-

Photo
- - - - -

Pioneer 563A Calibration Problem

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Ted Kontos

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator

• 132 posts

Posted August 29 2003 - 07:52 AM

I just purchased the Pioneer 563A to supplement my JVC 500 all-region player. I plan to use it for R1 and DVD-A and SACD. Here's the problem I'm having: I connected coax digital, 5.1 analog cables and L/R analog cables to my Onkyo 595 receiver. I set the Pioneer player to "fixed" speaker levels, all "small" speakers w/SW "on" and decided to calibrate (using my RS meter) through my receiver. The Onkyo will allow you to set trims for all speakers in multi-channel mode as well as digital. I used my Avia disc for test tones and calibrated in MC mode. No problem. I then switched to Digital Coax mode and calibrated again. However, when I shut the receiver off and turn it back on, my digital settings all revert to a bizarre "pre-set" of sorts with the levels changing, and subwoofer dropping from +3 to -5! The analogue settings remain the same. I never have experienced this problem with the JVC. Am I missing something in the Pioneer settings? It's as though the Pioneer is controlling my receiver.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ted
--------
Ted K.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Rob Darst

Rob Darst

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted August 30 2003 - 03:52 AM

Hi Ted,

According to the manual, the "variable" settings only affect the player's 6-channel analog outputs, regardless of whether you set them in "Initial Settings" or "Audio Settings." If that is true, then digital-out audio calibration must be done with your receiver's controls. (That's how I did it.)

One other thing: After setting my variable speaker settings the first time, the settings later mysteriously went back to factory default. I did it again and they seem to have stuck. Perhaps I did not press the appropriate enter/return/menu buttons the first time around.

Good luck!

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Ted Kontos

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator

• 132 posts

Posted August 31 2003 - 12:25 AM

Thanks Rob,

I think I solved the problem by setting the levels within my receiver menu. I never had to do that with my other player, a JVC 500 all-region. That one can be set "on the fly". Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the JVC doesn't have a built-in DAC and the Pioneer does? At any rate, all is well.

Again thanks for your reply,
Ted
--------
Ted K.