What's new

Convert VGA signal to DVI? (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Is it possible to convert a VGA D-Sub 15 cable to DVI? I'm looking at getting an RCA DTC-100 HD Receiver that has VGA output. I'm hoping to be able to use a VGA cable w/ a DVI adapter on one end and use the DVI input on my TV, instead of buying the RCA VGA-to-Component transcoder box and using up another Component Input.

Any input on why this would or would not work?

LewB

Screenwriter
Funny you should ask. I just installed a new video card in my PC so that I'd have a DVI output to my LCD monitor. In the box is a little block that does just that. Just took a quick look and found this

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I've seen DVI-to-VGA adapters, but do the work both ways, i.e., will it convert a VGA signal to DVI?

KurtBJC

Agent
A word of warning here: a DVI-VGA adapter doesn't do anything at all by way of signal conversion. What it does is take the analog pins off of the DVI side and direct them to the corresponding pins on the VGA plug. If the device with the DVI in or out doesn't handle an analog signal through that port, it won't work. There's no cheap way to convert RGBHV to DVI digital or vice versa.

John Murawski

Auditioning
I believe that what that simple adapter is doing is converting DVI-I (which is an analog signal) to VGA ( another analog signal).

Div-(D) (digital) to VGA (analog) is a much more intense conversion and more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks