Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How can I make my laser discs look better on my RPTV???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   CraigK

CraigK

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 12:35 PM

Well...I am a dvd nut with close to 400 titles in my collection. But a long time ago in a home theatre very, very near I collected laser discs and also have quite the collection.

Currently, I have a laser player without a SVHS. For a monitor I have the 48" JVC I-Art RPTV AV-48WP30.

I did notice a cable at the local Radio Shack that is composite at the one end and SVHS on the other. Will this improve signal clarity or is this a useless cable to purchase?

So, what are my options for a better picture with my laser player???

Throw me a bone please and thanks in advance for anyone that replies.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Nestor Vargas

Nestor Vargas

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 12:51 PM

To my knowledge LD is a composite format, so use the composite connection. Try the LD FAQ on the archive of this forum and/or tell us What LD player do you have so other HTF members help you out. In my experience I use composite.
¡Que vivan las películas en su formato original!

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,870 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 01:08 PM

Yeah, just use composite. Your RPTV should have a decent comb filter. You'd probably have to spend a whole lot to get better comb filtering externally.

Probably, you'll need to get a better LD player if you want to improve the picture.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   greg_t

greg_t

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 02:08 PM

Man is right. The best way to go is to get a better player. It might be helpful if you list what LD player you currently have.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   CraigK

CraigK

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 06:35 PM

Thanks gang.

If this helps at all, I have a Pioneer CLD S-201.

Where on this earth could I buy a BETTER Laser disc player now?

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,294 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 06:25 AM

Good question Craig,

I own a Marantz LV-520 and have been wondering what player would be a good one to replace the one I have? I am planing on uprading my 31" dvtv to a front projection unit with a 80" screen. So it would be nice to have a ld player with a better picture.
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 12:02 PM

Most Pioneer Elite Models are a big improvement. Check out Rachael's "Do-Buys & Don't-Buys" in the LD FAQ area.
Generally the HW 4 Sale forum is a good place to start
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 12:21 PM

We discussed this subject in deapth very recently. A search should yield that thread.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,934 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 05:30 AM

I don't know if this will work, but a external line doubler, may do the trick. If the line doubler has a composite in and out,
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,870 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 10:19 PM

An external linedoubler, even a very good one, might not help too much in his case unless the linedoubler can output via DVI and/or also upconvert to 1080i. I believe his JVC RPTV upconverts everything to 1080i (or is it a newer one that goes even higher?).

In any case, sounds like getting a better LD player is probably his best bet.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Edward Brand

Edward Brand

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted September 04 2003 - 03:37 AM

I agree that a better LD player will help, however I can attest to using an external line doubler/scaler to improve the picture quality. I have my cld-919 hooked up via s-vhs to a CENTERSTAGE CS-HD. The scaler spits out the signal component to my Toshiba rptv. I am very pleased with the picture quality of my LD collection especially the Star Wars Trilogy. The scaler de-interlaces and removes all combing in the picture to the extent that it looks almost as good as a non 16:9 enhanced dvd. The CS-HD scales everything to 16:9 for my rptv. This combination rocks. --Edward.