What's new

Blockbuster - Late fee (1 Viewer)

Bruce_S

Second Unit
I just received a notice of my Blockbuster rental late fee in the mail. I was a bit surprise since I have had other late fees that have gone unpaid at different stores and never recieved a notice.

Is this something new that Blockbuster is attempting to collect for late fees? Usually, they ask people to pay their late fees upon their next visit to the store. Will this heading to a collection agency if I decide not to pay?

Thanks in advance,

bruce

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Blockbuster is notorious for being fee Nazis. If the fee is legit, I'd say you should pay it. If it's not then you need to try to straighten it out.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Blockbuster has been doing this for years. Yes, it will be sent to a collection agency if you don't pay up. Happened to me about 5 years ago, though I payed before it was sent to the agency. It never appeared on my credit report but if it gets sent to an agency I'm sure it will.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Last time I filled out a blockbuster app the soc. sec. # was optional. If you left it blank I wouldn't imagine they could do much could they?

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I was about 3 weeks late in paying a late fee of $4 and change and they did send it to a collection agency. I always pay my late fees the next time I rent but I guess that $4 was the difference in their earnings statement.

David_Moechnig

Stunt Coordinator
I had neglected to pay a Blockbuster late fee for a few weeks and they charged it directly to my credit card. Boy was I surprised to see that on my statement.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Blockbuster will try and collect outstanding balances on your credit card (that you provided when you open your account) after a set period of time (usually 59 days for small balances, less time for larger ones). If they are unable to collect or if you do not have a valid credit card on file they will send you to a collection agency.

James T

Screenwriter
I was about 3 weeks late in paying a late fee of $4 and change and they did send it to a collection agency. I always pay my late fees the next time I rent but I guess that $4 was the difference in their earnings statement.
Really? I work at a big video store and it costs us $50 to send a custoemr to collections, so if it's an old movie or if the late charge does not come up to be $50, it's not worth it.

A side note...I was reviewing some collection reports and I saw that one person was sent to collections. Total cost owing was $1500 CDN for one Harry Potter movie.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
James, that's interesting. The fee I owed was about $7. Seems like BB would be losing money if they sent enough people to collections.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
My late fee was for one DVD rental which was a few hours late past the noon deadline. It just so happened that it was a few weeks before I rented again. I made it a point to head over to BB and pay my late fee because of the collection notice. Fortunately, I haven't recieved another. I don't trust BB at all. A few years back, my wife rented Varsity Blues and took it back on time. The next time I went there, about 20 days later, they claimed I never returned it and were going to charge me the late fees. I waited there til they tracked it down (it was on the shelf) and got an apology from the manager.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Really? I work at a big video store and it costs us $50 to send a custoemr to collections, so if it's an old movie or if the late charge does not come up to be $50, it's not worth it.
I've never gone higher than $20 in late fees in my life. I got the collection notice, so I guess BB does things differently.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ok, but might BB have some sort of a contract with a collection agency? In theory, anyone receiving any bill from a collection agency will pay up because they know that it would end up in their credit report.

And $1500.CDN for Potter? Isn't there a limit?
Can you lose that much in sales if it isn't available?

Glenn

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
I had a late fee about 2 years ago and never paid it. It was at my college so I never use the location anymore. I returned the video on time so it had to be their mistake. They didn't do a thing to me besides the letter. I think that as long as they get the movie back, they aren't going to do anything beyond a letter. I guess it would depend on the amount you owed and like previously mentioned, if it was an older movie.

Bruce_S

Second Unit
I'm not going to pay it off, just yet. I'm gonna play it out to see what happens. I don't understand b/c - I have two other Blockbuster stores w/outstanding late fees that I haven't pay or received notice. They are all within 10 minutes of each other. Usually, I just go rent somewhere else when something like that happens.

-bruce

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
is BB a franchise? or are they all corporate owned stores? or a combo of both like McD's? anyone know? that might explain the difference in practices.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> anyone receiving any bill from a collection agency will pay up because they know that it would end up in their credit report.

Not unless they have an SSN.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
They don't exactly need your SSN to put something onto your credit report. They know enough about you to find you SSN and then put something on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks