PM

Quote:
look out for Yeardley 'Lisa Simpson' Smith in this movie.

"I'm tellin ya, this guy is supposed to be a total psycho!"

Got my copy finally and watched it. Picture quality is slightly below average, with definite EE, and the 2.0 sounded a little tinny to my ears, but WHAT THE HELL, it was Three O'Clock High on DVD! Posted Image Posted Image
"You can't be the first, and you'll never be the last, but baby, you can ALL be next! Woooooooo!!!"

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Joseph Young

Joseph Young

Screenwriter

• 1,355 posts

Posted September 10 2003 - 07:38 AM

Movie holds up surprisingly well. Looking for a favor though... I'm working on a 'project' and could really use some good screencaps of the major characters... namely Buddy, Jerry, Fran (the spooky girl), and the security guy played by Mitch Pileggi, but anyone will do. If anyone could help with this it would be greatly appreciated. This movie has virtually zero presense online, screencaps-wise.

Forum Nav Content I Follow