-

Photo
- - - - -

Connection question: DVD and CD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Niel_JL

Niel_JL

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted August 28 2003 - 10:46 PM

I plan on buying a 5 disc progressive scan dvd player that will also work as my cd player.
I will run the video straight to the TV(component ready) and the sound through the receiver. Should I just connect the sound into, for example, optical input 1, and use that input for both DVD sound and CD player, or should I try to separate those(I could run the optical cable as the DVD sound and run a coax as the CD sound)that way when I want to listen to the CD i can press "CD" on the receiver and press "DVD" when watching a movie?

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown

Second Unit

• 449 posts

Posted August 29 2003 - 12:34 AM

It's really up to you; either way is fine. There is a third option, as well: Run analog RCA cables from the DVD-player L/R outputs to the CD-inputs. That way, you can compare the sound of the DVD-player's DAC's to the receiver's DAC's.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,398 posts

Posted August 29 2003 - 06:24 AM

i like rick's third option.

most of the time (but certainly not always) the receiver has a better DAC, so you should definitely experiment.

just remember, when you use a digital connection, the receiver does the decoding. when you use an analog connection, the player does the decoding.