What's new

Rare DTS and/or Anamorphic titles (Brazil R4 NTSC) (1 Viewer)

AlexBC

Second Unit
Check out this nice list of rare titles released in Brazil, R4 NTSC (yes, no speedup!!!), and best of all, they're cheap (due to favorable exchange rate, U$1,00=R$3,00, these titles go for about U$13,00 - U$15,00).
notes: -all the titles feature english menus and english & portuguese subtiltes (Brazil´s native language).
-to make the search easier, whenever the original and the brazilian title differ, the latter is featured right next to the original title in the parentheses.

Movies:

Pink Panter Collection (16:9 -FOX/MGM) - this R4 version has added extra features compared to the R1 version. They are "That's Panthertainment" -documentary (47min); "The Unknown Peter Sellers" -documentary (52min); and "The Commercial Peter Sellers". There's a different selection of Cartoons and the photo galleries are featured on the bonus disc.

Apollo 13 Theatrical Cut 2-disc SE (16:9 & DTS - Universal) - although the IMAX version is not present

Spy Hard (Duro de Espiar) (16:9 - BV)

While You Were Sleeping (Enquanto Vôce Dormia) (16:9 - BV)

Spartacus 2-disc SE (16:9 & DTS - Universal) - though the image quality is not good, but it seems to be same transfer used on the Criterion disc.

Hard Target (O Alvo) (100 min longer version, 16:9 - Universal)

The Last Of The Mohicans (O Último dos Moicanos) (113 min theatrical cut, 16:9 - WB) - also features a marvelous isloted score track in DD 5.1 and the theatrical trailer

Independence Day 2-disc SE (Extended Version, 16:9 & DTS - FOX) - it's coded for both R1 and R4.

The Longest Day 2-discs SE (O Mais Longo dos Dias) (16:9 - FOX).

The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen 2-disc SE (A Liga Extraordinária) (16:9 & DTS - FOX) - comes in a double slim keep case with a cardboard sleeve, it's coded for both R1 and R4.

Dune 2-disc SE (Duna) (Versátil) - features the theatrical cut in letterbox widescreen and DD 5.1 sound and the extended japanese cut in full frame and DD 2.0.

Terminator 3 - Rise Of The Machines (O Exterminador do Futuro 3 - A Rebelião das Máquinas) (16:9 & DTS - Columbia)

The Lion King (O Rei Leão) (16:9 & DTS - BV) - yes it's the new enhanced mix!!!

Ed Wood (16:9 - BV) - specs are the same as the version that leaked in the U.S. (not sure about the easter egg though)

Hulk 2-disc SE (16:9 & DTS-ES - Universal) - foiled cover that comes in a nice green Amaray.

Red Dragon 2-disc SE (Dragão Vermelho) (16:9 & DTS - Universal)

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial 3-disc SE (E.T. O Extra Terrestre) (16:9 & DTS-ES - Universal) - features both 1982 and 2002 cuts with DTS-ES and a third disc with extra features. (DISCONTINUED)

Back To The Future Trilogy (De Volta Para O Futuro) (16:9 & DTS - Universal) - corrected framing

The Scorpion King SE (O Escorpião Rei) (16: 9 & DTS - Universal)

Ned Kelly (16:9 & DTS - Universal)

Johnny English SE (16:9 & DTS - Universal)

Empire (Império) (16:9 & DTS - Universal)

Carlito's Way (O Pagamento Final) (16:9 & DTS - Universal)

Big Fat Liar (O Grande Mentiroso) (16:9 & DTS - Universal)

Liar Liar SE (O Mentiroso) (16:9 & DTS - Universal)

The Hitcher (A Morte Pede Carona) (16:9 - Universal) - also features DD 5.1

Wild At Heart (Coração Selvagem) (16:9 - Universal) - also features DD5.1

White Palace (Loucos de Paixão) (16:9 - Universal)- also features DD 5.1

How To Make An American Quilt (Colcha de Retalhos) (16:9 - Universal)- also features DD 5.1

Mask (Marcas do Destino) (16:9 - Universal)- the Cher flick

The Associate (O Sócio) (16:9 - Universal)- also features DD 5.1

Ffokes (Resgate Suicida) (16:9 - Universal) - the Roger Moore flick

Two Mules For Sister Sara (Os Abutres Têm Fome) (16:9 - Universal)

To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar (Para Wong Foo, Obrigado Por Tudo! Julie Newmar) (16:9 - Universal) - also features DD 5.1

Coogan's Bluff (Meu Nome É Coogan) (16:9 - Universal)

Lorenzo's Oil (O Óleo de Lorenzo) (16:9 - Universal)

Earthquake (Terremoto) (16:9 - Universal)

Deep Impact (Impacto Profundo) (16:9 - Dreamworks)

Good Morning Vietnam SE (Bom Dia Vietnã) (not region coded, 16:9 - BV) - though not too many extras

Dead Poets Society SE (Sociedade Dos Poetas Mortos) (not region coded, 16:9 - BV) - though not too many extras

Nixon (not region coded, 16:9 - BV) - no extra features

Taking Care Of Business (Milionário Num Instante) (Letterbox - BV) - the R1 version is P&S

Rocky Coll (16:9 - MGM) - features all 5 Rocky movies in anamorphic widescreen and the SE of Rocky

Year Of The Dragon (O Ano Do Dragão) (16:9 - MGM)

Robocop SE (Anamorphic) (MGM)

Rollerball SE (1975) (16:9 - MGM)

Misery SE (Louca Obsessão) (16:9 - MGM)

Planet Of The Apes Coll. (O Planeta Dos Macacos) (16:9 - FOX) - all movies are presented in anamorphic widescreen.

Phone Booth (Por Um Fio) (16:9 - FOX)- it looses the 4x3 version for extra making of documentary

Conan The Barbarian SE (Conan, O Bárbaro) (16:9 - FOX) - also features DD 5.1

Conan The Destroyer SE (Conan, O Destruidor) (16:9 - MGM) - also features DD 5.1

Commando (Comando Para Matar) (16:9 - FOX)

Rapid Fire (Rajada De Fogo) (16:9 - FOX) - the Brandon Lee flick

The King And I (O Rei E Eu) (16:9 - FOX)

The Full Monty (Ou Tudo Ou Nada) (16:9 - FOX)

Pushing Tin (Alto Controle) (16:9 - FOX)

The Edge (No Limite) (16:9 - FOX)

Dr. Dolittle (16:9 - FOX) - it's also available in a double pack with Dr. Dolittle 2

Brazil (16:9 - FOX)

Volcano (16:9 - FOX)

Mrs. Doubtfire (Uma Baba Quase Perfeita) (16:9 - FOX)

Big (Quero Ser Grande) (16:9 - FOX)

Broken Arrow (A Última Ameaça) (16:9 - FOX)

Bulworth (Politicamente Incorreto) (16:9 - FOX)

Shining Through (Uma Luz Na Escuridão) (16:9 - FOX) - never released R1

The Poseidon Adventure (O Destino De Poseidon) (16:9 - FOX)

Rising Sun (Sol Nascente) (16:9 - FOX)

Desperately Seeking Susan (Procura-se Susan Desesperadamente) (16:9 - FOX)

Great Expectations (Grandes Esperanças) (16:9 - FOX)

White Men Can't Jump (Homens Brancos Não Sabem Enterrar) (16:9 - FOX)

One Fine Day (Um Dia Especial) (16:9 - FOX)

Jingle All The Way (Um Heroi De Brinquedo) (16:9 - FOX)

Office Space (Como Enlouquecer Seu Chefe) (16:9 - FOX)

Home Alone 1 & 2 (Esqueceram De Mim 1 e 2) (16:9 - Fox)

Never Been Kissed (Nunca Fui Beijada) (16:9 - FOX)

Hook SE (16:9 - Columbia) - it has some extras that aren´t available on the R1 version

Chistmas Rush (Caçada De Natal) (16:9 - Columbia)

Saving Private Ryan 2-disc SE (O Resgate Do Soldado Ryan)(16:9, DTS - Paramount) - the extras are the same as the U.S. DD only disc, but they're moved on to the second disc to feature both DD and DTS tracks (very classy packing too).

Eyes Wide Shut (De Olhos Bem Fechados) (uncensored - WB)

The Shining (O Ilumidado) (120 min international cut - WB)

Friday The 13th Uncut (Sexta-Feira 13) (16:9 - WB) - not too many extras

Last but not least, over there Warner Titles come in Keep Cases!!!! (though some old snapper titles have not yet been repressed and sold on amaray)

Music DVDs (here the selection on rare tltles is really huge, so just some highlights):

Madonna: Drowned World Tour (DTS) (Warner)

Phill Collins: Seriously Live (Warner)

A-HA - Live at Vallhall - Homecoming - features DD 5.1 (Warner)

AC/DC - Stiff Upper Lip - Live (DTS) (Warner)

Elton John: Live in Barcelona - features DD 5.1 (Warner)

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Off The Map (DTS) (Warner)

Scorpions - Acoustica (DTS) (Warner)

Pink Floyd - Live At Pompeii - Director Version (Anamorphic) (Universal)

Angra - Live In São Paulo (Universal)

Bryan Adams - Live at Slane Castle - Irlanda 2000 (letterbox) (Universal)

Bryan Adams - Live At The Budokan - Japão 2002 (DD 5.1) (Universal)

Bryan Adams MTV Unplugged - EUA - 1998 (Universal)

Janet Jackson: Design Of A Decade 1986/1996 - EUA 1995 (Universal)

CraigL

Screenwriter
Question...

I thought R3 and R2 (Japan) were the only NTSC?

Is there a breakdown of this stuff???

And what are some good places to get them from?

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
According to this the entire 007 collection is available. Now, to try and understand what the site says...

Never mind, that site won't ship outside of Brazil. Does anyone have other options. I really want the two disc patton set for US$15.

CraigL

Screenwriter
That's what i'm trying to do. I can't translate any of the websites. :) I want to order and get some discs! :)

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
dvdworld.com.br seems to work, but nothing is in English. I had babelfish open the whole time. I picked up and Anamorphic copy of Brazil and a (presumably) uncensored copy of Eyes Wide Shut for about $25 (not including shipping, which they claim they will email).

AlexBC

Second Unit
Craig,

not only R3 and R2 Japan are NTSC, R4 Brazil has always been NTSC (though DVDs started to come out around here in 1999, couple years after the format debut). And I believe the whole south america is too, but Brazil's discs are the best, in most of the other countries the discs are not released by the studios themselves, but by small distribution companies.

Andy,

you're right, I forgot about those two, indeed Brazil is available in anamorphic (FOX) and Eyes Wide Shut is uncensored (I'll update the list). As for www.dvdworld.com.br it's the biggest online store around here, and presumably the best (though it has no english version as you mentioned, for non-portuguese speakers I guess bablefish works just fine).

And yes the whole 007 SE collection is out, it can be ordered from DVDworld too.

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
Alex,

Isn't it true that TV broadcasts in Brazil are in fact PAL 525 running at 60 Hz?

(not that this matters for our purposes)

AlexBC

Second Unit
Yes Andy that's true!!! It's called PAL-M, PAL resolution and NTSC 60 Hz

And I believe Moulin Rouge has not DTS sync problem either. I have the disc, but I haven't checked it yet, once I get it confirmed I'll update the list right away.

Now for the sad news, I found out that True Lies has been discontinued, but I think it can still be found on some retailers (for that matter I'll leave it on the list for now).

I found out about another store www.dvdbrazil.com . As a matter of fact it's an US store that imports discs from Brazil (so it's in english). But beware, they don't have the majority of the titles I posted, instead most of the titles in that store are crappy discs. If anybody is interested in any particular disc, you can ask me and I'll try to help.

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
Not to nit pick, but my understanding is that Brazilian PAL uses a 6 MHz channel (as opposed to 8 in europe) so therefore its main advantage over NTSC is that it does not store luminance with chrominance (no dot crawl). The resolution should be the same as in the US. This does not make a difference on DVD, which always stores the two separately.

AlexBC

Second Unit
Not to nit pick
Don't worry, I'd rather be correted anyway when I'm wrong. And yeah, you're probably right. It's just that I read somewhere that it had the PAL extended resolution, but then, I guess not.

As you said before, it doesn't really matter for our purposes. I just watch DVDs (and sometimes LDs) anyways, and thankfully they're NTSC.

Well as soon as I find out about more good rare titles I'll post over here. If there are any questions, feel free to ask.

CraigL

Screenwriter
I didn't see many DTS titles that weren't available over here.

There were a bunch of anamorphic titles that I'm interested in. just can't figure out where the hell to get them from. None of these sites are in english.

CraigL

Screenwriter
So does anyone have any good recommendations as to where to pick up discs??? Has anyone received theirs yet?

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my copy of Terry Gilliam’s Brazil from dvdworld.com.br. The process took about two and a half weeks from order to delivery (I selected the cheapest shipping method).

A few observations:

1. The quality of the image is outstanding! This anamorphic transfer is clearly a downconvert from an HD master. There is no visible edge enhancement, very few nicks and scratches and, in fact, a three dimensional quality to the image. This DVD is up to the quality of a new domestic Fox release (they have the international rights to Brazil).

2. This is the international cut of the film. It is not exactly the same as the one seen in the Criterion Collection release however it does carry Gilliam’s imprimatur and is the version he could not get Universal to release in the US.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Andy,

I just ordered a couple of discs from that very same place. How long did it take for them to respond with shipping prices? how much did shipping cost?

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
They responded pretty quickly (in about two biz. days). The cost for standard shipping was about $5.75 for two discs.

CraigL

Screenwriter
They responded pretty quickly (in about two biz. days). The cost for standard shipping was about $5.75 for two discs.
Good shipping.

They haven't responded yet...but I placed the order on Friday. we'll see :)

----
**EDIT**
Received email notification today.

So far, so good! I like this place!

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Andy_G,
Have you received your uncensored EYES WIDE SHUT yet? I'm dying to see how that will look! Will dvdworld.co.br ship to Canada? If so, I'll consider the PREDATOR SE as well as EWS.

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
Marty,
I assume that they will ship to Canada. EWS is pretty grainy but I suspect that that is part of the intended look (I think Kubrick shot w/ a bizarre lighting scheme).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks