Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Will There Ever Be "Tales of the Gold Monkey" on DVD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Jonny P

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 07:33 AM

I loved this early 80s TV show starring Stephen Collins and Roddy McDowell (for those not familiar, it was ABCs Wednesday Night attempt at "Indiana Jones")...

Any word on if we'll ever get a DVD set with the entire run of the show?

#2 of 9 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 08:33 AM

I know a few people who'd be interested in it.

The question would be if you could get the studio interested in puting out a DVD of an obscure TV series.

Jason

#3 of 9 Rodney

Rodney

Supporting Actor

• 518 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 01:12 PM

Yeah! Having that and Voyagers on DVD would be cool!
-Rodney

#4 of 9 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,384 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 03:08 PM

Yes it would be cool to have those. No word, though.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#5 of 9 Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,678 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 03:52 PM

Oh my god, I loved that show! "Corky's been shanghaied."

For a knockoff, it was pretty damned entertaining. I'd totally be interested in a DVD release....Posted Image

#6 of 9 Nick Laslett

Nick Laslett

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 09:45 PM

In the UK "Tales of the Golden Monkey" was launched with quite a fanfare by the BBC. It had a primetime slot and was given a lot of coverage.

As a 12 year old, I was an avid fan and caught every episode. When the series disappeared, never to return, it was quite a mystery to me. At the time I didn't understand that the show came from the US and that if it was not a success there, it would not get continued.

I believe it was a success in the UK, it's a shame it flopped in the US. In my memory I thought it was a great show, as good as the A-Team and Magnum which were both on our TV screens at about the same time.

#7 of 9 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,384 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 10:06 PM

I think one of the things about the show was that the network was counting on the "star power" of Stephen Collins in the main role of Jake Cutter to at least pull in all the Trekkies, who of course would loyally watch Star Trek: The Motion Picture's "Captain Will Decker" each and every week.

The fact is that the character of Decker kind of fell flat among Trek fans, and so his precense alone wasn't good enough to get them to try the show. In fact, for some of my Trek buddies his precense was a turn-off. "Decker was bland, so he'll be bland in this show too" is the way I interpreted the thought process.

The "Indy-inspired show that ought to pull in Trekkies" just didn't cut the numbers they expected right off the bat, so they didn't give the show time to work itself out. Before the 1-season commitment was fulfilled, it seems the network had already decided not to renew it. So 22 hours were all we got, and the shows got worse as the staff apparently knew that the axe was falling and seemed to go at it more half-heartedly.

Ah, well...That's Hollywood!
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#8 of 9 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 10:19 PM

I remember watching this as well. I would love to get this on dvd as well.

here's hoping

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#9 of 9 Zane Charron

Zane Charron

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 05:18 AM

Check out that site. Pretty comprehensive. Obviously those aren't official DVDs and are probably pretty bad copies, not too mention illegal. How do they sell them on E-bay?

http://www.goldmonkey.com/