-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Advanced Anime Discussion Part V

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1012 replies to this topic

#1 of 1013 Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 02:52 PM

Welcome to Advanced Anime Discussion Part V!

If you are new to anime, and want to know where to start out or what to watch, then check out our sister thread, Novice Anime Discussion Part I!

Need some recommendations on what to watch from the knowledgeable otakus of HTF? Then check out The Official HTF Anime Recommendations List!

And now without further ado, I am proud to present...AAD: PART V!

Continue on with the discussion from Part IV!

HAHAH! I BEAT YOU, ROB! I broke the rules, but I still win! Posted Image
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#2 of 1013 Woo Jae

Woo Jae

Screenwriter

• 1,143 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 02:54 PM

LOL!

No need to take a dig at Rob, the poor soul has had no internet access for a few days, and seesm raring to go

That said, I have finished Kimagure Orange Road TV and it is a very well written and done series focusing on JHS life and romance. Highly recommended for those looking for an older series. Subbed only, though.
"Me? Master Ramen Chef? Nahhhh....."
I am Korean/Therefore I rule~

Anime: 628 DVDs Total: 1168 DVDs
Boxed sets,if collected as such, count only ONCEhttp://www.intervoca...on.aspx/WoosterManga: total count 401 volumes Series Completed: 21 Collecting: 32

#3 of 1013 Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 02:55 PM

Heh... it's fine Tony. It really didn't bother me as much as you think Posted Image

Next time I get to start it though Posted Image

#4 of 1013 Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 02:58 PM

Quote:
Next time I get to start it though
Hmph! We'll see about that! Posted Image

#5 of 1013 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 04:15 PM

Continuing from the previous thread:

Someone asked about Reign. I just have the first DVD, and I can't say it got me too excited to see more. Not that I think what I saw was all that bad, but I think there are more compelling series to collect right now. I actually kinda like Chung's style, but this didn't blow me away.

On Haibane Renmei, it is interesting so far. The Ghibli heads might like it more than others, since there is a sense of wonder in it so far. We'll see where it goes from here. I've heard that there is still plenty of mystery left at the end...

Jason

#6 of 1013 DaveGTP

DaveGTP

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 07:24 AM

My fiancee, ahem, *cough* previewed Haibane and really liked it (I watched the 1st ep with her, seemed OK). We would have it right now, but for some problems with her order from Rightstuf. She's gonna make me watch it the day it comes in, I'm sure.
Matheson- "There are probably some who'll say that by doing this, we are interfering with their culture."

Gideon - "Probably. Screw them."
-Crusade, Visitors from Down the Street

#7 of 1013 James_Kiang

James_Kiang

Screenwriter

• 1,169 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 08:56 AM

Today I'll be picking up the first volume of Ninja Scroll (TV series) from Best Buy. S-Cry-Ed volume 2 also comes out but I'll probably have to wait til Friday on that one.

Did watch the first couple of episodes of Chobits. Very entertaining, though my wife would see it as the epitomy of all the negative things she thinks of anime - and it doesn't even show/do anything (yet, at least) Posted Image.

#8 of 1013 Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 09:11 AM

Reign isn't that expensive so I might give it a shot anyways. $40 for the box doesn't seem to bad.

I have so much stuff I have to watch it will be a long while before I get around to it. I pick up stuff as I go.Posted Image

#9 of 1013 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,127 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 09:19 AM

RahXephon vol. 5 in 1 week! Woohoo!

#10 of 1013 earl_roberts

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 09:28 AM

Hey everyone! Kinda been on the fence with anime for a while, I love it and everything but I'm a jobless student who can't afford any Posted Image
But it was my birthday last week which means I've FINALLY watched through Evangelion and tomorrow comes the final disc of Cowboy Bebop! Does this make me advanced? I hope so! I really gotta scrounge up some dough quick though, that His And Hers Circumstances box is calling!!!
Um, haven't really got anything to say except hello. Oh and FLCL is the greatest thing ever Posted Image

#11 of 1013 Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 09:43 AM

Self-Destructive Pattern in 1 week! Woohoo! Posted Image

Heh! Less money for anime! Oh well, Spineshank is so much better than anime... Posted Image

Don't worry, I'll still get plenty of anime this year... Posted Image

Hey Earl! Welcome to my world™ That is freaky! You are just like me right now!

1. You have been on the fence with anime for a while.
2. You love it and everything.
3. You are a jobless student who can't afford any.
4. Your birthday was last week.

Wow, Earl is basically a carbon copy of me when it comes to anime. Or am I a carbon copy of him?

#12 of 1013 earl_roberts

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 10:01 AM

You're a carbon copy of me Posted Image
That is really kinda crazy though!

#13 of 1013 Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 10:10 AM

Yeah, I am a carbon copy of you, because you were born two years earlier. But who is the better person? Me, obviously! Posted Image

#14 of 1013 Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 11:21 AM

I like Rob's new sig pic. A fields with gold with pretty girls. lol Posted Image

I think I'll pick up Volume 2 of Raxephon as soon as Sept 30th rolls around.

#15 of 1013 JohnAD

JohnAD

Screenwriter

• 2,335 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 12:34 PM

Hey All:

Sorry I haven't posted recently, but I've been really busy. My internet is ok Posted Image, but today is my anniversary (#3!), so I was spending time with my wife. Being that it's also DVD Day ™, I picked up a few: All-Purpose Cultural Cat-Girl Nuku Nuku, eX-Driver Perfect Collection, Full Metal Panic Vol. 3, and Love Hina Again.

Earl:

I think you get to the advanced stage when you've purchased so many anime disks that your wallet jumps out of your pants and tries to strangle you. It's not a pretty sight.

Michael:

Well, I have to let you have the easy ones, otherwise you'll get frustrated Posted Image. I can't wait to pick up Love Hina #14, GTO #14, and Battle Royale #3 next week, before they 'officially' come out Posted Image.

John.
Most Recent Purchases: The Call of Cthulhu, Count Dracula, The Gravedancers, The Legend of Hell House, Prom Night, Starship Troopers, 28 Weeks Later, Unrest

Currently Collecting: Inu Yasha, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

Total DVDs: 1436 Anime DVDs: 776 R2 DVDs: 41 R3 DVDs: 6

#16 of 1013 Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 12:46 PM

Quote:
I think you get to the advanced stage when you've purchased so many anime disks that your wallet jumps out of your pants and tries to strangle you. It's not a pretty sight.
Would you say that I have reached that stage yet? Posted Image

#17 of 1013 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 01:41 PM

Quote:
I think you get to the advanced stage when you've purchased so many anime disks that your wallet jumps out of your pants and tries to strangle you.

Or when you can't afford pants... or a wallet....

#18 of 1013 Brendan Brown

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 04:57 PM

...FLCL is the greatest thing ever

Let's run away together Posted Image
Fetch the mind-wipe ray!
You mean the Magnum?
....yes.

#19 of 1013 Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 03:53 AM

Oh man... I am back. I have concluded that not having the internet for a week SUCKS Posted Image

Not much this week... but some of my Pioneer stuff finally shipping (Ai Yori Aoshi 4, Cardcaptor Sakura #4 [before #2 and #3, of course *sweatdrop*], and CCS: The Movie) along with 2 CCS GNs from the Tokyopop sale.

Hey, anybody got some webspace where I can host my signature image? My site apparently got sick of my damned remote-linking (cheap bastiches). It's only 4.5KB... heh.

#20 of 1013 earl_roberts

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 03:57 AM

Posted Image I finished Cowboy Bebop today!
I bet you all love it but to be honest I found it kinda..... disapointing!
I knew way in advance that the show was episodic and that the characters seemed to 'reset' at the start of each episode and that there was no character development but none of this sounded a problem to me and I thought it would have been perfect coming off the back of Evangelion, but as I was going through the last disc and it was all coming to the end I realised that I absolutely did not care about what was going to happen to these characters.
In The Real Folk Blues when {BIG spoiler}
Julia gets shot

I was just like, "Oh well," and I felt no emotion but compared to when
Asuka dies in End Of Evangelion

I was completely stunned! It sorta felt like I wanted to cry!
After being desperate to see Bebop for a loooong time, I don't feel it was worth it. A few episodes are amazing though and some are damn near perfect {Asteroid Blues, Waltz For Venus, Mushroom Samba} but overall as a series it definitely disapointed me. Anybody agree?

Forum Nav Content I Follow