Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: I.Q. (Recommended)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted August 29 2003 - 02:54 AM

Posted Image

I.Q.

Studio: Paramount

Year: 1994

Rated: PG

Length: 95 minutes

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

Audio: DD 5.1

Subtitles: English
Release Date: September 9, 2003

I.Q. is an unusually quirky romantic comedy from 1994, starring Meg Ryan, Tim Robbins and Walter Matthau, and directed by Fred Schepisi. The film was barely noticed upon release, earning only $26 million at the box office - which is a shame because it’s really a wonderful film, and it’s one of Walter Matthau’s best performances.

It’s the early 1950’s in Princeton, New Jersey. Catherine Boyd (Ryan), along with stodgy fiancé, drive to a garage when their car has trouble. It is there that mechanic Ed Walters (Robbins) instantly falls in love with Boyd.

Boyd is a brilliant young woman - a mathematician, and niece of the one and only Albert Einstein (Matthau). She sees something in the mechanic, but dismisses any idea of a relationship with him, not so much because of her fiancé, but because she feels the need to marry a genius.

Walters ends up meeting Einstein when he tries to return an item that Catherine left in his garage, and Einstein and his friends Kurt Godel (Lou Jacobi), Nathan Libknecht (Joseph Maher) and Boris Podolsky (Gene Saks), are immediately impressed by the young man. It seems that Albert is none too pleased with Catherine’s fiancé - so he and his friends take it upon themselves to play matchmaker.

Matthau, Jacobi, Maher and Saks have wonderful chemistry as four aging scientists / mathematicians from Princeton - espousing different theories as they work with Robbins’ character to make an impression on the niece. In some ways, the events parallel those in Schepisi’s earlier film, Roxanne, though this film is a bit more subtle, and much more low-key.

The Video
The picture’s aspect ratio is 2.35:1, and the transfer is anamorphic. The image is sharp, with no visible edge enhancement. Colors are well saturated, and shadow detail is good. There is some dust on the transfer, but it is minor. Overall, this looks very good.

The Audio
There is a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack, along with English Dolby Surround and French Stereo. The 5.1 track is nicely done. One doesn’t expect active surrounds and LFE from a romantic comedy, and it isn’t found here. Dialog is crisp and clear, and the music fills the front soundstage nicely.

Final Thoughts
This is a bare-bones release from Paramount, and I’m thrilled that this title is finally available on DVD. It would have been nice to have a director commentary - alas, there is none. At least, we have a nice anamorphic transfer and Dolby Digital sound.

If you’re unfamiliar with this film, do give this DVD a spin. You’ll be glad you did.

RECOMMENDED.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted August 29 2003 - 03:35 AM

Quote:
In some ways, the events parallel those in Schepisi’s later film, Roxanne, though this film is a bit more subtle, and much more low-key.

Um... Roxanne was made well before this film... (1987, to be exact)

It is a cute film, tho, and is worth seeing.

Jason

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted August 29 2003 - 04:34 AM

You're absolutely right... a slip of the fingers...

It's been corrected. Thanks for the catch.

-Scott

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted August 29 2003 - 05:23 AM

Man I loved this movie when it first came out. Matthau stole the show Posted Image GREAT to know it's finally on DVD, will be ordering in about five seconds Posted Image
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted August 29 2003 - 05:24 AM

Oh yeeeeah! I'm delighted this is anamorphic - time to throw out that old laserdisc! :-)

And Goldsmith's score rocks - very Raggedy Man meets Mr Baseball! :-)

John

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,116 posts

Posted August 30 2003 - 12:34 PM

Wonderful little rom-com from the early nineties. I quite like this film. Anyone that enjoys this might also check out a similar (and superior) film from the same time, Billy Crystal's brilliant "Forget Paris"

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter

• 1,153 posts

Posted August 31 2003 - 03:54 AM

Oh yeah...I'm definately picking this one up...a very charming film...

Quote:
And Goldsmith's score rocks - very Raggedy Man meets Mr Baseball! :-)

I'm another fan of the score...it never was released on CD though, was it?
My Extensive DVD collection.

Shameless Webpage Plug: My Movie Reviews.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Jalil

Jalil

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted September 08 2003 - 03:41 AM

Very happy this is finally out on dvd, i will be picking this one up.

fun movie.
"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony (Snatch)

"Where were you last night?, That's so long ago I don't remember."
"Will I see you tonight? I never make plans that far ahead." (Casablanca)
My DVD Collection

Forum Nav Content I Follow