Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Time Bandits 2-disc SE in 2004

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 of 84 OFFLINE   Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

• 1,711 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 03:59 AM

From Anchor Bay's website:
Doesn't mention if it will contain the Criterion commentary or not.

#2 of 84 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 04:13 AM

[quote] Doesn't mention if it will contain the Criterion commentary or not. [quote]

I hope it does. The specs given in that blurb seem rather skimpy for a 2-disc SE. And it's not like it's without precedent; Criterion licensed their Halloween track to AB.

#3 of 84 OFFLINE   Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur

Second Unit

• 437 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 05:21 AM

All Right!!! I have been waiting to get this but wanted an anamorphic version. I can't wait.

#4 of 84 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 05:39 AM

ANYTHING is better than the piece of $##!&%# 4x3 lbx transfer on both the anchor bay and criterion DVD we have now!!!!

Good news Posted ImagePosted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#5 of 84 OFFLINE   Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony

Producer

• 3,218 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 05:44 AM

What's up with Criterion licensing out their old commentaries? I thought for sure I'd read somewhere that Criterion simply DOES NOT license out those old commentaries for anything. But the Halloween release (that I didn't buy, I still have that 2 disc limited edition) has a criterion commentary, chances are this might have it--is Criterion hurting for money or something, to the point where they're now selling off their commentaries? On the one hand, I'm happy, because I'd love to get a Raging Bull SE with that Criterion commentary on it, or any number of commentaries that are buried on LD that might not see DVD light of day otherwise, but on the other hand I'm worried that Criterion might be licensing these commentaries out because they're hurting for cash.

#6 of 84 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 05:52 AM

I've loved this movie ever since I saw it in the theater when it first came out but I'm still not sure I'd want to double dip. I have the Anchor Bay version and I'd have to really see what this 2 discer has(reviews and such) before I get it.

#7 of 84 OFFLINE   Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

• 1,303 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 05:57 AM

I'll buy it for the anamorphic transfer alone. I'm glad I've been holding out for this one.
DVD Collection | Video Game Collection | Live Gamertag: vicodinjunkie

#8 of 84 OFFLINE   Beast

Beast

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 05:59 AM

They've been licensing them lately, in exchange for film release rights for several titles from those particular companies. Atleast that's what happened in the case of the Commentary for the 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' 2-disc set. Posted Image
R.I.P. Master Splinter - Mirage Comics - May 1984 / June 2003

#9 of 84 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 06:08 AM

I hope AB has indeed managed to get the track from Criterion. I've held out and haven't bought Criterion's non-anamorphic disc, and this 2-disc SE I'll HAVE to buy, because Gilliam is one of my favorite directors. Need that commentary though!

#10 of 84 OFFLINE   Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 06:13 AM

This is great news !Posted Image
Master Poe: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Caine: I hear the water. I hear the birds.
Master Poe: Do you hear your own heart beat.
Caine: No.
Master Poe: Do you hear the grasshopper, which is at your feet.Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?Master Poe: Young man, how is it...

#11 of 84 OFFLINE   Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 06:17 AM

Criterion already licensed their commentary of Time Bandits to Anchor Bay UK BTW.
E-Mail | Collection

#12 of 84 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 07:40 AM

But it's not like the Criterion Time Bandits is OOP or anything. The Criterion LD for Halloween was the only place you could find the Carpenter commentary until the recent Anchor Bay "DiviMax" DVD, but you can find Time Bandits rather readily anywhere.

#13 of 84 OFFLINE   Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 08:02 AM

[quote] I'll buy it for the anamorphic transfer alone. I'm glad I've been holding out for this one. [quote] I've been holding out as well. I'll be first in line for this one!

#14 of 84 OFFLINE   ShaunS

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 08:23 AM

While I've never seen the film, I am a pretty big fan of Gilliam. Criterion's Brazil is one of the greatest sets ever produced (right up there with LOTR EE). His commentaries are always just as entertaining as his movies. I just picked up the CC version of Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas and was never a big fan of the film until I heard Gilliam's commentary on it. He has this infectious laugh that always cracks me up. I would pick it up only if it has a commentary.

Shaun

#15 of 84 OFFLINE   Magnus T

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 08:33 AM

Great news indeed. Now bring on an anamorphic version of Brazil as well! Posted Image
There is no spoon...
but there is a fork with a cork!

#16 of 84 OFFLINE   Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 09:57 AM

[quote] He has this infectious laugh that always cracks me up. [quote] Yes, he does. Gilliam has fascinated me for quite some time. On one hand, he's somewhat of an obsessive control freak. (Watch "The Hamster Factor" for evidence.) However, he also has such a lighthearted humerous attitude towards his many misfortunes (see "Lost in La Mancha") that you can't help but admire the guy. He's brilliant.

#17 of 84 OFFLINE   Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor

• 986 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 12:19 PM

[quote] piece of $##!&%# 4x3 lbx transfer [quote]

i don't think the transfer is to blame, i believe it's the source element. without a full restoration (or a better source), i don't think it would be any better. i'm not refering to any differences btwn lbx and anamorphic, just the crappy source that the current releases use.

#18 of 84 OFFLINE   Estevan Lapena

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 03:33 PM

One of the funniest commentaries EVER with Hunter S. Thompson. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I too have held out long enough because I couldn't justify getting a non-anamorphic version of Time Bandits for 70 Bucks CAD. CANT WAIT! Hopefully Anchor Bay won’t mess this one up!

#19 of 84 OFFLINE   Thomas Agermose

Thomas Agermose

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 08:12 PM

Anchor Bay UK released it with the criterion commentary, 16x9 transfer and some additional extras. Hopefully the new 2 disk set will have all that plus the new doc.

#20 of 84 OFFLINE   Jerome

Jerome

Second Unit

• 302 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 09:05 PM

[quote] and a 60 minute Terry Gilliam career retrospective featuring interviews with the many actors from this director's eclectic years as a filmmaker. [quote]

Sounds like the Inclusion of The Directors : Terry Gilliam Documentary, to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users