Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anybody got OUTER LIMITS season 2 yet...?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,728 posts

Posted August 31 2003 - 01:10 PM

I can't find any reviews anywhere, and it comes out in just a couple of days.... anyone got it yet? How's it look/sound? Is it on par with the season 1 set?

#2 of 38 OFFLINE   Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted August 31 2003 - 06:11 PM

Glenn M. Erickson has a review up now at his DVD Savant website. Sounds comparable to the Season One set (really got to pick these up someday).

#3 of 38 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 01:52 AM

I, too must pick both sets up some day. Some of the episodes are great. Gordy

#4 of 38 OFFLINE   Tony Richards

Tony Richards

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 02:31 AM

I got mine on Saturday. It is very much identical to the Season One set, which is great by me. I watched one episode, "Cold Hands, Warm Heart" with William Shatner. Looks great, sounds fine....I'm well satisfied to be able to watch this series anytime I want from now on!

#5 of 38 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,719 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 03:51 AM

A seldom seen episode that I really want to see along side 'Warm Heart, Cold Hands', the Leonard Nimoy episode, 'I, Robot" and Ellison's 'Soldier' and 'Demon with a Glass Hand' is 'Behold, Eck!' and 'The Premonition'. Strongly remembered from my childhood and was never included in the laserdisc boxsets. Thanks for the reminder! Nelson

#6 of 38 OFFLINE   richardWI

richardWI

Second Unit

• 362 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 04:19 AM

Season Two is incredibly overpriced! You're paying MORE for LESS episodes, and Season Two is notoriously considered a mixed bag. (Jumped the land shark??) Season One sells at Best Buy for $60. 32 episodes = $1.87 per episode. Season Two sells at Best Buy for $53. 17 episodes = $3.11 per episode!! Quite an increase considering you're paying for "Behold Eck!" But maybe they make up for it in bonus material.. don't they? One of the more interesting things about this is the fact that the budget for OL kept getting cut during the second season and now they want MORE MONEY for those episodes.

#7 of 38 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 04:31 AM

Best Buy has them on sale this week! $50 each and if you buy both, then you get an additional $20 off. I'll be picking both up on tomorrow.

#8 of 38 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,728 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 05:26 AM

I agree that season 2 having the same MSRP as season 1 is crazy... but only in compariosn to season 1's low price. $50 seems really cheap for 32 episodes, but not so cheap for 17.... In the end, I'll have paid $100 for both seasons, or around $2.00 per episode, which is perfectly reasonable. I bought most of the series on VHS back in the 80's at $12.95 per episode!

#9 of 38 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 05:35 AM

I've no qualms with the price. Normally, my vendor sends an e-mail confirming shipment on Fridays, and I receive the orders on Mondays. No confirmation e-mail last Friday, so I am chalking it up to this being a holiday weekend.
Just some? The second season, like the first, was uniformly excellent. I consider this to be the finest-ever science-fiction series for television. And the Harlan Ellison-scripted "Demon with a Glass Hand" is in my list of the ten-greatest science-fiction films ever made.

#10 of 38 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,728 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 07:16 AM

Even the cheesier episodes are perfectly watchable... For me, there's no truly bad episode. Tomorrow can't arrive soon enough! Another favorite TV show in the bag.... now if Artisan would just release season two of Twin Peaks....

Jack: I'd love to see a feature film version of "Demon"... DC put out a graphic novel about fifteen or so years ago, and it's great (I have it around here somewhere)... maybe get Robert Culp to do a cameo as one of the Kyben officers or something.... Posted Image

#11 of 38 OFFLINE   Edward Brand

Edward Brand

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 08:34 AM

The original Outer Limits holds a very special place from my childhood memories. I remember watching it on my little 9" black & white tv anytime it was on. I think the price that is being asked for both season 1 and 2 is very reasonable. --Edward

#12 of 38 OFFLINE   richardWI

richardWI

Second Unit

• 362 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 12:10 PM

[quote] In the end, I'll have paid $100 for both seasons, or around $2.00 per episode, which is perfectly reasonable. [quote]

That's probably a better way of looking at it. I guess I just got spoiled by Season One being so inexpensive.

#13 of 38 OFFLINE   Randy Schissler

Randy Schissler

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 01:18 PM

I was hoping that with season 2's fewer episodes, some special features of some sort would be added to the set, but I guess that didn't happen. I'll still buy it though. --Randy S.

#14 of 38 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,989 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 02:00 PM

Glad to see the 2nd season hitting DVD. While I tend to find the second seaon a bit of a mixed bag, there are some great episodes. Favorites from the new set include:

Soldier, Demon With a Glass Hand - In complete agreement Jack, I, Robot, Wolf 359 - I don't recall if Sturgeon's Microcosmic God was credited or not; one of my favorite SF stories of all time, The Inheritors, Part I & II, and The Premonition.

Edited to correct the reference to Microcosmic God. I must be getting old.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#15 of 38 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted September 01 2003 - 03:52 PM

Does anyone know if there is intent to release the new (Showtime) Outerlimits outside of the two discs that have been released?
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#16 of 38 OFFLINE   Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 03:18 AM

Here's another review with a few screen captures for anyone who might be interested:

http://www.thecinema...3/ol-s2-dvd.htm

Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
2,000-plus Blu-ray & DVD reviews now playing...
http://www.thecinemalaser.com

#17 of 38 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,719 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for the review link, looks great! Nelson

#18 of 38 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 09:10 AM

Still working on my review, but it looks very nice indeed. The main problems are 1) poorly rendered grain that is somewhat sparkly and 2) a fair amount of aliasing throughout. But fine detail and texture are excellent, particularly when you compare them with miserable video quality TV product from the same year, such as the Honor Blackman Avengers episodes (yes, I know those are taken from kinescopes; the point is that that's as good as they get, and that's not very good).

#19 of 38 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,719 posts

Posted September 02 2003 - 07:20 PM

I just took a quick sampling of this disc and I experienced a serious glitch I've never seen before. I was watchng Behold Eck! At about 5minutes 30 secs in, right after the openning credits the picture breaks up with serious pixelization, freezes, tries to play a bit, freezes and with more serious pixelization. Eventually it won't play and stop. I ejected the disc, play it again, and it got a little further, but still froze up. I skipped to chapter 2 and it played okay. So does Soldier and Cold Hands, Warm Heart. I played it on a DVL-91 Pioneer player. No other disc has done this before. It must be a defect. Just curious if this has happen to others. Thanks, Nelson

#20 of 38 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted September 03 2003 - 02:29 AM

Behold Eck played fine for me on both a Sony and Toshiba. Try cleaning the disc. A moving pixelation like that usually means there's something on the disc (it may be invisible, appropriate for The Outer Limits, eh?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users