What's new

Anybody got OUTER LIMITS season 2 yet...? (1 Viewer)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I can't find any reviews anywhere, and it comes out in just a couple of days.... anyone got it yet? How's it look/sound? Is it on par with the season 1 set?

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Glenn M. Erickson has a review up now at his DVD Savant website. Sounds comparable to the Season One set (really got to pick these up someday).

I got mine on Saturday. It is very much identical to the Season One set, which is great by me. I watched one episode, "Cold Hands, Warm Heart" with William Shatner. Looks great, sounds fine....I'm well satisfied to be able to watch this series anytime I want from now on!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
A seldom seen episode that I really want to see along side 'Warm Heart, Cold Hands', the Leonard Nimoy episode, 'I, Robot" and Ellison's 'Soldier' and 'Demon with a Glass Hand' is 'Behold, Eck!' and 'The Premonition'. Strongly remembered from my childhood and was never included in the laserdisc boxsets.

Thanks for the reminder! Nelson

richardWI

Second Unit
Season Two is incredibly overpriced! You're paying MORE for LESS episodes, and Season Two is notoriously considered a mixed bag. (Jumped the land shark??)

Season One sells at Best Buy for $60. 32 episodes = $1.87 per episode.

Season Two sells at Best Buy for $53. 17 episodes = $3.11 per episode!! Quite an increase considering you're paying for "Behold Eck!" But maybe they make up for it in bonus material.. don't they?

One of the more interesting things about this is the fact that the budget for OL kept getting cut during the second season and now they want MORE MONEY for those episodes.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Best Buy has them on sale this week!

$50 each and if you buy both, then you get an additional $20 off. I'll be picking both up on tomorrow.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I agree that season 2 having the same MSRP as season 1 is crazy... but only in compariosn to season 1's low price. $50 seems really cheap for 32 episodes, but not so cheap for 17.... In the end, I'll have paid $100 for both seasons, or around $2.00 per episode, which is perfectly reasonable. I bought most of the series on VHS back in the 80's at $12.95 per episode!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I've no qualms with the price.

Normally, my vendor sends an e-mail confirming shipment on Fridays, and I receive the orders on Mondays. No confirmation e-mail last Friday, so I am chalking it up to this being a holiday weekend.

Just some? The second season, like the first, was uniformly excellent. I consider this to be the finest-ever science-fiction series for television. And the Harlan Ellison-scripted "Demon with a Glass Hand" is in my list of the ten-greatest science-fiction films ever made.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Even the cheesier episodes are perfectly watchable... For me, there's no truly bad episode. Tomorrow can't arrive soon enough! Another favorite TV show in the bag.... now if Artisan would just release season two of Twin Peaks....

Jack: I'd love to see a feature film version of "Demon"... DC put out a graphic novel about fifteen or so years ago, and it's great (I have it around here somewhere)... maybe get Robert Culp to do a cameo as one of the Kyben officers or something.... :)

Edward Brand

Agent
The original Outer Limits holds a very special place from my childhood memories. I remember watching it on my little 9" black & white tv anytime it was on. I think the price that is being asked for both season 1 and 2 is very reasonable. --Edward

Randy Schissler

Stunt Coordinator
I was hoping that with season 2's fewer episodes, some special features of some sort would be added to the set, but I guess that didn't happen. I'll still buy it though.

--Randy S.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see the 2nd season hitting DVD. While I tend to find the second seaon a bit of a mixed bag, there are some great episodes. Favorites from the new set include:

Soldier, Demon With a Glass Hand - In complete agreement Jack, I, Robot, Wolf 359 - I don't recall if Sturgeon's Microcosmic God was credited or not; one of my favorite SF stories of all time, The Inheritors, Part I & II, and The Premonition.

Edited to correct the reference to Microcosmic God. I must be getting old.

- Walter.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if there is intent to release the new (Showtime) Outerlimits outside of the two discs that have been released?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Still working on my review, but it looks very nice indeed. The main problems are 1) poorly rendered grain that is somewhat sparkly and 2) a fair amount of aliasing throughout. But fine detail and texture are excellent, particularly when you compare them with miserable video quality TV product from the same year, such as the Honor Blackman Avengers episodes (yes, I know those are taken from kinescopes; the point is that that's as good as they get, and that's not very good).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just took a quick sampling of this disc and I experienced a serious glitch I've never seen before.

I was watchng Behold Eck! At about 5minutes 30 secs in, right after the openning credits the picture breaks up with serious pixelization, freezes, tries to play a bit, freezes and with more serious pixelization. Eventually it won't play and stop. I ejected the disc, play it again, and it got a little further, but still froze up. I skipped to chapter 2 and it played okay. So does Soldier and Cold Hands, Warm Heart.

I played it on a DVL-91 Pioneer player. No other disc has done this before. It must be a defect. Just curious if this has happen to others.

Thanks, Nelson

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Behold Eck played fine for me on both a Sony and Toshiba. Try cleaning the disc. A moving pixelation like that usually means there's something on the disc (it may be invisible, appropriate for The Outer Limits, eh?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks