What's new

Cable to DSL... much better... (1 Viewer)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Today I changed from a cable modem internet service to a DSL service through Bellsouth. Typically, the cable provided about 700 mg download but being shared bandwidth, that varried greatly. Installed DSL today and checked the speed..........1.2...and NO shared bandwidth.. wow and it is noticibly faster loading most sites......
DSL is also cheaper...by just a little but Bellsouth, through rebates is actually paying me 50 bucks to change even after rebating the connect, modem and first month fees..... Great deal.....

Seth--L

Screenwriter

I actually switched from Bell Atlantic/Verizon DSL to Comcast Cable in Philadelphia. DSL was simply horrible. The speed would often dramatically fluctuate, and every-other month service would go out for an entire day. We actually dusted off and re-hooked up a 56k modem to our server because it happened so regularly.

Despite being on the same loop as all my other neighbors, we've never had speed problems, and it is of course much faster than DSL. The fact that Comcast is located out of Philadelphia is probably a big factor in why our service is so good.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I went from DSL (qwest 640k) to cable (midco) then to cable (comcast) at a new location, and now have to go with satellite for lack of better options at my new place. I also found my DSL to be pretty unreliable.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I've been using Bellsouth DSL for about 4 months now. I've yet to have it go down on me. And the speed is fantastic. I couldn't imagine having to go back to dial-up.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I've been using DSL for 2 1/2 yrs and have yet to have any trouble. Its also $15 cheaper ($35 vs. $50) per month here in greater boston.

Michael Silla

Second Unit
I have had DSL for 2 years with no major problems. Service has been more reliable than it ever was with AT&T/Comcast although the early days of @Home provided me with THE FASTEST speeds I have ever seen at home (regularly could see 500-600Kps downloads with bursts to 800kps).

Earthlink DSL has given some pretty amazing upload speeds though....lately I have been seeing ~425 kbs uploads. Downloads have been no better than 1200-1300 or so kbs.

Michael.

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
my cable is uncapped, and barely anybody is on my node... my downloads max out where my ethernet cable maxs out :D

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
This proves once again it doesn't matter about the technology, just the service.

It took Comcast a good 1.5 years to get it right in my area and give their customers a reliable connection when @home went down. I'm now pretty happy with my $40/mo cable internet. During the dropouts I would have gone DSL in a heartbeat if I had the option but Verizon never got around to my neighborhood.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I went from Charter Comm cable to Bellsouth DSL. Around here, Bellsouth has a good rep with DSL so I had no qualms about the change.
But I do admit having some great help and advice from my son who happens to be the Senior Programming Analyst for a National business phone company. Lucky me...... Works out great..... I do his HT sytem and he does my computers............

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I've had Comcast cable here in the Twin Cities, MN for about 3/4 year - during which time, I've seen a range of download speeds from 1.5 - 2.5 mbps. 90% of the time, it's at 2.2 mbps.

So I've had good experience with both the speed and reliability.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
In my area DSL can vary greating as it probably does everywhere. DSL is affected by the condition of the copper in your area. I live more than 4 miles from the switch office. OTOH, I do use Road Runner and get fairly consistent speeds typically around 2200 kbit/s.

Even if it could be faster it's still far better than dialup could've ever been. I never had a connect speed of greater than 26400 regardless of ISP being used. That alone scared me from DSL. Road Runner lets me surf, listen to streaming radio at bits up to 320kbit/s and download simultaneously.

A buddy of mine that works at BellSouth told me that for every 5 subscribers they get orders for, 3 of them will be disconnected within a month.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> A buddy of mine that works at BellSouth told me that for every 5 subscribers they get orders for, 3 of them will be disconnected within a month.

And the other 2 are still waiting to get hooked up. :D

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
those that claim DSL to be cheaper aren't factoring in the phone line
While True, I couldn't use a cell phone at home due to the way my house is positioned in the city. The only reason I have not switched to Cox is the fact that I am still running the $39 initial rate. Cost wise they are the same to me. I don't download that much and I'm not in any hurry so the price I pay is a wash. No real reason for me to upgrade.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> those that claim DSL to be cheaper aren't factoring in the phone line

The prices they quote don't include the phone line? It's worse than I thought.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I've got Road Runner through TW Cable and consistently get 1.5 - 2.0 mbps download speeds. If the cable company properly excecutes the service, shared bandwith is not ever an issue.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
The prices they quote don't include the phone line? It's worse than I thought.
Depends, qwest runs about 40 bucks a month for the DSL and ISP service, but you need to have a phone line to install it on, I don't have home phone service so it's an additional 25 bucks a month or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks