-

Photo
- - - - -

Can an SVS operate upside down?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted August 29 2003 - 09:43 PM

Hmmm. I really don't know how to ask this, but whenever I get about 3 feet away from my SVS I hear the truly deep gut-wrenching bass that everyone talks about (16-46 pci) but as soon as I sit on my couch (8 feet away) I can only hear it slightly, and all of that incredibly deep bass has completely disappeared. I have it calibrated, and have even tried different spots in my room (right now it's at the left-hand corner of my room).

I was thinking of maybe turning it UPSIDE DOWN. That's right. I just want to see what will happen to the bass. Maybe I can improve the bass? I've already tried every location in my room, so this would be the next step. Would this hurt the SVS in any way? I certainly would not even dare try it if it's going to damage it.

#2 of 7 Fredster

Fredster

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted August 30 2003 - 01:28 AM

Sideways perhaps - the top is a port and shouldn't be blocked.

This sounds like a "location" problem to me. Continue moving sub around. Also adjusting the phase might help, it did with mine (20-39PCi).

#3 of 7 jeff peterson

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor

• 678 posts

Posted August 30 2003 - 08:32 AM

How about trying the old trick of placing your sub where you will be sitting and moving your ears around the room until you find a good spot?

#4 of 7 Jason Reich

Jason Reich

Stunt Coordinator

• 90 posts

Posted August 30 2003 - 08:33 AM

I second Jeffs response- I did that and it worked wonders for me
Jason

Audi- Four Rings to Rule them All!

#5 of 7 MikeLi

MikeLi

Supporting Actor

• 945 posts

Posted August 30 2003 - 10:52 AM

You guys are SOOOO bad...

#6 of 7 Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted August 30 2003 - 12:48 PM

Whoops! I forgot to try the "phase" switch every time that I moved it. That must be why it didn't sound any different. Hmm...Now that I think about it, I think I'll just put right right behind the couch and toggle the phase switch.

Jeff & Jason, I did try what you said. I placed the entire huge sub on top of the couch and I got on my hands and knees and crawled around the floor with my spl meter, but all of the readings were the same. I should have tried the phase switch.

#7 of 7 Frank Carter

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

• 1,188 posts

Posted August 30 2003 - 03:10 PM

placed the entire huge sub on top of the couch and I got on my hands and knees and crawled around the floor with my spl meter, but all of the readings were the same.

You should play something you're familiar with(movie or music), and listen to the quality of the bass(not just quantity). I have tried plotting the response at potential sub locations with the sub in the listening position and it's usually comes close to the response when I reverse the locations.