Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

No Doctor Who Straight Lay Releases

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Kevin McCorry

Kevin McCorry

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 01:18 AM

BBC North America and Warner have abandoned plans for
simultaneous releases to VHS and DVD of Doctor Who
serials. The intent had evidently been straight lay releases on DVD of any Who titles yet to be distributed on VHS. Now, we can only expect DVDs of Who titles given the DVD treatment in Britain, meaning a meager 6 stories maximium per year. Let's see, at that rate, I'll be 55- or 6 feet under- by the time we see DVDs of every Who story still in existence.

They just keep propping VHS up, it seems. For a dying format, it sure seems to get a lot of CPR.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,259 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 06:29 AM

Why am I not suprised that this bad news somehow involves Warner?

------------------
-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 08:06 AM

This news has nowt to do with Warner, and everything to do with the BBC's allocated budget for DVD releases and the care of the DW Restoration Team to bring out quality product.

Note that R1 buyers will get an extra commentary track on The Five Doctors, as well as the complete Remembrance of the Daleks.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 11:58 AM

In a way, I am glad that Warner isn't providing day-and-date DVD releases of upcoming Doctor Who VHS products. The Doctor Who Restoration Team has shown me time and again from their website ( http://www.restoration-team.co.uk ) that the masters for a VHS release just aren't acceptable for DVD encoding. It seems likely that Warner wouldn't clean up the transfers, so they would probably be unacceptable in video and audio quality. I'd rather have Steve Roberts, Ralph Montagu, Paul Vanezis, Richard Molesworth, and Mark Ayers do their magic (DVNR, ProTools, Scratchbox, Spirit, and many other techniques) on the released titles then have something that I want to throw away later once the story is released by the BBC. The only problem is that this may delay some titles for 10+ years. Can we please get Fox Video to take back the BBC Worldwide contract? Posted Image

[Edited last by Michael Sliger on August 16, 2001 at 06:59 PM]

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Rollie

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 02:53 PM

Quote:
Can we please get Fox Video to take back the BBC Worldwide contract?

I wish....

I just hope that Warner doesn't find some way to butcher this show. Watch them be in the "movie" format or something equally ridiculous. I'm definitely buying Spearhead from Space. I'll make my judgement based on that disc.

------------------
Hit pay-dirt with KDRT!

Petition FOX and score The Adventures of Ford Fairlane on DVD!

http://www.hometheat....ML/001933.html

"Some people play hard to get, I play hard to want."