What's new

2003-2004 NFL Season (Playoffs and coaching moves) (1 Viewer)

Tim Abbott

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim
I can't believe there isn't a 2004 NFL thread around....I did a search but perhaps I missed it.

I am in denial regarding the Patriots and Lawyer Milloy right now. Holy cow!!!! I think everyone around here knew that his contract (along with Ty Law) was going to get crazy soon, but I find it hard to believe they couldn't work something out. He had evolved into the heart and soul of the defense, and to cut him at this point is very interesting.

It is intriguing to me because I don't think there has been a noticeable drop-off in his skills. Sure the Pats will save a ton of money, but this unit (as is) had a chance to propel the team back to the Superbowl. They must have seen something in the pre-season in some of the others in the secondary that make them think they can handle it.

I guess my point in this rambling piece is why cut him now?? Why not at the beginning of camp in order to minimize the chemistry disruption, or bite the bullet and cut him after the year?? Maybe someone has some insight into this.

Go Pats!!

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I just hope the Chiefs sign him but it looks like the Bills have the inside track. I understand why they did it but I don't think the timing was right at all. Personally I wouldn't put it past Belichek to do this just so Milloy would not have enough time to gel with his new teammates and therefore would not be as much of a threat this year on the competition's team.

My predictions real fast:
AFC:
West: Chiefs
North: Browns
South: Colts
East: Patriots
Wild card: Steelers and Dolphins

NFC:
West: Rams
North: Packers
South: Bucs
East: Eagles
Wildcards: Saints and 49ers

Superbowl: Eagles over Dolphins

GO CHIEFS!!! and pay Priest for crying out loud.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Time to move from a last place finish by the Rangers to (at best) a non-last place finish by the Cowboys.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The only thing that may keep the Lions out of last place in the NFC North is Chicago -- the Bears may actually be worse than Detroit. Green Bay should win the division by default.

In Detroit, we will actually be happy with a 6-10 season after winning only five games over the past two seasons combined. The Lions lost James Stewart for the season, but made a good deal in picking up Olandis Gary to replace him. Neither is a great back, but Gary is comparable to Stewart in talent.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Scott - I have a feeling about the Lions (or I I am most likely completely wrong). I don't know...there's one team every year that comes out of the blue. Maybe Mooch can work some magic up there. They seem to be able to score so that's half the battle...

Anyway, here's hoping what seems like an eternal curse comes to an end with an Eagles Superbowl victory.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I thought Scott was mistaken about the length of Stew's absence, but just heard the IR announcement on the radio this evening. That makes the Gary trade all the better. I hope Pinner can play some this year.

This is not the year for my Lions to come out of nowhere. If they can win 7 this year, maybe they can come out of nowhere next year.

I'll predict this year is the year for the Dolphins NOT to fade and take a win over the Eagles in the big one.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I like the eagles and would not mind at all to see them win a superbowl. I think the Seahawks could surprise a few people this year. There offense is top 10 in the league and who knows what Shaun Alexander will do if he makes the playoffs. If the defense/offensive line can play through the injuries and suspensions I think our defense is going to keep getting better(not hard after last year) and could take us to a first round victory in the playoffs.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
I think the Patriots have a good shot to win another title. The defense is possibly the best in the league with Milloy, like Junior Seau in San Diego having nothing really left so they booted him. And what's with the lack of respect for Tom Brady?? He had a GREAT sophomore year with 28 TD passes (leading the league), but didn't go to The Pro Bowl and didn't even make ESPN's Top 10 Fantasy QBs! Brady is a man to watch this year, and with Kevin Faulk and Antowain Smith splitting the running duties, along with Brown, Patten, and Daniel Graham, as well as a great offensive line anchored by Joe Andruzzi, they may very well be the most well-rounded team in the league...

Gonna do good this year--

San Diego Chargers

Cleveland Browns

Buffalo Bills

Kansas City Chiefs

Tennessee Titans

New York Giants

Green Bay Packers

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Philadelphia Eagles

Atlanta Falcons

Seattle Seahawks

Gonna Get Their Ass Kicked--

New York Jets

Miami Dolphins

Denver Broncos

Oakland Raiders

Baltimore Ravens

Cinncinati Bengals-as usual

Arizona Cardinals

Washington Redskins

Chicago Bears

Minnesota Vikings-BIG TIME

Detroit Lions

San Francisco 49ers

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

That's a brilliant hypothesis, it makes perfect sense but never would have crossed my mind.

I heard about the Pats cutting this guy's contract because he wasn't willing to restructure it, what does that mean when it comes to dollars and cents? Did the team want him to take less money per year spread out over more time so he would count less against the cap? If so I can't blame him for turning them down.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Picking two Super Bowl teams this year is very difficult. In the NFC, the Bucs, Eagles, Rams, Niners, Packers and Giants are all legitimate contenders. In the AFC, the Pats, Dolphins, Bills, Titans, Raiders, Chiefs, Broncos and Steelers all have a chance. It should be an interesting year.

Scott - I have a feeling about the Lions (or I I am most likely completely wrong). I don't know...there's one team every year that comes out of the blue. Maybe Mooch can work some magic up there. They seem to be able to score so that's half the battle...
Patrick, I think the Lions are at least a year away from being a surprise team. This team was very bad, and it will take Mooch more than one offseason to turn them into a contender. They have some young building blocks, but there are still a lot of holes at RB, WR, and defensive backfield. Also, their young QB is still learning how to play in the NFL, and #1 draft pick Charles Rogers will take some time to learn, too (rookie receivers rarely do well in the NFL). A seven-win season would be a tremendous accomplishment this year.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Patrick, I think the Lions are at least a year away from being a surprise team. This team was very bad, and it will take Mooch more than one offseason to turn them into a contender. They have some young building blocks, but there are still a lot of holes at RB, WR, and defensive backfield. Also, their young QB is still learning how to play in the NFL, and #1 draft pick Charles Rogers will take some time to learn, too (rookie receivers rarely do well in the NFL). A seven-win season would be a tremendous accomplishment this year.
Have faith. Remember the Rams! Also, the Eagles went from 5-11 to 11-5 from 99 to 00 and won a playoff game. It can happen. Also, I recall the Eagles having a young QB at the time too. Harrington looks good and Rogers can only make him better.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I expect the Dolphins to do well...their defense should have one or two great years before becoming above average.

The Bucs are still a REAL threat, unless most 2nd runners. Their defense is in place, WITH more experience.

The 49ers needed Mooch more than he needed them. I expect a .500 season and lots of finger pointing.

Detroit and Cincy will be better. Not a lot better, but better. Good coaching makes a difference.

Dallas MIGHT hit 6-10, an improvement. They will get better, but not this year.

Until the Colts can beat the Titans, they are not a threat.

Until the Falcs can beat the Bucs, neither are they. By the way, they might do better WITHOUT Vick against the Bucs. His game relies on the defense fearing the run, and being too slow to counteract it. The Bucs ate him alive last year...and made it look easy.

McNabb, Vick, who??? Steve McNair should have another MVP year this year, in the same smaller market and with less help. I expect the Titans to do very well. Talent might prevent a ring, but only just.

Can't wait.

For the Redskins, LC should be a big deal, but the ball coach is going to hurt that defense in the near future.

More every week :D

Take care,
Chuck

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Have faith. Remember the Rams! Also, the Eagles went from 5-11 to 11-5 from 99 to 00 and won a playoff game. It can happen. Also, I recall the Eagles having a young QB at the time too. Harrington looks good and Rogers can only make him better.
This is all true, Patrick. However, remember that Detroit is 5-27 (0-16 on the road) over the past two seasons. Also, while they have made some improvements and added young talent, they still have huge holes at RB, WR and the defensive backfield. While Rogers looks like a good prospect at WR, rarely do rookie receivers produce consistently -- it takes time for them to learn coverages in the NFL. The rest of the receivers are mediocre.

I think the Lions are finally headed in the right direction. It's just going to take more than a single offseason to repair the damage done by the last two coaches.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks