What's new

No A.I. Artificial Intelligence DVD Release In 2001? (1 Viewer)

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I, too am disappointed. This film seemed to have a pretty firm street date of Dec 18. My wife was probably going to have this one under the Christmas tree for me.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I'm still waiting for it to gets its damn theatrical release here (arghh). This descision kind of makes sense really, plus one less DVD to buy this fall/christmas is no bad thing in my book. :)
Dan (UK)

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Besides the reasons mentioned in the article I believe that WB will be re-releasing the film to theatres in late Winter, early Spring. It is the opinion of many in the film industry (articles written in Variety and Hollywood Reporter) that the film deserves better and that WB botched the marketing of the film BIG TIME.
------------------

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I would go see A.I. again for a re-release. This film certainly deserves Oscar consideration. If nothing else Haley Joel deserves a best actor nomination. Also, so far, it's one of two films I've seen deserving Best Picture (the other being Memento). I would be happy to wait for the DVD for this film if it meant it would be justly honored.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Save Stargate SG-1 Season 6
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
It is the opinion of many in the film industry (articles written in Variety and Hollywood Reporter) that the film deserves better and that WB botched the marketing of the film BIG TIME
Wasn't this the same logic that brought Wonder Boys back to the theaters after it's initial, botched release. (Note, I have no idea if that was WB release, but it's really not important for this discussion!) They didn't know how to advertise on it's first release, and did even worse on the second release. I can't imagine that WB will suddenly find a great way to bring AI to the masses.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

AdrianOC

Stunt Coordinator
Wasn't Wonder Boys a Paramount release??
------------------
"Want to hold up a bank in Latin?
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
(I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)
My DVD List

Jodee

Screenwriter
I remember I kept hearing about that much-discussed "re-release" of Wonder Boys--
The film NEVER ended up showing near me and I live in a Top 10 market! I managed to catch it on the initial release, but I thought it was funny that the re-release had even worse distribution than the initial release.
A sfar as AI is concerned, t probably better coming out next year than 12/18. I think that date is a litle too close to Christmas and would get overloooked in the Xmas rush. (most people would already have their Xmas lists made by that point and many people have their shopping done at that point. People buying for themselves would probably hold off since they have to buy presents for others, etc.) I always noticed that DVDs that come out to close to Christmas tend to fall through the cracks. Anything past early December is pretty small potatoes.
It would definitely make a bigger splash as a big new release in January.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
So, Tino, A.I. is your fave film of the year? Quite an endorsement, coming from someone whose opinions I respect considerably. You're persuading me.
And, congrats to Dan for having been named an Administrator--this is the first I have noticed. May thou hast no reason to locketh one of my posts! :)
As for the DVD being released in 2002: Isn't this the pattern with DreamWorks? The studio's major DVD releases tend to come out way later than the others--as if DreamWorks is conditioning us for a world of rental-window DVD releases.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'm no Tino, but FWIW, A.I. is also my favorite of the year so far. (Even if we include In The Mood For Love as a 2001 film.)
Have you not seen it yet, Jack? Or are you just yet unsure what you think of it?
I think they need to take the time with this DVD to make it what it should be - a legacy for Kubrick and a study of the conjoining of two, so very different cinematic sensibilities. At the very least, all of the pre-production artwork developed by Kubrick (and the artist whose name I forget) - which was closely followed by Speilberg in the final cut - as well as the various script permutations under Kubrick leading to Speilberg's final rewrite should be included. And I would love to read some of those famous faxes!
(For those who don't know, Kubrick requested that Spielberg set up a fax machine solely to handle their correspondence back and forth about the film. God, would I love to be privy to that conversation.)
In other words, we need something like a Criterion release, not something like the usual studio release. The normal marketing stuff - "featurettes" and the like - won't cut it. I think this DVD needs to be pitched to the film buff and film student; the casual viewer doesn't really engage with the supplemental features anyway, and the casual viewer didn't really engage with this film. It can't be done like the usual studio disc... or even the usual Spielberg disc. I doubt we'll get this, but the material is available.
------------------
"Only one is a wanderer; two together are always going somewhere."
ver.gif

Link Removed
Al's Criterion Collection
[Edited last by Al Brown on August 15, 2001 at 10:37 AM]

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Jeez, Jack - why haven't you seen this? Even if you've got issues with the whole Spielberg/Kubrick thing, how does a science fiction fan pass up one of the rare attempts to do an honest to god, bona fide intelligent sense of wonder sf movie? (And, IMAO, a successful one.) Get out and see this while it's still on the big screen!quote: As for the DVD being released in 2002: Isn't this the pattern with DreamWorks? The studio's major DVD releases tend to come out way later than the others--as if DreamWorks is conditioning us for a world of rental-window DVD releases.[/quote]That's one possibility, I suppose, but might it not be just as likely that DreamWorks doesn't feel the need to push their prestige titles through the pipeline as fast as possible? Titles like Saving Private Ryan, American Beauty and A.I. are arguably less reliant on "buzz", so there's less need to strike while the iron is hot. Delaying the releases gives SKG time to rerelease them theatrically to capitalize on awards (which also increases their cachet somewhat), and stake out a video release date where the release is a big deal, as opposed to part of the noise. And it also creates time for better DVD supplements to be created - an extra few months can add a lot of perspective on what's really worth talking about and what's not, as opposed to just doing standard-issue FX mini-docs and canned promo interviews.
Also note that it's not just DreamWorks that does it - Buena Vista also doesn't really see the need to make sure the Disney or Pixar FAs are out in time for the holiday season.
Not that rental windows would necessarily be a bad thing, either, especially if it gives the studios time to do those more thoughtful extras, lowers sell-through prices and ensures sell-through editions will be more targeted to the collector. But we've been through that before. :)
[Edited last by Jason Seaver on August 15, 2001 at 10:45 AM]

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Yeah Jack - Get with the program. :)
Seriously, if you haven't viewed A.I. Artificial Intelligence yet then you are missing out on one of the best films of the year. ( Memento is still my #1 film of the year, but that has more to do with the film's respective genres. ) As a Kubrick fan, you owe it to yourself to see this film. Trust me ( or Tino or Al or Jason or Edwin. :) ) If it is still playing, go see it now.
- Walter.
[Edited last by Walter Kittel on August 15, 2001 at 10:54 AM]

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I saw A.I Artificial Intelligence three times in the theater and enjoyed it more each time I saw it, and came away with a richer understanding of it after every viewing.
I certainly hope Warner Bros. does re-release it for Oscar consideration as it very much deserves it. Any chance to see it again on the big screen is welcome.
If any film warrants a second viewing, it's A.I. Artificial Intelligence. I have spoken to people who have only seen it once and were disappointed, only to change their minds after discussing it and seeing it again. If you have only seen it once and not liked it, perhaps a second viewing may change your mind as it has for many people I know. Do a search in the movies section for some great comments regarding this amazing film.
As for the DVD release, I am glad that Dreamworks is handling the domestic relese as IMO, they will do a better job than Warner Bros would. Not that Warner would have done a bad job, I just believe Dreamworks will do a better one, i.e DTS and supplements ala Shrek.
In the meantime, a Christmas time re-release would be the perfect holiday gift for me. :)
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I feel compelled to add to the previous comments. Jack, Jack....I highly recommend that you see this film, and am quite surprised that you haven't. NO one is a bigger fan of intelligent SF (literary or cinematic) than you are, and no one is more keenly aware than you are how rare good cinematic SF is. I'm speculating here, but I sense that you're wary of the "dilution" of a Kubrickian vision (I've never seen a bigger Kubrick fan than you) with Spielbergian elements. Don't be. See it.
[Edited last by RobertR on August 15, 2001 at 11:31 AM]

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I'll add to the chorus by stating that AI is my favorite film of the year by a large margin. I have not yet seen Memento, which sounds like the sort of thing I would like. As far as the DVD being delayed, that's another $20 towards my purchase of Criterion's The Ruling Class & The Lady Eve. I hope they delay it long enough for my bank accounts to recover from Christmas.
In summary: it's not just people Jack respects like Tino who swear by AI, it's schmoes like me and Al as well!
wink.gif

Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Carl C

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with you guys...
A.I. is the best film of 2001 (so far) and is SUPREMELY underrated, over-hated, and misunderstood.
I'll eagerly anticipate both a full theatrical re-release and the eventual gem of a DVD we'll get from DreamWorks.
wink.gif

`Carl
------------------
Administrator, Link Removed
My DVD List
[Edited last by Carl C on August 15, 2001 at 12:20 PM]

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
A.I. is the best film of 2001 (so far) and is SUPREMELY underrated, over-hated, and misunderstood.
I couldn't agree more, I absolutely loved this film. I was so struck by it that i didn't realy discuss it withanyone for a day after seeing it. I really want to see it again and hoep that there is a theatrical rerelease (would be great if dreamworks did the marketing, even though the first two trailers were fantastic IMO, they never got the distribution that was needed. The emotions of AI, I've noticed really appeal to many women i know, that are not film buffs, or science fiction buffs, and so had no reason to go see it. I think that AI is one film that would have really benefitted from being given time on Rosie and Oprah (if it didn't get it the first time, i wouldn't know), because i think they both would have praised it, and drawn a whole other crowd to the film.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Jack,
Just echoing the other comments by Tino, Al, et al. It's both one of the year's best AND a geniune science fiction film. Very rare these days. Go see it if it's still playing near you or wait for the re-release/DVD release.
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks