Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New reality/parody show on SpikeTV: Joe Schmo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
133 replies to this topic

#1 of 134 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 10:14 AM

The Joe Schmo Show debuts on SpikeTV on Sept 2 at 9 ET. The premise is that one guy thinks he's on a reality show competing for $100,000, but everyone else is an actor, & the show is rigged. Entertainment Weekly gave it a B+.

#2 of 134 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 03:20 PM

Sheesh, how much longer until we see The Truman Show - for real?

Posted Image
I don't like SPAM!

#3 of 134 OFFLINE   JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted September 02 2003 - 12:26 AM

I think it's actually very clever... I don't know that I'll watch it, but it's a nice premise and lampoon of the seemingly despised yet widely viewed reality genre.

#4 of 134 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 04:35 AM

I can already tell that this show will become my new favorite show.Posted Image

Licking chocolate off a topless contestant? I'm in!
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!
"I am the Doctor of Death, and I have come to cure you of your life." --Endless Mike, The Adventures of Pete and Pete

#5 of 134 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 11:49 AM

> Licking chocolate off a topless contestant?

They do that on Wall Street Week all the time.

#6 of 134 OFFLINE   Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 03:09 PM

I thought it was great! I'm not a reality show type of a person, but this one is certainly quite entertaining.

#7 of 134 OFFLINE   Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,424 posts
  • LocationThe Island, Canada

Posted September 02 2003 - 03:23 PM

Just finished watching it and I have to say, I like it.
 "Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#8 of 134 OFFLINE   Mike Slade

Mike Slade

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 03:42 PM

I only watched the first hour but I thought it was great! I tivo'ed the second half and I'll check it out tomorrow. I mean come on, "hands on a high priced stripper", that's just good clean fun!!

#9 of 134 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted September 02 2003 - 04:40 PM

does the host look exactly like a fatter version of john henson, one of the hosts on talk soup.

how about joe knows the whole thing is a setup and he is in on it from the beginning and is playing the rest of the cast.
facebook.com/whotony

#10 of 134 OFFLINE   Timothy Alexander

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 06:54 PM

This show was really awesome. I love how Matt is keeping all of the actors and producers on their toes without even realizing that all of this is fake. That whole "vote off" scene was probably one of the funniest things on television this year. "GET THAT CAMERA OFF ME!!" Posted Image
TAlex 700

#11 of 134 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 02:11 AM

TonyD,

My wife and I thought the same thing. The host did look like John Hensen. My wife likes a lot of the reality shows and wasn't going to watch this. But, she did and loves it. Although, I was a little horrified watching the "buddy" guy dance around in that thong. Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#12 of 134 OFFLINE   mark alan

mark alan

Supporting Actor

• 620 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 03:47 AM

The contestant on the show is from my hometown, and works (worked?) at a pizza shop about 3 blocks from my house. He did not seem to be the total dweeb that he appears to be on the show. I think that there is some oddball stuff going on with this show.

#13 of 134 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 04:29 AM

> how about joe knows the whole thing is a setup and he is in on it from the beginning and is playing the rest of the cast.

That's always possible, but I think it's better if the show is what we're told it is.

> Sheesh, how much longer until we see The Truman Show - for real?

What's your objection? This guy knows he's on a TV show & agreed to it. Big difference between that & turning someone's life into a show without his knowledge.

My guess is that it's rigged so that "Joe" wins. They need to keep him around; otherwise what's the point? And if they have him win the 100k, that rewards him for being the rube & answers the objection of him competing for a prize that doesn't exist.

I think a lot of people who hate reality shows will like this one, because it's a pretty good parody. A "guess whose underwear that is" contest? Posted Image

#14 of 134 OFFLINE   Timothy Alexander

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 04:47 AM

Quote:
He did not seem to be the total dweeb that he appears to be on the show.

To me he seems way smarter than I first, or the producers and actors, gave him any credit for. The way he remembers small details or asking questions the actors probably had no clue he would ask is making this a fun watch. The actors have to adlib on the spot for him and the producers have to rewrite whole segments and games because of him. I loved the scene where he forfeits the "hooker" game. That audible gasp and the look everybody just gave him was priceless.
TAlex 700

#15 of 134 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 05:56 AM

I agree, Joe is very observant. I love it when the actors slip up or Joe does something outside of their script. I can see already that I'm going to have a new found appreciation for "The Truman Show." The movie had a lot of the same things happen which just illustrates how good a job the movie did at portraying this kind of situation.

It would be cool if Joe figured it out before episode 10 but I doubt it. I kinda felt sorry for Joe since he is so sincere, honest and nice...but then I burped and realized that it was just gas.Posted Image
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!
"I am the Doctor of Death, and I have come to cure you of your life." --Endless Mike, The Adventures of Pete and Pete

#16 of 134 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 06:18 AM

Quote:
does the host look exactly like a fatter version of john henson

Thats it! I couldn't think of who that guy reminded me of!

I do like the show. It'll be interesting to see what happens as the contestants get weirder and weirder. I thought for sure the Marine was going to pull out a rifle as his "creature comfort".

It'll be interesting to see if any of the actors start feeling sorry for leading this nice guy on. It may wind up being more of a reality show for them.

#17 of 134 OFFLINE   Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,424 posts
  • LocationThe Island, Canada

Posted September 03 2003 - 07:25 AM

Quote:
I thought for sure the Marine was going to pull out a rifle as his "creature comfort".

I was thinking along the same lines but I thought it would be a huge Rambo knife.

"Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#18 of 134 OFFLINE   StephenK

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 08:30 AM

I remember reading that when he found out it was fake, he was pissed off and refused to do any publicity. I think he was also pondering suing, though I'm sure he signed multiple waivers which would make it impossible. Has anyone heard anything from him "post reveal"?

#19 of 134 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 02:35 PM

Well, if this show turns out to even be a semi-hit, you can bet Spike-TV will beat it like a dead horse with a knotted tow rope.

#20 of 134 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 06:48 PM

I LOVED this show!!

The most interesting aspect of it isn't Matt at all, but how the actors and the crew have to react to what he does, like when he completely unexpectedly decided to remove his hand from Tawny Robert's breast almost right away. They all looked like "WHAT THE FUCK DO WE DO NOW??". Posted Image

They are SO paranoid of getting caught, but realistically, I don't think he'll suspect they're acting. Why would he? If he discovers inconsistencies in their stories (like with the marine and his underwear) he'll mostly write it off as "playing the game" or just an odd occurence. The one thing I keep waiting for to happen that could potentially blow it though: "Kip" slipping with his accent! Posted Image

I loved Gina's Survivor-Susan rip-off speech. Lovely way to get the voting going. Posted Image

Oh, and about Matt: he seems very nice, and very smart. I wouldn't have been surprised if he had done well in a real reality series too.
/Mike

Forum Nav Content I Follow